Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

As a first XI maybe, but as a squad we are still way off imo. It’s going to take a few more windows to stack up the depth we need to push those top 6 places, one or two key injuries leaves us looking a whole different side right now.

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

As a first XI maybe, but as a squad we are still way off imo. It’s going to take a few more windows to stack up the depth we need to push those top 6 places, one or two key injuries leaves us looking a whole different side right now.

After seeing Danny Simpson get a premier league medal, I think anything is possible!

But I do agree, even with Paqueta our squad as a whole is not strong enough to get in to top six, add a RW and ST with Paqueta and we will definitely be able to do some serious damage if the signings step up like our January signings.

59 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

However good Almiron looks, he'll need replacing unless he can develop some end product.

He had none of that on Saturday.

I say this as someone who is desperate for him to come good, and has felt like this since he joined. But time is running out for him, he needs to (quite literally) start delivering.

He's looking better but over the course of the season he's going to let us down and cost us. There was chances on Saturday were he could have slid in with his right and another where he had a clear chance on his right about 6 years out and somehow ended up on the edge of the box trying to cut back on his left :lol:

19 minutes ago, worthy said:

After seeing Danny Simpson get a premier league medal, I think anything is possible!

But I do agree, even with Paqueta our squad as a whole is not strong enough to get in to top six, add a RW and ST with Paqueta and we will definitely be able to do some serious damage if the signings step up like our January signings.

Or us finishing 5th under Pardew, again extreme circumstances with the squad all staying fit that season. The Leicester stuff is just incomparable though lol, 5000 to 1 and all that.. the stars just aligned for them that season. I know your comment was tongue in cheek mind. 

Agree though. If we can make 3 more signings from here and they all hit the ground running we can make a serious go of it.

1 hour ago, Skeletor said:

I like both of them but Maddison isn't in our self-imposed price range.

Not sure it’s self imposed as such. According to that Swiss Ramble report the figure of £40m is what we have left to spend without falling foul of FFP, given our lack of commercial income/ sponsorship money 

36 minutes ago, LV said:

Not sure it’s self imposed as such. According to that Swiss Ramble report the figure of £40m is what we have left to spend without falling foul of FFP, given our lack of commercial income/ sponsorship money 

I mean I don't doubt that's accurate, but how come teams like Everton seem to be able to just do whatever they want? Commercially they're not ahead of us by any meaningful amount.

9 hours ago, LV said:

The potential spend he referred to of £41m isn't the same as buying a player for 41m because a player's fee is amortised over the length of their contract. Also, he was talking about for the accounting period ending the end of next season and assuming that our revenue stays the same, which will increase this season and dramatically increase next season when we can get a new main sponsor.

Edited by Jackie Broon

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

However good Almiron looks, he'll need replacing unless he can develop some end product.

He had none of that on Saturday.

I say this as someone who is desperate for him to come good, and has felt like this since he joined. But time is running out for him, he needs to (quite literally) start delivering.

Should have had an assist. not sure if the defender got there but it looked like a misjudgement from Maxi.

1 hour ago, worthy said:

If you like Lucas Paqueta and getting goals home and away :lol: 

sign this mad lad up. I dream of an all Brazilian midfield Bruno slicing the defense open, Paqueta latching on and Big Joe just making sure he gets through, the dream right there.

We got ourselves a real Rupert Holmes over here. [emoji38]

2 hours ago, andyc35i said:

Are we thinking that we’d rather have him over Maddison?

Maddison has the PL experience and is proven at this level - Paqueta though is Brazilian and is Brunos mate which edges it for me.:lol:  I would be happy with either - more than happy in fact over the moon ha.  A midfield of Paqueta, Bruno and Joelinton would boss most games. It is top four good.

Edited by duo

41 minutes ago, duo said:

Maddison has the PL experience and is proven at this level - Paqueta though is Brazilian and is Brunos mate which edges it for me.:lol:  I would be happy with either - more than happy in fact over the moon ha.  A midfield of Paqueta, Bruno and Joelinton would boss most games. It is top four good.

Don't believe we are getting either like, but dare to dream! Either would be immense. I'm more on the Maddison side given the statement of taking one of a top 10 rivals top players. We know he will have instant impact and more likely to stick with us and not move to another top European club. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

The potential spend he referred to of £41m isn't the same as buying a player for 41m because a player's fee is amortised over the length of their contract. Also, he was taking about for the accounting period ending the end of next season and assuming that our revenue stays the same, which will increase this season and dramatically increase next season when we can get a new main sponsor.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I definitely found it hard to follow but that’s more to do with me being a fuckwit with numbers than the article itself. 

Do wages also come out of that £41m figure? 

21 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Unusually for me, I am not certain, but I am very optimistic that we will get P A Q U E T A very soon . . . 

Depends where on the board those letter go though for what score you'll get. 

1 hour ago, madras said:

Depends where on the board those letter go though for what score you'll get. 

It's a mad Scrabble for his signature. If he signs we'll be due a night on the tiles! 

Edited by elbee909

I'd have wanted Maddison over Paqueta due to him being league proven, but now Shelvey is out, we need cover for Bruno. Paqueta looks like he could play deeper, in a double pivot at least if not on his own. He has the physicality to do it. Maddison is pure AM.

At a push, Paqueta can also play false nine, which is good given our squad lightness up top and appeals to the Cesc fanboy in me.

7 hours ago, Jaqen said:

He's looking better but over the course of the season he's going to let us down and cost us. There was chances on Saturday were he could have slid in with his right and another where he had a clear chance on his right about 6 years out and somehow ended up on the edge of the box trying to cut back on his left :lol:

im not sure you can call it a chance at that distance

Only thing which makes me a bit dubious about this Paqueta news is that we haven't made an official bid, so it must have been leaked from Lyon's end. Why would we suddenly brief journalists we are about to pitch in with a bid for him? Seems like we have probably made tentative moves, and Lyon have leaked it in the hope of drawing in bids from other clubs.

25 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

im not sure you can call it a chance at that distance

Looked like he just needed to slide in and get his right foot on it from where I was sat but wanted it to come on his left foot instead and the chance was gone.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Only thing which makes me a bit dubious about this Paqueta news is that we haven't made an official bid, so it must have been leaked from Lyon's end. Why would we suddenly brief journalists we are about to pitch in with a bid for him? Seems like we have probably made tentative moves, and Lyon have leaked it in the hope of drawing in bids from other clubs.

Why would Lyon go, 'right, who should we contact to get this news out...does anyone have Bailey's number?'