Newcastle United 2-0 Arsenal (18/05/2022)

Yorkie

I said before the game I fancied us to win this, but the manner of the win was a surprise tbh, that's as good football as we've played in a long time. We didn't just win, we battered them, and we are talking a side who were in a CL position before today.

Just now, TRon said:

I said before the game I fancied us to win this, but the manner of the win was a surprise tbh, that's as good football as we've played in a long time. We didn't just win, we battered them, and we are talking a side who were in a CL position before today.

Entirely possible I'm just floating on air but tonight wasn't even a fucking win. Tonight was a statement.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Entirely possible I'm just floating on air but tonight wasn't even a fucking win. Tonight was a statement.

It was. Even the Sky team were recognising it.

6 minutes ago, 54 said:

I really need to go to sleep for work in the morning, but I just want to keep scrolling through all the reaction after that :lol:

My eyeballs are fucking falling out but I'm addicted to this shit :lol:

8 minutes ago, 54 said:

I really need to go to sleep for work in the morning, but I just want to keep scrolling through all the reaction after that :lol:

I'm up at 5 tomorrow, what the fuck am I doing here?  :lol:

What a fucking performance that was. I thought we had a good chance, but I never thought we'd batter them for 90 minutes and completely play them off the park.

I'll be exercising my option to work from home tomorrow, and rolling out of bed at 09:59 for a 10am start. Now though? I have beer.

24 minutes ago, Cronky said:

It feels like we're back.

I've never completely lost faith in Longstaff. With the pressure off, he looked a lot more like the player that we thought he was two years ago. I'd like him to stay.

His pass to Wilson was class

56 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I always always fancy us against Arsenal at home. Same with Man United. And especially night time matches. It's the stopped clock being right twice a day of predictions. :lol:

It’s easy to say with hindsight, and I’ve only seen a few highlights really, but Arsenal have seemed…broken…for a while now. A couple of injuries to the wrong people and they seem incapable of switching gears or taking different approaches. We all knew (I presume) that with Wilson back, close to your best side, a guaranteed rocking atmosphere and the final home game with no pressure that Newcastle would come out of the traps flying but if Arsenal had any confidence or swagger left they’d soak it up and look to hit on the break with pace. They’ve not looked convincing for weeks now and even the wins against Chelsea and Man U were achieved against depleted and lacklustre teams (IIRC).

I thought you’d be the better side but was primarily concerned that you’d shoot yourselves in the foot. Saka is very dangerous but Nketiah is still a bit raw to rely on from the bits I’ve seen. What does Laca actually do? Sounds like you managed to sustain the pressure for most of the game which is really impressive. It’s becoming a cliche but the Arsenal fans who were so proud of how young their team is have seen the downside that can bring.

Strangely I’m still not convinced that Spurs will get top 4 as weird things happen on the final day. Just takes one red card and the Partridge is among the pigeons. It’s just pretty clear that two clubs are far ahead of the rest, I’d argue that us and Chelsea are the next two, and then it’s a handful of underperformers. West Ham and Leicester (and I guess Man U) have obviously suffered from playing in Europe. It’s just amusing that Arsenal might miss out on top four despite spending a fucking fortune and not having to worry about Europe…or even the FA Cup.

Next year will be fascinating (for you guys and those still enraptured by football :lol:). 

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Any pundit or journalist trying to give Arsenal injuries as an excuse must be off their rocker. That was their strongest starting XI minus two players

To be fair, Tomiyasu, White and Gabriel were tonight or recently coming back from injury. No excuse, but context. They got wrecked by our press.

1 minute ago, leffe186 said:

It’s easy to say with hindsight, and I’ve only seen a few highlights really, but Arsenal have seemed…broken…for a while now. A couple of injuries to the wrong people and they seem incapable of switching gears or taking different approaches. We all knew (I presume) that with Wilson back, close to your best side, a guaranteed rocking atmosphere and the final home game with no pressure that Newcastle would come out of the traps flying but if Arsenal had any confidence or swagger left they’d soak it up and look to hit on the break with pace. They’ve not looked convincing for weeks now and even the wins against Chelsea and Man U were achieved against depleted and lacklustre teams (IIRC).

I thought you’d be the better side but was primarily concerned that you’d shoot yourselves in the foot. Saka is very dangerous but Nketiah is still a bit raw to rely on from the bits I’ve seen. What does Laca actually do? Sounds like you managed to sustain the pressure for most of the game which is really impressive. It’s becoming a cliche but the Arsenal fans who were so proud of how young their team is have seen the downside that can bring.

Strangely I’m still not convinced that Spurs will get top 4 as weird things happen on the final day. Just takes one red card and the Partridge is among the pigeons. It’s just pretty clear that two clubs are far ahead of the rest, I’d argue that us and Chelsea are the next two, and then it’s a handful of underperformers. West Ham and Leicester (and I guess Man U) have obviously suffered from playing in Europe. It’s just amusing that Arsenal might miss out on top four despite spending a fucking fortune and not having to worry about Europe…or even the FA Cup.

Next year will be fascinating (for you guys and those still enraptured by football :lol:). 

Yeah they were very poor on the break, they wanted to control game bt were totally unable to and they barely threatened for most the game. When they did try and stretch the game and get it going end to end they couldnt sort out final ball at all. I think they lack cool heads on the pitch to take sting out of games. They needed to slow down the game and hit us on break when they got a chance, we were so fired up they needed to quieten the crowd.