Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Will be interesting to see what we do tomorrow, we've gone close with City and Liverpool now, and I seriously think if we had ASM Wilson Bruno, Isak all available together, we'd have had them tonight.

Our injuries and fitness will be what the difference is, if we invest in a solid bench,we could make a challenge even at this stage.

Edited by mighty__mag

I’m not sure anything happens for us tomorrow, perhaps one loan with an option but I can’t say I expect us to spend another 30/40m 

Edited by Nine

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Will be interesting to see what we do tomorrow, we've gone close with City and Liverpool now, and I seriously think if we had ASM Wilson Bruno, Isak all available together, we'd have had them tonight.

Our injuries and fitness will be what the difference is, if we invest in a solid bench,we could make a challenge even at this stage.

It’s a big ask, both financially and from a sheer workload perspective, to get both a starting 11 and bench significantly upgraded. We’ve done half of that in 2 windows. We are still a way off, squad wise, from competing for top 6 in my opinion, but that’s also OK. It’s going to take time.

18 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

But I think injuries show how far we are away from competing for the top places, probably 5+ transfer windows away from building the squad needed. We always knew it would take time but just feels so tantalisingly close already (when in reality we are nowhere near)

This is the problem - in a perfect world where everything aligned we could finish in the top 6. But the gap is still so wide. We bring on Wood and Murphy at Anfield while Chelsea are spending 100m euros on a guy they don’t even need for at least a year.

I think there will likely be some frustration tomorrow, but if you take the emotion out of it then sticking to the plan of taking steps each window is the reality of how this likely needs to be done. 

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

At the end of the day, with a fully fit squad, Murphy and Wood are unlikely to feature much at all. I think people of overstating how bad our squad depth is purely because we happen to have our 3 best players out at once.

Unfortunately though, 2 of them are pretty injury prone and obviously the ASM one is in our weakest position depth wise.

7 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

At the end of the day, with a fully fit squad, Murphy and Wood are unlikely to feature much at all. I think people of overstating how bad our squad depth is purely because we happen to have our 3 best players out at once.

The reality probably lies somewhere in the middle tbf, my biggest concern is probably fatigue and not injury given the way we now play. However we've seen it with Leeds and a thin squad how fatigue cant lead to injuries and things can implode.

Rafa imo was the master of squad management but played a much more passive style of football and would write certain games off, tonight being one of them. I think Howe had it in his mind tonight but the spirit in the team meant they went for it 

In reality we only need to survive until 12th of November this year when we can reset, relax, recuperate and go again (on the field and in the transfer window)

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Stupid that injuries have anything to do with the transfer strategy. Hope that’s not the case TBH. 

Straight bat again from Howe, I'm quite sure they know exactly what the score is for the injuries. I'll be amazed and hugely disappointed if we don't have at least one in by tomorrow. Massive opportunity lost if we don't. I'm pretty sure we will though.

Edited by et tu brute

2 minutes ago, Mansour said:

Depends. Long term injuries do and should change your approach, shorter ones not so much. I am optimistic that we are going to add at least one player.

Yeah, only the Krafth injury is long term though. As far as we know.  

5 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

It’s about long term and not short term, he hasn’t exactly propelled Leicester up the league. He’d be on considerably higher wages than either of those 2 aswell, we could get better in January.

I agree with this to an extent. I think he'd improve our midfield for sure, but for how long? I think he'd be the weakest of the midfield three.

Off the boil last season. Lost his place in the Leicester side, lost his place in the Monaco side before that. Initially I thought 20m would be a snip but considering his wages and after what I've read about him, I'm not sure. Leicester fans seem to be sick of him. There's an article in the Athletic which suggests that Leicester are happy to move on and his lack of athleticism really does give him a ceiling as a PL footballer. He won't be taking a paycut and might be very hard to shift if we need to. I wouldn't be totally opposed but the more I read and think about it, the more I can't say I'm convinced he's what we need in the longer term.

20 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Stupid that injuries have anything to do with the transfer strategy. Hope that’s not the case TBH. 

He's just going to use that as the excuse to push Wood and Murphy further down the pecking order.

I really do think we need something. All things being equal were fine. Its just the amount were stretched at present and the efforts the players are putting in is going to tell on them eventually without being able to alternate them.

A couple of those alternate were absolutely carrying too.

*See this has already been said but better above.  Now I've scrolled past Waugh

Edited by Wolfcastle