Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

On 23/04/2023 at 05:11, KaKa said:

Lots of talk from Portugal that Sporting need to raise funds with another big sale and are very open to selling Ugarte because of it. They're saying it's because it looks likely they won't make the Champions League next season.

Looks like this is going to be a very likely signing we make quite early on. We seem to be the most strongly linked, and quite regularly too.

He has a £53m release clause. I think someone pays that price. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Downie on SSN saying he can see 6/7 signings if we make champions league. Is that the number most agree on ?

Probably, depends on outgoings too. 

LB

CB

CM x2

Winger

Young/backup striker

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Downie on SSN saying he can see 6/7 signings if we make champions league. Is that the number most agree on ?

Yeah, I imagine 6/7 will be the magic number. But likely 4 to come in as fully ready, top quality players ready to go into the starting 11. Think that will be a LB, CM, wide forward, and then an x-factor style signing who is so good they go into the 11 regardless of who's place they're taking. Likely another CM or attacker. 

Then a further 2/3 high potential younger options. Not players for the u21 squad, but players ready to come if needed, but with the idea they're going to be eased in slowly over the next 12-18 months. A right sided CB for sure.

Edited by sushimonster85

14 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not for the first XI.  I think 2/3 to maybe come "straight" in LB, CM, wide attacker.

Then another 3/4 a little younger for RCB, DM, attacker, another player with a high ceiling. 

I think most good teams can only handle adding 2-3 players at a time. Any more than that and it's an entirely different team.

We are at that point where we just need to sign quality players and players with huge potential. Outside of LB, CM and attacker for the first team we just need quality, attitude that can play Howe-ball.

I want Romeo Lavia for that DM role. For some odd reason Chelsea are heavily linked.

Wenger used to say you could make three signings maximum before you risk serious squad cohesion issues. Now I'm confident we will continue to sign well and we should aim for quality in depth through squad but i think it is a really delicate balancing act. 

It's going to depend on outgoings as well.

I'd expect a GK, LB, CB, 2 mids (one more defensive, one more attacking), and a striker who can play on the wing. Team spirit really is an important part of our current success so this summer is going to be a test. 

I think the majority of this summer's incomings are going to be young players who can play in the first XI but wouldn't necessarily expect to start straight away. At least 1 or 2 will be of the elite ilk though.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Not for the first XI.  I think 2/3 to maybe come "straight" in LB, CM, wide attacker.

Then another 3/4 a little younger for RCB, DM, attacker, another player with a high ceiling. 

I think most good teams can only handle adding 2-3 players at a time. Any more than that and it's an entirely different team.

We are at that point where we just need to sign quality players and players with huge potential. Outside of LB, CM and attacker for the first team we just need quality, attitude that can play Howe-ball.

I want Romeo Lavia for that DM role. For some odd reason Chelsea are heavily linked.

Rumour was Chelsea tried to sign Lavia for 40m last August, a month after Soton paid 10, that's how they do things :) Guess that's why the link is still there. 

Pep didn't want him to leave and City have a clause to take him back if they want, can see them getting rid of Phillips and taking him back there. 

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Barca allegedly talking to Thuram (Monchengladbach).

In fairness they have a real shortage of forwards don’t they …. 

i honestly don’t get their strategy 

btw we don’t need Thuram - I would prefer J Pedro

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Could do with someone that can genuinely challenge Tripps.

Think that will be a job for next Summer rather than a priority for this one. Though I do think Ashby will be the fulltime RB understudy next season. 

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Think that will be a job for next Summer rather than a priority for this one. Though I do think Ashby will be the fulltime RB understudy next season. 

He's almost 33. He's not going to be able to play 50 games next season.

We can't afford a massive drop off in key positions like we have at the moment for Pope, CB, Bruno & Trips.

Obviously Ashby needs his shot but the jury is out. Krafth was top class pre-injury too.

Fingers-crossed it stays this way. But we've been incredibly fortunate that only Isak has missed a considerable portion of the season from our key players. Can't guarantee that every year.

I feel like Trippier still has a couple years left in the tank at the top level. Obviously (like most players these days) he keeps himself in top shape, and (more crucially) he didn't actually break through and start playing senior football in his teens, which tends to affect how late into their 30's a lot players can play. First time he played 30+ games of senior football was the 10/11 season with Barnsley when he was already 20/21.

Just think with all the areas of the squad that could use investment this Summer they won't see RB as crucial given we have Trippier, Ashby and Krafth.

I would like 2-3 first teamers, and then a few young players, with a high ceiling, who are ok to be blooded over an extended period. Super talents who are ok to be backups in the short term, play all the cups, and look to challenge after 9-12 months

Ignoring the bulk of the first January deals, our main signings to me have been:

Gordon 45m 80k

Bruno 40m 100k

Isak 60m 100k

Botman 35m 90k?

What do they have in common?

1. Signed from vulnerable clubs

2. Young/room to improve

3. Experienced (despite youth)

4. Similar wage bracket

If we are to predict the future, we should look to the past.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Ignoring the bulk of the first January deals, our main signings to me have been:

Gordon 45m 80k

Bruno 40m 100k

Isak 60m 100k

Botman 35m 90k?

What do they have in common?

1. Signed from vulnerable clubs

2. Young/room to improve

3. Experienced (despite youth)

4. Similar wage bracket

If we are to predict the future, we should look to the past.

Agree, however if we get CL football that's totally different position to be in comapred to January 2022 or even last sunmer. I don't think the approach will change, but our pull will be greater for sure.

We may find fees go down as players actually "push" for a move if we qualify for the champions league as we are seen as a good move but wages go up as we are a champions league team. Think I heard there are ratio rules on wages to income so imperative we get some good sponsors through the door too. Nearly as important as the recruitment from a long term success point of view.