Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

All his 10m+ signings. There's only one clear success imo.

benik afobe - €14m - FLOP

Mings - €12m (massive shame for Howe) - FLOP for Bournemouth but sold for a profit

Max Gradel - €10m - FLOP

Ibe - €18m - FLOP

Ake - €23m - SUCCESS

Begovic - €12m - FLOP

Lerma - €31m true forrin - PAR?

solanke - €22m - FLOP for Howe. Long-term success.

Rico - €15m true forrin - FLOP

Mepham - €13m - NO IDEA (SUCCESS??)

Brooks - €12m - INITIAL SUCCESS

Billing - €17m - SUCCESS (I GUESS)

Danjuma - €17m true forrin - FLOP

Kelly - €15m - FLOP.

McTominay is a Howe Bournemouth type signing (and so is Gordon).

1 hour ago, Sempiternal said:

That article is weird, basically all clubs judge off those attributes. I will say this, players who can’t run (Shelvey style) aren’t going to make it these days, which I think is a shame but it’s heavily valued 

It seems to emphasis that we are prioritising physicality and athleticism. IMO that fits the Gordon & McTominary signings/links. And so does Botman & Isak but they are also technically great for their positions. JM doesn't fit that profile his physicality is a weakness.

I think we need cuteness in attack. Isak has that. Not sold on Gordon having it.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

All his 10m+ signings. There's only one clear success imo.

benik afobe - €14m - FLOP

Mings - €12m (massive shame for Howe) - FLOP for Bournemouth but sold for a profit

Max Gradel - €10m - FLOP

Ibe - €18m - FLOP

Ake - €23m - SUCCESS

Begovic - €12m - FLOP

Lerma - €31m true forrin - PAR?

solanke - €22m - FLOP for Howe. Long-term success.

Rico - €15m true forrin - FLOP

Mepham - €13m - NO IDEA (SUCCESS??)

Brooks - €12m - INITIAL SUCCESS

Billing - €17m - SUCCESS (I GUESS)

Danjuma - €17m true forrin - FLOP

Kelly - €15m - FLOP.

McTominay is a Howe Bournemouth type signing (and so is Gordon).

It seems to emphasis that we are prioritising physicality and athleticism. IMO that fits the Gordon & McTominary signings/links. And so does Botman & Isak but they are also technically great for their positions. JM doesn't fit that profile his physicality is a weakness.

I think we need cuteness in attack. Isak has that. Not sold on Gordon having it.

Yeah but then it mentions technical ability which I found strange, I mean everyone wants a physical player who has good technique. Personally I would rather prioritize technical ability but that’s just my preference 

Personally, I'm more interested in looking at his signings for Newcastle, than having a time travelling exercise with the purpose of finding a stick to bash Howe with. He also "couldn't sort out a defence", remember.

My ratings so far:

Trippier- 9/10 

Bruno- 10/10

Burn- 7/10

Targett- 6/10

Wood- 5/10

Pope- 8/10

Botman- 9/10

Isak- 8/10 potentially 10/10

Gordon- 6/10 (too soon)

No club gets them all right. We just need to keep going. If we can get 3 Botman/Isaks in the summer and 2 even younger players for the squad, we will have done ok.

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

He was attempting to sign players to go play down to Bournemouth. He's hardly going to be competing with the established PL clubs during his time at Bournemouth where finances were tight, stadium was small and you had to find the exact right Howe type of player within the aforementioned constraints. 

Yeah, this is constantly overlooked. 

Think he did well considering how small a club they were and how much above their weight they were punching.

They didn't have anywhere near the size of infrastructure behind the scenes regarding scouting and analysis.

Yeah but then it mentions technical ability which I found strange, I mean everyone wants a physical player who has good technique. Personally I would rather prioritize technical ability but that’s just my preference 

Looks like Howe is looking to build a more dynamic team with very physical and aggressive pressing off the ball, and one that attacks the opposition with power, pace and ball carrying ability. We will need to find players like this with better technical ability than we currently have through the squad at the minute, but they won't necessarily be the highly technical types that you tend to find with slower paced, ultra possession heavy sides.

Danjuma wasn't really a flop for Bournemouth. He got injured, then played very well in the Champ, and was sold for twice as much as they paid for him.

Bournemouth are a tough club to buy PL standard players for. Remember he was very keen on Schar but couldn't convince him to go there.

Like Bruno is not the most athletically gifted player, he’s not Shelvey but he’s not an elite athlete but his technical ability is so good that it supersedes that 

Yeah, the beauty with him though is his tenacity and commitment, which makes up a lot for any lesser natural physical gifts. He also just has a great knack for being in the right place and having a great awareness of what is around him both with and without the ball and so he is very effective, which is why all his statistical numbers are so high, even for metrics more associated with players that are great athletes.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, the beauty with him though is his tenacity and commitment, which makes up a lot for any lesser natural physical gifts. He also just has a great knack for being in the right place and having a great awareness of what is around him both with and without the ball and so he is very effective, which is why all his statistical numbers are so high, even for metrics more associated with players that are great athletes.

Totally, he’s not a bad athlete or anything but he’s not like a willock. His brain is fast enough that he doesn’t need to be super fast or physical, he’s already a step ahead in his mind. 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I actually saw a good Pep quote about this where he says about bernado Silva that his importance doesn’t show in the stats. Bruno does,  but it was interesting. Shows that you can’t solely rely on stats to look at a player.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYuWGTy2/

3 hours ago, STM said:

Personally, I'm more interested in looking at his signings for Newcastle, than having a time travelling exercise with the purpose of finding a stick to bash Howe with. He also "couldn't sort out a defence", remember.

My ratings so far:

Trippier- 9/10 

Bruno- 10/10

Burn- 7/10

Targett- 6/10

Wood- 5/10

Pope- 8/10

Botman- 9/10

Isak- 8/10 potentially 10/10

Gordon- 6/10 (too soon)

No club gets them all right. We just need to keep going. If we can get 3 Botman/Isaks in the summer and 2 even younger players for the squad, we will have done ok.

Why does Tripps not get a 10? Best right back for us in my 30 years of supporting. Burn rating seems

harsh also given he was cheap, kept us up, got us to a cup final and launched a top 4 tilt.