Newcastle United vs Wolverhampton Wanderers, 8/4/2022 @ 20:00 (Sky)

LRD

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

Like suggesting dropping Wood and playing Max upfront just boggles my mind when I see it. 

:lol: 

The amount of people that have spent their whole life watching football week in week out and are still clueless about it is staggering.

11 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Man, I don’t get this. Wood is objectively NOT providing anything to this team. Headed duels to no one? Awful movement? Ball bounces off him? Those are not traits you can carry in a team. Opposition defences don’t give a fuck about him. He works hard, I’ll give you that. But that’s ten a penny 

Aye like him giving us shape and our players essentially winning games through off the ball effort doesn't seem to be working anymore. 

I'd even rather we just stick Willock or something up top at this point. I cannot think of much worse than persisting with Wood.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Man, I don’t get this. Wood is objectively NOT providing anything to this team. Headed duels to no one? Awful movement? Ball bounces off him? Those are not traits you can carry in a team. Opposition defences don’t give a fuck about him. He works hard, I’ll give you that. But that’s ten a penny 

Pre-Wood any sort of long ball forward was effectively giving the ball back to the opposition. Wood is so strong with those headed duels that the team can play the ball forward and be pretty confident that they can commit the likes of Max, Fraser, Willock and Joe forward to contest second balls 100% of the time, rather than preparing for the ball coming immediately back at them. He is also very committed presser, he never shirks pressing duties, and generally presses in a very intelligent way. Know when he is best to press the man vs when its more advantageous to close off a passing lane. If you look at players average positions when attacking during our hot streak Willock spent a lot of time super close to Wood, almost like a number 10. This isn't possible with Max or even Wilson up front. 

Yes, his goal threat is less than ideal, but it isn't a coincidence that we have looked so much better since he has settled into the team.

5 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

I still don't get the sentiment a lot of people seem to have re Wood. You see it mostly on Twitter but it's start to creep in here as well. There is no way he will (or should) come out of the 11. He isn't scoring goals, but in terms of how we're currently playing he is one of the most important players in the team. Like suggesting dropping Wood and playing Max upfront just boggles my mind when I see it. 

When the only alternative is Gayle or playing Murphy/ASM up front, he starts by default.

52 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Wolves have Boly (physical imposing and mobile) Coady, very good at reading the game, and aerially, and Saiss, converted DM who can play.

If anyone thinks wood is troubling them I genuinely can’t believe it. 

It’s not beyond the realms to be fair,  sure Wood scored a hatrick away to Wolves in April 2021.

I can’t see where our goals will come from at the minute, we haven’t scored nor looked like scoring from open play since the Southampton game. Couple this with playing one of the best defences in the league and I think we will do well to get a draw.

I’m going to this. First game since we turned over Man City under Rafa. Looking forward to finding out whether Bruno’s play is as silky in the flesh as it looks on a screen. I’ll go 2-2

8 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

I can’t see where our goals will come from at the minute, we haven’t scored nor looked like scoring from open play since the Southampton game. Couple this with playing one of the best defences in the league and I think we will do well to get a draw.

Bruno 40 yard backheel screamer for me 

Shooting the breeze….

Dubs

Schar         Lascelles       Burn

Manq                                                            Targett

Bruno          Joelinton

Willock                                  ASM

Wood

49 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Shooting the breeze….

Dubs

Schar         Lascelles       Burn

Manq                                                            Targett

Bruno          Joelinton

Willock                                  ASM

Wood

Willocks out isn’t he?

Guest HTT II

They are beatable, we should be looking for all 3 points. It’s a home game, 1 point wouldn’t be the end of the world, but we need to be winning those remaining home games we have left, of the winnable ones anyway.

20 hours ago, ManDoon said:

That is what is happening now though. Any long ball is getting returned straight to us, he can not hold the ball up at all. It’s one of his biggest weaknesses. 

Pressing is so basic though, anyone can do it. Defences don’t respect him so they don’t care about him. 

Neither of these points are accurate. Go and watch us pre-Wood then post-Wood (giggidy), specifically time spent in the opposing teams half. The improvement there has been drastic. 

The pressing point, just go watch Everton for an example of how poor pressing can totally fuck everything up. It has to be done intelligently, and it has to be done as a team. It may sound easy in concept, but it really isn't. 

Anyway, I actually think we'll play something that looks like a 4-2-3-1 tomorrow. Very similar to what we adjusted to when we played Southampton.

Dubravka

Krafth     Burn     Schar    Targett

Joe    Shelvey    Bruno

Fraser            Wood            Murphy

Doesn't sound like Willock is going to make it, and could probably do with coming out of the team anyway. Long term think Bruno is going to be that deeper CM, but in the short term I think freeing him of the heavy duty defensive burden could be good. 

16 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Neither of these points are accurate. Go and watch us pre-Wood then post-Wood (giggidy), specifically time spent in the opposing teams half. The improvement there has been drastic. 

The pressing point, just go watch Everton for an example of how poor pressing can totally fuck everything up. It has to be done intelligently, and it has to be done as a team. It may sound easy in concept, but it really isn't. 

Anyway, I actually think we'll play something that looks like a 4-2-3-1 tomorrow. Very similar to what we adjusted to when we played Southampton.

Dubravka

Krafth     Burn     Schar    Targett

Joe    Shelvey    Bruno

Fraser            Wood            Murphy

Doesn't sound like Willock is going to make it, and could probably do with coming out of the team anyway. Long term think Bruno is going to be that deeper CM, but in the short term I think freeing him of the heavy duty defensive burden could be good. 

Crazy formation