Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

25 minutes ago, teohgk said:

https://www.newcastleworld.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/steve-bruce-made-major-eddie-howe-claim-ahead-of-difficult-newcastle-united-exit-4235033

Former Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce has revealed he recommended current Magpies boss Eddie Howe as his successor prior to his ‘difficult’ departure from St James Park.

Speculation over Bruce’s future had been the subject of intense speculation prior to the PIF-led takeover of the club in October 2021. Talk of an exit increased once the £330million deal was confirmed but the former Manchester United defender remained in charge for the first game of the new era as Tottenham Hotspur travelled to Tyneside.

With celebrations over Mike Ashley’s exit reaching fever pitch, the Magpies made the best possible start when Callum Wilson fired them in front inside a minute. However, reality hit as an underperforming United side fell to a 3-2 defeat in what proved to be Bruce’s final game in charge.

Reflecting on his exit, Bruce revealed he told Magpies co-owners Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad Ghodoussi to ‘take him out of the equation’ as he felt he was ‘the only negative left’ from Mike Ashley’s 13-year ownership at St James Park.

Speaking on the Business of Sport podcast, the former Magpies manager said: “The people that took over at Newcastle, Amanda Staveley and her husband, they came to see me and if you remember, we were playing Spurs on the Saturday and that was going to be my 1,000th game as a manager.

“They both came in and said ‘listen Steve, how can we help you?.

“I said, ‘look, I’m the only negative left’. The euphoria of Newcastle, the support, the crowd, everything about it, it was as if the doom and gloom had shifted and it was euphoric. And they’ve had an unbelievable rise in 18 months to two years.

“But I had to say to them ‘you might have to take me out of the equation’. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had to say, but I realised it was what was best for the club because everything was euphoric around it. The only negative was me.”

United’s initial search for a successor focused on current Aston Villa manager Unai Emery, who could not be tempted away from his previous role with La Liga club Villarreal. Eddie Howe was appointed almost three weeks after Bruce’s departure and the former Magpies boss admitted he suggested the current incumbent at St James Park as one of two possible successors.

“They even asked me, and I can say this on record, who I would recommend and I did recommend Eddie, and I hope Steven doesn’t mind, but I recommended Steven Gerrard too - but somebody like Eddie or Steven, young, take it on.

“It was difficult, really difficult and I’ve never done that before. Sort of, given up but I realised it was best for the club.”

This cunt is fucking unbelievable :memelol:

maury-well.gif

Bears repeating.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1517124/Newcastle-news-Steve-Bruce-brutal-dig-Eddie-Howe-new-manager-Premier-League

"It is absolutely the biggest pile of s**** I have ever heard,” Bruce said amid speculation that his job was insecure.  

"Some of it needs to be more measured. I give respect. When I see polls, the next manager and the fella from Bournemouth (Howe), I find it disrespectful, I have to tell you.” 

Aiming a tirade at the journalist in question, Bruce raged: “Your paper was gunning for a manager that got a team relegated last year.

Aye, Steve, you "recommended" Howe to Amanda and Ghodoussi. Fucking plank.

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

This quote was from ages ago wasn't it? He was spouting this shite with Colin Wanker on his podcast

Well, if you really want to be put off your supper....the latest quotes were from four days ago...

Oh what an honourable man you are Mr. Bruce, begging to be sacked for the good of your boyhood club? Couldn’t have just walked though, saving the club 8 million, no? Didn’t think so. Charlatan.

Edited by McCormick

“I said, ‘look, I’m the only negative left’. The euphoria of Newcastle, the support, the crowd, everything about it, it was as if the doom and gloom had shifted and it was euphoric. And they’ve had an unbelievable rise in 18 months to two years.

“But I had to say to them ‘you might have to take me out of the equation’. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had to say, but I realised it was what was best for the club because everything was euphoric around it. The only negative was me.”

"Then they asked if I would be prepared to resign and leave with some dignity but without a payoff, obviously I told them there was no chance that was going to happen and immediately booked a jolly up in Dubai for me, the Steve's and my idiot son. Absolute jackpot"

"Look" the only reason he recommended Howe and Gerrard "young, take it on" was because he thought they were to young and wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of us so he wanted it to end with people saying "should have stuck with Bruce" 

Fucking snake. 

Ashley selling removed his safety net and he knew immediately that he was utterly fucked. New owners would have expectations of competence and ability and he knew he was failing miserably and would be found out immediately in the most embarrassing way possible. So he holds his hands up and 'offers' himself up before he's found out and binned like birdshit from a windscreen. Begging to be sacked whilst pocketing £8m in the process, all under the guise of wanting what's best for the club. I buy all of that actually, it's him down to a tee - fucking pathetic, useless, disingenuous, lying manipulative and gormless piece of fucking shit. 

He's been absolutely shown up by Howe since he took over Bruce's shambles. And he's still trying to spin it so he's the good guy. Except no cunt has fallen for it, every cunt has seen him for exactly what he is. He just needs to disappear so the fans can forget he ever existed, he doesn't even deserve to be remembered ffs

My abiding memory of Steve Bruce didn’t come from his time managing us.  It came from watching the VHS back the day after we beat Man Utd 5-0 (I used to tape the games back then, and watch them hungover the next morning.  When it was still a bit exciting to be able to go to the match and watch it all over again on telly the day after).

Bruce had left Man Utd earlier that year - but you wouldn’t think that the ‘lifelong Newcastle fan’ had left.  The cunt was whining on about the score line, and how Man Utd should have had a pelanty, and how that would have changed the game entirely.  My dad still worked with Bruce’s dad at Parsons, and I understand Bruce snr was given a ribbing at work for it that week (Bruce snr really was a massive NUFC supporter).

The whole ‘I’m a Geordie and it’s my club’ patter?  Sorry Steve - no sale. 

19 hours ago, midds said:

Ashley selling removed his safety net and he knew immediately that he was utterly fucked. New owners would have expectations of competence and ability and he knew he was failing miserably and would be found out immediately in the most embarrassing way possible. So he holds his hands up and 'offers' himself up before he's found out and binned like birdshit from a windscreen. Begging to be sacked whilst pocketing £8m in the process, all under the guise of wanting what's best for the club. I buy all of that actually, it's him down to a tee - fucking pathetic, useless, disingenuous, lying manipulative and gormless piece of fucking shit. 

He's been absolutely shown up by Howe since he took over Bruce's shambles. And he's still trying to spin it so he's the good guy. Except no cunt has fallen for it, every cunt has seen him for exactly what he is. He just needs to disappear so the fans can forget he ever existed, he doesn't even deserve to be remembered ffs

I'm avoiding threads about this cunt nowadays, mainly because I can't stand his snivelling patter, but that hits the nail on the head.