Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

It’s also not totally unheard of that a team sells a player on even before he’s joined- chance of big profit, change of manager, financial need etc. Can’t see it myself personally, but you never know. He’s a good player. 

11 hours ago, The Bonk said:

I’d love for Davies to come, would erase Edgar being the only Canadian I can remember playing for us. I’ve met him, he’s a great guy, but Davies is unreal. Pickup Jonathan David to eventually replace Wilson and I’ll die a happy man.

As a fellow Canadian, I can vouch for them not being dickheads. [emoji38]

Already too many Canadians in the squad.

13 hours ago, Kanji said:

I’m with you @Shak

Id caveat that with potentially a fast better on ball LCB / LB if we can’t get Davies. (Ie someone who can play Big Dan’s role but is simply quicker and more potent when actually getting up pitch). I’m all in on Rice who I believe has the engine of Longie but better all around play, and a dynamo RW. Going to be hard for me to accept anyone displacing Joelinton and Joe Willock at LW/LCM at this point. Doing so stunts development of two sensational talents who play our ball and are integral to how we function as a team. 

I don’t want to see Bruno out of the deep playmaker role.

Aye, I'm also very much of the opinion that Bruno should stay in the same position. I do think he'd still be quality in a more advanced role but the DM we bring in would have to be absolutely world class or we're downgrading that position in our team. Leave him where he is and bring in competition for Longstaff.

It's why Rice would be ideal, for me. He'd be a beast in that role Longstaff plays but he's also tidy enough on the ball to play the role Bruno does in the event that Bruno gets injured without the catastrophic fall off we've seen when he's been out this season.

The concept of going forward with Joelinton as primarily a LW is an interesting one to me. Generally I've been against it as I think that when teams sit back and we have to break them down he's not going to contribute much in that regard. However, if you added a genuinely top class attack-minded LB I think I could get behind it. Joelinton, Willock and Alphonso Davies down that side seems like they could do some serious damage going forward while being very solid defensively too. I think if you are going to use Joelinton on the left, you need a LB that is really good going forward. A deluxe Dan Burn type only makes sense to me if you're going with an ASM type at LW.

Might be something that could make a lot of sense if Saint-Maximin does leave as has been rumoured? Instead of replacing him with another winger, leave Joelinton and Gordon to compete for that spot and see it as a spot that pays off mostly when we're out of possession and can cover a marauding left back. 

Instead of bringing in a winger to replace ASM maybe you bring in someone like a James Maddison, who'd give us something different in terms of his skillset and could probably play in quite a few positions in our team.

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Shak my guy, you and I see eye to on this all the time :lol: 

Absolutely mad posting all of this shite considering where the club (and my interest in it) was 18 months ago :lol:

Like, as a collective group I realise that bringing in Davies, Rice, Diaby and Maddison is a bit far fetched but individually these four are all players we'll have a shot at luring here in the summer if we finish in the top four.

Being realistic, the exception is probably Davies as his wages might be an issue, he's already at Bayern and would presumably have everyone else after him if he is available.

But we've gone from an absolute non-entity of a club to on the verge of being one of the most attractive clubs in the world to the game's best young talents in less than two years and it's all a bit mental :lol:

We were linked a month or so ago but nothing too strong.

His contract is up in 2025 so I guess if they're going to cash in on him this summer is the time to do it?

I did only mention him as the absolute dream signing in terms of what I'd want from the position. I'd say Tierney or Grimaldo are far more likely.

19 minutes ago, kocunar said:

He is from my hometown, most talented 16 year old Croatian I have ever seen.

I’d love a Croat in the team. Growing up, I loved watching the likes of Zvoni Boban, Boksic, Prosinecki, Jarni, Suker etc. Fingers crossed this lad wants to come to us! 

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

I’d love a Croat in the team. Growing up, I loved watching the likes of Zvoni Boban, Boksic, Prosinecki, Jarni, Suker etc. Fingers crossed this lad wants to come to us! 

Same. Such style. Often not substance mind with Prosinecki/Suker/Boksic.

Was a bit miffed Boban wasn't at Harper's testimonial so could check him off the list of players I seen at SJP. Alluded me along with Baggio and Stojkovic.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Gonna be an interesting summer. We've not really seen a "ruthless" side of EH yet. He's incredibly loyal to his players, so long as they work hard and deliver what he asks. When it comes to the topic of replacing/upgrading the likes of Longstaff and Miggy, I wonder how he truly feels about that. Does he see them as players he needs to upgrade?

Most would agree that Miggy and Longstaff have both had excellent seasons, we undoubtedly missed them at Villa (not that we'd have won with them but we missed their running and energy, particularly Longstaff) so when it comes to "upgrading" these spots, especially with players who have improved and flourished beyond recognition under him, i'm really curious to see how this plays out.

I mentioned those two because they seem to play in the positions most often mentioned for upgrading and I get that, we do need to slowly do that. They might be just squad players next season and we'll need as much quality depth as we can get with the possibility of many more games. Fascinating summer ahead and beyond the money spent, to see the way the squad will evolve.

1 hour ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Gonna be an interesting summer. We've not really seen a "ruthless" side of EH yet. He's incredibly loyal to his players, so long as they work hard and deliver what he asks. When it comes to the topic of replacing/upgrading the likes of Longstaff and Miggy, I wonder how he truly feels about that. Does he see them as players he needs to upgrade?

Most would agree that Miggy and Longstaff have both had excellent seasons, we undoubtedly missed them at Villa (not that we'd have won with them but we missed their running and energy, particularly Longstaff) so when it comes to "upgrading" these spots, especially with players who have improved and flourished beyond recognition under him, i'm really curious to see how this plays out.

I mentioned those two because they seem to play in the positions most often mentioned for upgrading and I get that, we do need to slowly do that. They might be just squad players next season and we'll need as much quality depth as we can get with the possibility of many more games. Fascinating summer ahead and beyond the money spent, to see the way the squad will evolve.

You have to believe Eddie will give the players that got us to the CL, a chance in the CL? The Longstaff/Almiron/Murphys of the squad.

It sends a really negative energy/message through the squad to be like “thanks now lets get these other dudes to enjoy what you achieved.”

It’s why I think around 2-3 first teamers of absolute quality is the best we can/most we should expect this summer. With some younger prospects we can bring through over the course of the season.