Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I’d also add and remind people no EPL club wanted to sell us a forward and we’re dicking us about by hinting they would then moving goalposts etc and wasting our time and causing havoc whilst we allocated the rest of the budget on other signings so the only forward we could buy is one with a release clause so the club couldn’t prevent it and also with someone willing to join the club in deep relegation trouble. 

EH wanted premier league experience, excellent fitness record and great attitude which is what we got and it worked. Job done. You could argue we could’ve shopped abroad that window for a striker but then you could argue that might of backfired and it also wasn’t what EH wanted to work with.

People still questioning the Wood signing are beyond help in my eyes now ?

And it disrupted Burnley who at that time looked like our main competition for the third relegation spot and in fact ended up in that spot.

It's a bit difficult to discuss because Chris Wood is all of the following:

• helpful last season to our scrap against relegation
  • not especially helpful to us this year on the pitch
  • massively overvalued at 25m
  • seemingly a nice guy and a hard worker
  • nowhere near good enough to play routinely for us
  • well-liked by his teammates and part of a successful group
  • expendable

Wood had a role to play, he played it. He didn't control his own transfer fee, I don't blame him for that. But his role has changed and, well, disappeared, if all goes to plan. We should move him along with our best wishes and continue onwards.

Just now, GideonShandy said:

And it disrupted Burnley who at that time looked like our main competition for the third relegation spot and in fact ended up in that spot.

It really didn't. Wood had been shite all season for them.

I can understand the other arguments though.

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

What are you not understanding about this?! It’s really not hard. I admit I was wrong about Chris Wood not winning headers, 100%. Gold star for you.

But those headers he wins don’t do anything, so it’s a shit statistic! If you want to crack open a beer because Chris Wood wins loads of headers that do nothing useful, knock yourself out pal. 

I’ll go back and amend my point from Chris Wood doesn’t win any headers to Chris Wood wins all of the headers but the net result is still the same as if he didn’t. ??

You can attempt to change the narrative for what you said to now relate to the effectiveness of his headers, but the fact remains that you were of the belief he didn’t win any headers, when in fact that’s probably one of the strongest aspects of his game. Which in turn suggests you have a very poor understanding of what he actually contributes.

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Injury prone left winger? Rings a bell. No thanks. 

Not for me either but it is interesting to note that he is in the top 99 percentile for winning aerial duels, just like Wood. 1 in 4 record.

Edited by Nepharite

Just now, SteV said:

You can attempt to change the narrative for what you said to now relate to the effectiveness of his headers, but the fact remains that you were of the belief he didn’t win any headers, when in fact that’s probably one of the strongest aspects of his game. Which in turn suggests you have a very poor understanding of what he actually contributes.

Jesus Christ, you're exhausting. 

You see the bit in my last post where i said i was wrong? Maybe focus on that bit you enormous bellend!

The Wood signing still being questioned a year on after he started in 17 games last season of which we won 10, stayed up comfortably and are now sitting 3rd in the PL this season. A year to the day on from when Howe had apparently not improved us at all, was certainly taking us down and we just had to get Benitez in to sort it out.

94f.thumb.png.d77554f12b1a501112a7b8e5f10f7e19.png

Think the idea behind Wood wasn't to directly head the ball to anyone, more that we had a team good at winning second balls.

How often we won second balls might be the stat to look at.

I'm in the he was overpriced but helped the team in some way to avoid relegation camp.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

Seriously?! The worst? Ok mate ??

We’ve seen this before with lots of shit players (especially under managers like Bruce, Pardew etc.). When you have a player in your squad, there’s always the temptation to use him. If he’s not in the squad you HAVE to use a different (better) option. Hence, stronger squad. 
Wood, isn’t good enough and nowhere as good as Wilson, Maxi and Isak. Therefore, the average quality of our attackers is reduced with Wood in the mix. 

Wood - 5

Wilson - 8

Isak - 8

Maxi -7

Average - 7

Wilson - 8

Isak - 8

Maxi - 7

Average - 7.66

This is merely for illustrative purposes obviously. No exact scientific models were applied.

In no circumstance would we play better with ASM as a CF over Wood. An absolutely mental suggestion. 

8 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Jesus Christ, you're exhausting. 

You see the bit in my last post where i said i was wrong? Maybe focus on that bit you enormous bellend!

Now, now, play nice….

It’s not just that you were wrong. If you said he’d scored two goals, and it was in fact three, that would be being wrong, but it wouldn’t make much difference to the overall argument.

But the fact is you were completely wrong about a fundamental aspect of his game, which, like I keep repeating, suggests you don’t understand the aspects of his game that made him particularly useful for us last season, if a fair bit less so this season.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

Now, now, play nice….

It’s not just that you were wrong. If you said he’d scored two goals, and it was in fact three, that would be being wrong, but it wouldn’t make much difference to the overall argument.

But the fact is you were completely wrong about a fundamental aspect of his game, which, like I keep repeating, suggests you don’t understand the aspects of his game that made him particularly useful for us last season, if a fair bit less so this season.

:sleepy2:

We really need some solid transfer news :lol: 

I come in this thread now and then hoping for some positive updates. But I just have to trawl through 2-3 pages of squabbling. Just to get to some nonsense link that probably belongs in the Twitter BS thread. 

We’re absolute fiends. Getting all arsey and fighting because we can’t get our transfer fix. 

If we are letting wood out on loan we will be bringing in a replacement. That is something to be excited about. Could be Franca is a goer or another young attacker. No way we have just two strikers for the rest of the season with their fitness records.