Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 hours ago, kocunar said:

I have no idea where he will go, but hopefully he isnt sold too soon, they always fail when they leave Croatia too early. 

Mate ... stop with the excuses and get over to his with a Newcastle top and scarf and convince him to join. He won't fail under Eddie.

9 hours ago, KaKa said:

Just remembered Ansu Fati is on around £220k a week. So yeah ... no chance! 

Like with Dembele, it’s the agent using our name to get interest 

7 hours ago, Kanji said:

People complain about our development of players -- we really can't just shove Willock, Longstaff and Joelinton aside for the headline names - those 3 have been pivotal to our tactics and our league position. 

You bring those players in and they compete. If the players we have keep performing at a high level they stay in. If they drop off we have other options.

Competition is a good thing 

4 hours ago, Ace said:

You bring those players in and they compete. If the players we have keep performing at a high level they stay in. If they drop off we have other options.

Competition is a good thing 

Wilson/Isak is the perfect example - I don't think there's any coincidence that Wilson has suddenly started looking more dangerous since Isak has started banging them in. If a player has the right mentality, the competition will drive them on and that's exactly what we'll need next season.

5 hours ago, Ace said:

Like with Dembele, it’s the agent using our name to get interest 

This. You can pretty discount any Barca links as them/agents trying to drum interest in their players. Realistically any Barca player coming in this Summer would break our wage structure. 

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

Wilson/Isak is the perfect example - I don't think there's any coincidence that Wilson has suddenly started looking more dangerous since Isak has started banging them in. If a player has the right mentality, the competition will drive them on and that's exactly what we'll need next season.

If a player has the right mentality they won't need competition to drive them on, see Trippier, Bruno.

England midfielder Mason Mount has one year left on his contract and is yet to sign a new deal with Chelsea. Liverpool, Manchester United and Newcastle are all interested in the 24-year-old. (Mail Sport)

Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe will have a transfer budget of up to £150m to spend this summer with Arsenal and Scotland left-back Kieran Tierney, 25, among the targets. (Sun)**

Newcastle are monitoring Roma's Brazil centre-back Roger Ibanez, 24. (Nicolo Schira)

Newcastle will consider selling French winger Allan Saint-Maximin, 26, this summer. (Football Insider)

On 24/04/2023 at 16:43, STM said:

Ignoring the bulk of the first January deals, our main signings to me have been:

Gordon 45m 80k

Bruno 40m 100k

Isak 60m 100k

Botman 35m 90k?

What do they have in common?

1. Signed from vulnerable clubs

2. Young/room to improve

3. Experienced (despite youth)

4. Similar wage bracket

If we are to predict the future, we should look to the past.

👍 nice research and good point. Thing is though our future looks like it will be in a different ‘environment’ than our past. Comes to a point of when in Rome (…if you want to stay and thrive there) you have to do as the Romans do. 

This different context adds an element of the unknown to our future contractual limits and therefore our possible targets. 

1 hour ago, madras said:

If a player has the right mentality they won't need competition to drive them on, see Trippier, Bruno.

In an ideal world yes, but competition is just another way to motivate players (eg Willock, Longstaff, Joelinton in the original post) and we should encourage it.

3 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

Yep. We've had outstanding performances this season from the likes of Almiron, Murphy, Willock and Longstaff, but that doesn't mean they are suddenly £60m players. The elite level players have that extra bit of polish and class. But they might not bring the heart and intensity that the current lads give you, so they would have to be the right characters to improve this squad.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Sounds like Eddie wants 2 or 3 top class players in. 

that's what I think will happen. he's a loyal manager, and I can't see any of our squad players being that willing to shift with the prospect of European football for the first time in their careers. they'll have grown up dreaming about lining up to the CL music.

LB and CM are nailed on, I reckon. interesting to see if they feel the need for another winger after Murphy has stepped up, and the Gordon signing.

then there's the Maxi situation. not sure we'd be actively look to sell him, but if we got tested with a bid of around 35m, there's a potential we might just cash in. so he'd need replacing.

2 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

In an ideal world yes, but competition is just another way to motivate players (eg Willock, Longstaff, Joelinton in the original post) and we should encourage it.

We should encourage it because it strengthens the squad and because playing  and training with better players improves players even if they aren't in direct ompetition for places ie Trippier isn't competition for Bruno.

Re Isak and Wilson. Wilson played well enough without competition to make the England squad, then he looked tired (even with competition) so I'd guess he's now looking better because he's properly rested, not starting when not fully fit, not expected to play 90mins under those conditions. Isak has already said he's told to burn himself out even if he's done after 70mins. So.ething which Eddie Howe seems to be a bit of a leader on to maintain that intensity, using subs to keep that intensity while others often use subs as more tactical in nature.

Edited by madras

9 minutes ago, Big River said:

that's what I think will happen. he's a loyal manager, and I can't see any of our squad players being that willing to shift with the prospect of European football for the first time in their careers. they'll have grown up dreaming about lining up to the CL music.

LB and CM are nailed on, I reckon. interesting to see if they feel the need for another winger after Murphy has stepped up, and the Gordon signing.

then there's the Maxi situation. not sure we'd be actively look to sell him, but if we got tested with a bid of around 35m, there's a potential we might just cash in. so he'd need replacing.

We still have weaknesses that need addressing. (1) A lack of creativity and ability in attack. (2) A lack of ball progression in midfield without Bruno. A left back that isn't so prone to pace defensively (3).

Thoe can look to be starters by October.

I would personally like another 2-3 young players with high ceilings and the right attitude. But also willing to be squad options. We don't have any quality in-depth so they can come in any position. 

150m on 4 players would be pretty decent, like. If this is true what people (realistically) like to see?

I think for me it’d be:

Tierney-30

Caicedo- 60

Maddison- 40

Pedro- 30

making up the 10m difference in player sales if possible.

Could do with another cb but I reckon we can make do as Burn can easily fill in.

9 minutes ago, McCormick said:

150m on 4 players would be pretty decent, like. If this is true what people (realistically) like to see?

I think for me it’d be:

Tierney-30

Caicedo- 60

Maddison- 40

Pedro- 30

making up the 10m difference in player sales if possible.

Could do with another cb but I reckon we can make do as Burn can easily fill in.

No way I’d pay 30 million for Tierney, he can’t stay fit. Brighton turned down 70 for Caicedo in Jan and he’s since signed a new deal so will be much higher than 60. He would be my number one midfield target mind.

Just now, McCormick said:

I really like Tierney- can play either side well-  but yeah his injuries are a bit of a concern. Can’t think of anybody else though.

Yeah that was my thought as well, literally can’t think of anyone else. I do think we may look for someone who can also tuck in to make it a 3 much like Burn does. Some links to that Hincapie from Leverkusen who could possibly fill that role ?