Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Just now, NWMag said:

I still think there is a decent player in Lewis tbh, reckon he could exceed expectations like Krafth did if given a run of games. 

I think we’ll sign another left back next summer and with Targett and Burn already there I think he’ll be moved on 

22 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Brilliant and outstanding are not tags I'd stick on Emil Kraft like. He's 6 or 7 out of 10 at best.

Your just proving my point. your basing your opinion on someone who hasn't played all season.

Either that or you literally didn't watch us (and Krafth) play the 2nd half of last season.

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Manquillo played against Crystal Palace in the cup this year as soon as he was back from an injury.

aye, and he was absolutely dreadful. we need to start showing a bit of ambition man.

Manquillo and Lewis ffs :lol: get them both in the bin!

Was just thinking we could use a young, upcoming player who can play LB and RB. Without being pinned to the cross on here... A Davide Santon type player who can get forward and add some threat, allowing us to create the overload on either side.

1 minute ago, NWMag said:

I still think there is a decent player in Lewis tbh, reckon he could exceed expectations like Krafth did if given a run of games. 

On the plus side he’s quite athletic with a bit of decent technique so something to work with and coach positional sense and aggression.

On the negative side he doesn’t seem to sense danger and a number of times in the 6 yard box he’s flat footed and slow to react to rebounds and ricochets etc. Is that coachable is the big question over him along with staying fit.

3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think we’ll sign another left back next summer and with Targett and Burn already there I think he’ll be moved on 

Yep, think a top quality LB will be high on the priority list in the Summer. I love BDB, but he just doesn't offer the same as Trippier, and Howe clearly doesn't fancy Targett. 

4 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

Was just thinking we could use a young, upcoming player who can play LB and RB. Without being pinned to the cross on here... A Davide Santon type player who can get forward and add some threat, allowing us to create the overload on either side.

Surely the Spanish lad incoming is the answer.

For the record I thought Santon was poor for us both forwards and especially defensively.

I think some are seriously underestimating the job Dan Burn has been doing. It's a massive assumption that we could just play another flying full back at left back without seriously hurting the balance of our team.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

I think some are seriously underestimating the job Dan Burn has been doing. It's a massive assumption that we could just play another flying full back at left back without seriously hurting the balance of our team.

I think the coaching will be key here. Even if we sign a LB I don’t expect them to be given total free reign to go nuts and attack. Imagine it’ll be someone more in the Trippier mould. 

Rock hard but with a tasty left foot would be the profile. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, STM said:

I think some are seriously overestimating the job he has been doing too :lol:

6 minutes ago, Big River said:

Best defence in the league.

I'm saying be careful that we don't break something, while fixing something.

I really like having Burn at left back. The amount of times Arsenal tried to play the ball over the top of him to Saka last night but failed because Burn is so tall was great.

Wish he was more of a threat at set plays like :lol:. But he is good at them defensively... Height can be really important in the PL.

Lewis - difficult to make serious judgment bearing in mind injuries and Bruce-ing. I'm not sure he'll get the game time to ever enable us to make considered judgment, but he's been underwhelming aside from a few matches under Howe when he first became manager. 

Manquillo - he's fine, no more or less. Can very much be improved upon, but it's lazy to say he's shit in my view, he's had some good matches in his time at NUFC. 

I think a lot of people in today's frustratingly binary age can only conclude "brilliant" or "shit". You have to have less good players in a squad - fundamentally, persuading a professional football player that he's not going to be playing much professional football except in case of injury to somebody else is a hard sell. If Fresneda represents an upgrade on Manquillo, then yes, it's a no brainer to proceed. Lewis gets more time from me because we don't yet need him - Burn is playing well, Targett is a very good option. I suspect Targett will be sold this summer and the idea is to see this year if Lewis can be one of 2 options there. If he can't be, I imagine they'd extend Targett or sign somebody else. 

Edited by Theregulars

5 minutes ago, Big River said:

Defensive record not the best in the league?  and the clubs history ?

11 minutes ago, buzz said:

Lewis has pretty much always looked dreadful

I actually agree especially under Bruce. My thinking is based on Liverpool we’re looking likely to sign him. He’s young and athletic. He’s an international. Someone at the club seen something to spend money at the time we didn’t have and finally under EH he displaced Kraft initially and had two decent games I recall against Norwich and Burnley before we got a couple of hidings off Leicester Man City and lesser degree Liverpool which probably made EH’s mind to batten down the hatches for a bit and revert to Kraft then Trippier signed.

Its up to Lewis now with these cup runs in early rounds to get game time. EH has mentioned a few times he’s snapping at the heals of the other LB’s which has turned out to be a rather unfortunate turn of phrase now that we know what’s wrong with Targett ? 

8 minutes ago, STM said:

Best defence in the league.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Defensive record not the best in the league?  and the clubs history ?

the whole team gets the credit for our defensive record. Howe, Pope, and even Burn last night literally said that.

it's a bit simplistic to think it's purely down to our LB, but fair enough crack on.

I think the point is the system, no? We like to play a system which involves 3 at the back in possession with 4 at the back out of possession. Burn has a very unique skillset that he's a good centre back and a good left back. He is not an outstanding out-and-out left back, but he's a good one and is improving that side of his game under Howe in my view. It also helps having 3 tall centre halves for set pieces - if you watch closely we win a lot of knock-downs. Burn is ideal for what we're currently doing. 

33 minutes ago, Comegetasample said:

Your just proving my point. your basing your opinion on someone who hasn't played all season.

Either that or you literally didn't watch us (and Krafth) play the 2nd half of last season.

So you think Kraft is one of the best full backs in the world? All I'm saying is that he isn't a brilliant or outstanding footballer. Same as Almiron - Just because he's been player of the month in the Premier League it doesn't actually make him the best player in the league forever, you do understand that, right?

11 minutes ago, Big River said:

the whole team gets the credit for our defensive record. Howe, Pope, and even Burn last night literally said that.

it's a bit simplistic to think it's purely down to our LB, but fair enough crack on.

No more simplistic than saying he’s been seriously overestimated on here. Like @Theregularssays he shouldn’t be seen as simply just a LB as he switches between that and LCB constantly and one of the reasons in Botman looking so good and in turn Schär also he has almost become a sweeper moping up behind and avoiding the less physical defending to a degree.

37 minutes ago, STM said:

I think this is true, he's been mostly superb defensively, been a big part of our rock solid defence. But at the same time, you do have to look at his limitations going forwards, and his lack of pace was pretty exposed last night. Not easy upgrading on a player performing well, but if we want to get to the top level, then we have to find better everywhere, not just left back.