James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

It's not the first time this window either. After his Isak exclusive, which he took down with another exclusive just a day later, he claimed we'd more or less abandoned our entire list of targets. It's like he's become a parody of himself, I'm quite enjoying it.

It's funny, although most of us would welcome James Maddison signing, is he really needing a move to improve his England chances etc? He's been selected once, Southgate is pretty consistent in selecting the same midfielders, so Maddison would only really ever be on standby if there was a serious injury, in terms of Southgate's past selections, Maddison is behind a great deal of midfielders no matter where you'd likely fit him in, and the way I see it, in southgate's set up, he doesn't really fit.

Rice/Mount/Phillips/Bellingham/Henderson/Foden/Grealish/Sterling/Ward-Prowse/Gallagher/Smith-Rowe.

I'm really surprised instead we don't turn our attention to someone like Conor Gallagher, he's a player who has a great chance of still becoming an England player, most of his loan development has seen progression, from Swansea, WBA, and recent as Crystal Palace where he chipped in with 10 goals and 5 assists, still only 22.

I'm quite surprised that there's not plenty of clubs chasing his signature, if anything it's been relatively quiet in terms of interest in Gallagher. 

He's certainly a player with a decent future, but I personally don't see it with Chelsea.

Speaking to Sky Sports , Howe said: “We are still looking for one/two players that can make a difference for us. We’ll never stop until the window shuts to try and add to the group. [It’s] no secret that we’ve been looking at a couple of attacking players that can make a difference for us. 

Different profiles, you know, but as you say, until you get a deal over the line then we’ll continue to look and see what we can do. But as I’ve said, the pool of players we’re looking at is actually quite small, it’s not a huge amount of names. So that’s why the deals become difficult.”

Luke has blocked me for calling out the fact before the Takeover happened he was saying Staveley was a time waster and he know seems to be questioning the owners ambitions so why the hell would they give him any information. 

Tbh if another significantly higher bid isn’t made then I’ll wonder what this was all about. The reported bids so far are fine as opening bids but had no chance of getting it done.

Edited by Kimbo

Just now, Kimbo said:

Tbh if another significantly higher big isn’t made then I’ll wonder what this was all about. The reported bids so far are fine as opening bids but had no chance of getting it done.

Yeah I agree with this.

I’m all for not being taken for mugs in the market but consistently underbidding and then seemingly walking away isn’t the super savvy transfer policy many are saying it is. You just end up buying players lower down on your list. I do however understand that we apparently have a budget so it’s perhaps not massively straightforward.

I wholeheartedly believe we’ll make 2 solid, if underwhelming (to some) signings by the end of the window so no reason to panic.

Just now, Kimbo said:

Tbh if another significantly higher big isn’t made then I’ll wonder what this was all about. The reported bids so far are fine as opening bids but had no chance of getting it done.

I do get the feeling there may be one more bid to go in, likely after this weekends matches. But still don't think that will get it done. 

Bidding ~20 million under what they want and then walking away doesn't build some tough reputation tbh. It's more likely to make clubs think you're just wasting time. Now if we went to something like 6-8 million off what they said they wanted and said we're leaving that on the table till the end of the window, your choice, then thats tough. 

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Bidding ~20 million under what they want and then walking away doesn't build some tough reputation tbh. It's more likely to make clubs think you're just wasting time. Now if we went to something like 6-8 million off what they said they wanted and said we're leaving that on the table till the end of the window, your choice, then thats tough. 

I think this is what will happen.

We won't leave the bid on the table though. We need time for a plan B.

I've said 52/54m is the middle ground and I will stick by that. The Dubravka thing could be interesting too.

We were never going to go flying in with the third offer. We'd look incredibly desperate. We need them to know that our next bid is our final bid and that we aren't fucking about.

Maddison needs to go knocking on the door.

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Jacobs suggesting Maddison is Howe driven. 

That actually feels me with more confidence, as it'll mean there is a plan in how to incorporate him into the team, and we're not just buying him as he's available. 

Leicester's defence is coming off a poor second half to the season. Their XG against from Jan 1st this year has been worse than Watford's, so they need to strengthen, not sell their best defender. Soyancu is out of contract in 2023 and likely to go soon, so selling Fofana would also mean Leicester looking at replacing two CHs. DM Ndidi is increasingly missing games with injury and they need a new keeper once Schmeichel goes.

Tielemans may not go until the final day of the window, so another player like Maddison or Barnes may be their best hope of getting in some funds that they'll actually have time to use.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

As if we're "not even entirely sure what the next step is" :lol:

Ashworth in his office scratching his head.

If ever there was confirmation that journalists know absolutely nothing about what we're actually doing it's that like :lol:

Edited by Hanshithispantz