On 10/01/2023 at 15:04, arnonel said:

Kang-In Lee continues to be linked

Really like this guy. Skillful dribbler. Leads chance creation in La Liga

Still really liking this guy

Been linked a few times. So good to watch

1 hour ago, arnonel said:

Still really liking this guy

Been linked a few times. So good to watch

Our knock-on revenue from Korean market visibility will also help FFP accounting. I'm all in!

10 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Our knock-on revenue from Korean market visibility will also help FFP accounting. I'm all in!

In that case, lets add Takefusa Kubo to the list. Could tap in to Japanese market too :cheesy:

12 minutes ago, arnonel said:

In that case, lets add Takefusa Kubo to the list. Could tap in to Japanese market too :cheesy:

Let's just get PIF to buy Real Sociedad as our feeder club if we're going to hoover up their best young imports year-on-year :naughty:

4 hours ago, simonsays said:

If we go for a more attacking left back then i think we will need to adapt the way we play and start using a dm. Currently Dan Burn creates a third centre back when trippier goes firward.  If both full backs are bombing on we will need to have a centrail.midfielder who is happy to drop between the centre backs.  Even if we dont play like this all of the time it is a good option to have.

Adrien Truffert and Manuel Ugarte would do. 

I’ve had long standing doubts about ASM’s commitment to the side. He has obvious strengths but weaknesses as well. 

My impression is that he’s the only player we have that would fetch a fair bit of money but who we may also be willing to sell. If we are looking to raise funds with an eye to ffp, he’s the glaringly obvious choice.

49 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I’ve had long standing doubts about ASM’s commitment to the side. He has obvious strengths but weaknesses as well. 

My impression is that he’s the only player we have that would fetch a fair bit of money but who we may also be willing to sell. If we are looking to raise funds with an eye to ffp, he’s the glaringly obvious choice.

He may unfortunately be the lamb to the slaughter but I think with the amount of games we’ll play next season he could be a major factor in our champs league campaign.

On a hypothetical level, wouldn't Almiron fetch a fair bit if sold?

Based on age, skillset and likely effectiveness in the future when we no longer have Trippier at RB, I think you can make a case for upgrading sooner while he would still command a healthy fee. Everyone seems dead set on us signing a new RW anyway.

4 minutes ago, Stottie said:

On a hypothetical level, wouldn't Almiron fetch a fair bit if sold?

Based on age, skillset and likely effectiveness in the future when we no longer have Trippier at RB, I think you can make a case for upgrading sooner while he would still command a healthy fee. Everyone seems dead set on us signing a new RW anyway.

After the season we have had there will be quite a few in the squad whose values have increased.

I don’t think the club will actively look to move people on but if decent offers came in for ASM, Almiron or Wilson I think the club would be open to the deal.

Be crazy to sell ASM or Almiron without very decent replacements lined up.

We only have competent 4 wingers now, and next season we'll have far more games to play. If anything we're already short there, not blessed with extra we can get rid of.

Despite not playing much this season, ASM has improved massively. He's always been a good dribbler but now he is more complete. Some numbers for how he stacks up against the rest of the league's attacking mids & wingers this season (min. 10 90s):

Assists per 90: 0.45 - second only to KdB

Shot creating actions per 90: 4.87 - 6th behind only KdB, Bruno F, Mahrez, Maddison and Odegaard

Goal creating actions per 90: 0.81 - 5th behind only KdB, Mahrez, Grealish and Foden. Level with Saka. 

Key passes per 90: 2.26 - 5th only behind KdB, Bruno F, Maddison and Mahrez

Successful take-ons per 90: 7.40 - top by miles

Progressive carries per 90: 6.58 - top

Prog carrying distance per 90: 181.08 - top and only Grealish gets anywhere near

Carries into pen area per 90: 2.97 - behind only Mitoma

I can't believe people are constantly banging on about selling him. Work on his fitness and he will win us things. 

1 minute ago, Smal said:

Despite not playing much this season, ASM has improved massively. He's always been a good dribbler but now he is more complete. Some numbers for how he stacks up against the rest of the league's attacking mids & wingers this season (min. 10 90s):

Assists per 90: 0.45 - second only to KdB

Shot creating actions per 90: 4.87 - 6th behind only KdB, Bruno F, Mahrez, Maddison and Odegaard

Goal creating actions per 90: 0.81 - 5th behind only KdB, Mahrez, Grealish and Foden. Level with Saka. 

Key passes per 90: 2.26 - 5th only behind KdB, Bruno F, Maddison and Mahrez

Successful take-ons per 90: 7.40 - top by miles

Progressive carries per 90: 6.58 - top

Prog carrying distance per 90: 181.08 - top and only Grealish gets anywhere near

Carries into pen area per 90: 2.97 - behind only Mitoma

I can't believe people are constantly banging on about selling him. Work on his fitness and he will win us things. 

THAT'S the reason people bang on about selling him.

9 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Aye. If there was no doubt about ASM's body being up to the way that Howe wants him to play, there'd be no discussion. He could go to a counter-attacking side, easier on the body and play 30 plus league games I've no doubt, it's in the system we play where we need answers and if he can't do it, it's an asset we can sell to buy a player who can do it. 

I think all of our wingers will be sold (edit. could be sold) with the right offer. Murphy most likely will not have such a good season again next year, but he is cheap. Almiron or ASM would bring some cash in.

I would want to see the back of Hendrick, Lascelles, Ritchie, Dummett, Lewis, Fraser and Dubravka though this summer.

Edited by KingArthur

Is it just me that feels that it's obvious ASM will be sold in the summer? [emoji38]

I don't think there's any issue between Howe and ASM, I just think that the chemistry isn't correct.

He's not a Howe "type".

He's got fitness issues.

He spends half his life in France (compare that to when Trippier broke his foot).

He's had a number of minor infractions around the training ground (being late, where he parked his car etc).

He openly criticised his teammates (Wood) to the press and while he was spot on, Howe won't like it.

He apparently wants a new contract, which will force the issue.

I think ASMs a joy to watch and I think Howe likes him, but given what I've written above, if we get anything like and acceptable offer for him, he's gone. I don't even see the debate.

He’s the most obvious candidate when it comes to making some money to lessen any issues around FFP. I don’t think it’s a certainty he’ll go though. Depth of the squad is going to be an increasingly important issue and if we’re getting rid of him we’ll need another body.

30 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Be crazy to sell ASM or Almiron without very decent replacements lined up.

We only have competent 4 wingers now, and next season we'll have far more games to play. If anything we're already short there, not blessed with extra we can get rid of.

If we are to compete in the champions league we need better than Murphy / Almiron / Maxi / Gordon 

All probably good enough if we are playing in the premier league v  (mid table / lower league teams) 

if we want to qualify for champions league every year and also do well in the champions league / Fa cup and caraboa cup 

we need upgrades.

You won’t see any of the top European teams snapping up Almiron or Murphy 

Maxi - Maybe (on his day) although top clubs probably won’t risk it 

Gordon - Very young and high ceiling 

32 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

If we can manage his fitness like we have done with Wilson this season we can get 30 games out of him next season at least. He managed 35/38 PL games last season.

We'd have to spend £80m to get someone of his ability to replace him. 

We will likely have champions league fixtures and everything next season. It all depends on his attitude to me, if he's on board and knows his fitness is going to be managed as he is never going to be fit enough to start every match and he accepts that we should keep him, and bring in another attacking option. If he is convinced that he should play every minute and if he's not would rather go be the main man somewhere else sell him. I would love him to stay and as those stats point out, when he's been on the pitch this season he has been really really good mostly and I trust howe to get him to string that together more than any manager previous

5 minutes ago, Smal said:

If we can manage his fitness like we have done with Wilson this season we can get 30 games out of him next season at least. He managed 35/38 PL games last season.

He's had nearly 18 months to work on his fitness with Howe and his team. And yes, on ability alone he's up there with the best we've ever had but unfortunately Eddie wants players who fit his system and ethos & I'm not sure ASM does.

We have three types of player - the ones we don't want to let go (Bruno, Botman, Isak), the ones we just want to get rid of (Fraser etc) and the ones we can do without but could get a decent fee for (ASM...?).

I haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to make an assessment but if the same people who brought us Bruno, Botman & Isak think that Diaby is the guy they want then selling Maxi to help fund that move is fine by me.

1 hour ago, JonBez comesock said:

If we are to compete in the champions league we need better than Murphy / Almiron / Maxi / Gordon 

We're very likely to finish above last year's finalist with the above players. That's over a 38 game season, not what you can pull out of the bag in two legged cup games.

1 hour ago, Smal said:

Difference is Wilson is 30-31 so more likely to agree to that sort of game time. Maxi is in his prime. If he's happy with squad player at that stage of his career here then perfect. I just think he'd play more games and he'd be more physically suited to another club. 

1 hour ago, Smal said:

We have hardly not managed his fitness this season though in fairness. It’s not like he’s rushed back or plays every game and every minute when fit.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Is it just me that feels that it's obvious ASM will be sold in the summer? [emoji38]

I don't think there's any issue between Howe and ASM, I just think that the chemistry isn't correct.

He's not a Howe "type".

He's got fitness issues.

He spends half his life in France (compare that to when Trippier broke his foot).

He's had a number of minor infractions around the training ground (being late, where he parked his car etc).

He openly criticised his teammates (Wood) to the press and while he was spot on, Howe won't like it.

He apparently wants a new contract, which will force the issue.

I think ASMs a joy to watch and I think Howe likes him, but given what I've written above, if we get anything like and acceptable offer for him, he's gone. I don't even see the debate.

Craig Hope and Mark Douglas were pretty convinced at a fanzine thing I went to that if they’d received a decent enough offer for him last summer he’d have been sold. Situations change obviously but I agree I can see him being sold.