Newcastle United 2 - 1 Leicester City (17/04/2022)

Disco

We were better first half but it was scrappy. Second half they utterly bored the whole ground to death by keeping the ball endlessly and doing fuck-all with it. We didn't have an answer til right at the death so I'd put it down as a flukey win but not because they were particularly impressive. 

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

We were better first half but it was scrappy. Second half they utterly bored the whole ground to death by keeping the ball endlessly and doing fuck-all with it. We didn't have an answer til right at the death so I'd put it down as a flukey win but not because they were particularly impressive. 

See my response above.  Not a flukey win at all.  Eddie is the man.

Rodgers often does that, but Pep does it often as well. Think it's that mentality they have where results come from playing the right way and if they play the right way and don't win, they're not going to criticise the team.

Leicester reminded me of Brighton who reminded me of Rodgers' Swansea. Pass you to death, try and exhaust you, force the result... unsuccessfully. We've won both of these very similar games 2-1 with one goal from a set piece and the other on the break; both goals conceded were from set pieces too. 

There's something very dangerous about us on the counter, like (or 'in transitions' as Howe seems to deliberately call it). If you're going to tiki-taka at SJP then you'd better hope it creates at least a couple goals or you're going to be vulnerable to those breaks. 

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Leicester reminded me of Brighton who reminded me of Rodgers' Swansea. Pass you to death, try and exhaust you, force the result... unsuccessfully. We've won both of these very similar games 2-1 with one goal from a set piece and the other on the break; both goals conceded were from set pieces too. 

There's something very dangerous about us on the counter, like (or 'in transitions' as Howe seems to deliberately call it). If you're going to tiki-taka at SJP then you'd better hope it creates at least a couple goals or you're going to be vulnerable to those breaks. 

was absolutely perfect Joe Willock there. The kind of run that he did on loan. Quick move and boom he’s off - he’s faster than most with that long stride of his.

Guest reefatoon
7 hours ago, Manxst said:

Despite his two goals, still slow. Worrying. 

Aye, he started that run in the Wolves game, eventually got in the box for the last minute of this game to head in winner.

13 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Aye, he started that run in the Wolves game, eventually got in the box for the last minute of this game to head in winner.

Think he was actually looking to get into the box for the Crystal Palace game, but fortunately arrived early. 

3 hours ago, huss9 said:

its been said a million times before, but who the fuck walks out the ground on 88minutes?

their loss.

there was around 30 kids and parents from a Dutch football team upped and left on 80 mins in the leases in front of me , I found it utterly bizarre you travel all this was to fuck off early and the kids be denied that ending.shocking call from those in charge of them .

2 hours ago, GWN said:

there was around 30 kids and parents from a Dutch football team upped and left on 80 mins in the leases in front of me , I found it utterly bizarre you travel all this was to fuck off early and the kids be denied that ending.shocking call from those in charge of them .

In all fairness, they literally have a ferry to catch.

I was coming back from my friends at 5-ish and saw a couple of the DFDS busses carrying a large amount of people in Newcastle shirts down towards the Royal Quays. The ferry must have waited a little while to take them back because it’s usually down river anytime from 4:30.

7 hours ago, Kanji said:

was absolutely perfect Joe Willock there. The kind of run that he did on loan. Quick move and boom he’s off - he’s faster than most with that long stride of his.

I think we need to find a way to get him in the team alongside the middle 3 today. Too good to miss out. Perhaps in the Almiron role? 

That burst of pace was brilliant, exhilarating. 

8 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

What game was Rodgers watching? :lol: I thought they were awful in the second half, a couple of scrambles in the box aside, they had naff all chances.

”Outstanding” they were apparently.

:serious:

They had a lot of ball but didn’t do much with it. I don’t remember Dubravka having to do much at all 

Rogers is a really good manager like, but like Potter he doesn't have the personel really. City will pass you to death but will pretty much always create chances as their squad is on another level, you cannot do the same with upper-mid tier squads like Leicester and Brighton, both would probably be better with a more direct approach.

Thinking about the game yesterday and as terrible as it was i don't think i've celebrated a goal like i did for Bruno's in a long time, the fact that he decided to make that run after running his socks off all game tells you all you need to know about the man, i don't think many other players would make that decision and that time and he's got his reward for it.

It's easily the most I've celebrated in years. There's been some really good moments on the pitch since we got going but that's easily the moment of the season imo; dramatic in itself for obvious reasons but symbolic in that it really shrugged off the sweaty paw of another potential Ashley relegation. And it couldn't have been converted by a more fitting bellwether in terms of where we're (hopefully) going. A real goal for the new era, that one!

Watched the game in a packed pub in the middle of Plymouth yesterday, normally when I watch Newcastle games in public, I tend to try and reign in my emotions a touch as to not look like a complete weirdo, but when the goal went in yesterday I full on screamed, and lost myself for a good 10 seconds, and scared the lights out of everyone around me. 

Helped there was one other Newcastle fan in the pub :lol:

10 hours ago, huss9 said:

its been said a million times before, but who the fuck walks out the ground on 88minutes?

their loss.

Plenty have always done it, down the years. It's the same folk who always turn up late after kick off  as well as leaving their seat early for HT.