Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

I’ve seen enough to know that Howe doesn’t rate Targett like that over Burn. I’m certain that if Howe fancied Targett properly he would have had more minutes since he’s been fit. 

Howe very much liked Burn at LB. 

If Trippier was in Targett’s position would he not have gotten more minutes?

Howe places a huge emphasis on players being fit enough to get in the team and play the high intensity he requires, he has said this a lot since he came in, and so when players come back from injury it takes a long time for them before they get back in the team. We saw it with Isak and its the same now with Targett.

The good thing about this squad and the players who've been left out is, the fight for a chance to regain a place is a big fight and one where it has to be taken with all that the player has to ensure a run.

It's brilliant for us because it not only offers the squad determination it also ups the games of all players scrapping and I think Eddie Howe plays on this to see the hunger.

It's why some players (Fraser as an instance) fall by the wayside and others start to enhance their game.

It's healthy and definitely sorts out the wheat from the chaff.

You start to see a dedicated squad mentality rather than one that, before, we didn't have in terms of biting at the bit to train like hell and be a part of a set up.

Another perspective is that Howe has his favourites and tends to stick with them. Once you’ve got the shirt, it’s hard to lose it. Dan Burn has started every game he’s been available for this season iirc. 

I believe Howe has the players and approach he really believes in and tends to stick with them when others might tinker. 

He’s not much of a rotation man either. Benitez was the first NUFC manager I’ve seen that did genuine rotation in a league season without European football.  

• 4 weeks later...

Good cameo. I fear we may see a reoccurrence of the Burn situation of  few weeks ago where he has a bad game then everyone begs for him to get dropped and then he absolutely smashes the next game and stays in the team.

Not sure what Targett can do other than wait for Burn to have more than one bad game in a row.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's Targett time now or very soon like. Burn has been brilliant and I don't want to change the back 4, but you can see how tired he is.

Yeah Burn has been solid over the season but seems to be swiftly losing steam, Targett presumably will get some more substantial playing time against Brentford or Villa

Was actually disappointed he didn't come on sooner. 

Would really be keen to see him start a game at some point and see if we improve even further.

Burn has done great this year but the only times we tend to look vulnerable in a game is when teams attack him.

The only thing burn has going for him at left back is height which is unusual for that position. Targett will offer us better balance when attacking better ball retention better crossing and the most important thing another option on set pieces. 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Poor for the 3rd.  I don’t think he starts against Spurs you know. 

Need to watch it again but I think he was caught flat footed by Anderson passing the ball straight to Villa, in fairness.

It's a pity Anderson hasn't pushed on since the Forest game.

22 hours ago, 80 said:

Need to watch it again but I think he was caught flat footed by Anderson passing the ball straight to Villa, in fairness.

It's a pity Anderson hasn't pushed on since the Forest game.

Having watched it again, yes he messed up badly switching off when he thought Anderson had the ball under control. He just should've stayed goalside and there would have been no third.