Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The sudden need for a CM shouldn’t hide the fact that we haven’t replaced Wood. We’re inviting trouble in key areas. 

I think something will happen around Franca 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Howe confirmed today if the Shelvey moved hadn't of happened, we wouldn't have done any more business. If none of their preferred targets are available, I wonder how a loan with an obligation for Berge fits into their thinking. 

Thought the same, as he also said this window was only ever going to be about long-term targets.

Gordon and Ashby prove that, and it leads to thinking we’ll be prioritising other names we’ve been consistently linked with.

19 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

The sudden need for a CM shouldn’t hide the fact that we haven’t replaced Wood. We’re inviting trouble in key areas. 

Not really inviting trouble. Maybe inviting finishing in the top 6-7 rather than the top four. A year ago that would have seemed like an opium fiend’s pipe dream. Bit of perspective here man. 

6 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

My feeling is that nearly every fan these days appears to be obsessed with numbered positions, ironic considering there are no actual numbers anymore. Anyway, I dont know whether this is down to football manager or what, but I believe what we and Bruno need is at least one more midfielder who can play in a way that enhances and compliments his abilities i.e. someone who can find space, great first touch, can play one twos, can spot a pass, beat a man, can tackle, has great stamina and will to win. This will upgrade our current options, who have some of these attributes but not all. 
Im not sure Bruno entirely trusts his current midfield teammates to play in the way he prefers. I believe that if we signed someone like Ive described then we would create even more chances, get the most out of Isak, and become an elite team.

Maddison is the player I have in mind. Bruno amd Maddison would compliment players like Joelinton and Willock, and Gordon who van get us up the pitch and do the covering/transition legwork.

Anyway, just my opinion. Fluidity of positions and roles.

image.jpeg.30c22376180453855549d06444d72b1a.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Not really inviting trouble. Maybe inviting finishing in the top 6-7 rather than the top four. A year ago that would have seemed like an opium fiend’s pipe dream. Bit of perspective here man. 

That's a massive difference commercially, which is the ultimate prize in the long run.

Young striker on loan makes a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Thought the same, as he also said this window was only ever going to be about long-term targets.

Gordon and Ashby prove that, and it leads to thinking we’ll be prioritising other names we’ve been consistently linked with.

Aye. I know we've signed players before who were intended as a stop gap in Burn, Targett and Wood, but we aren't exactly desperate and £20+ million is a decent chunk of change for a temporary fix. I fully expect someone along the lines of Ugarte, Thuram or Kone to be targeted in the summer.

Unless of course the thinking is "fuck it, it's yet another option for us going forward". We do need more players in that area, particularly with European qualification looking a decent possibility. 

Think we also need to take into account who/how many are out of contract over the next 2 summers, they all cant be replaced in one window and we are likely to get some form of europe meaning more games in general. I am certainly guilty of still being stuck in the Ashley era of mindset wow 15/20/25 million that's a lot of money and while it is it was probably a full transfer window budget in years gone bye. Sustained and regular spending is required to not only keep up but also to evolve and improve the poorer/older/less useful players. 

If a player fits a long term strategy or slot and can be acquired I don't think which window or when should really come into it. 

I was watching the press conference and here is Howe's full quote on Gordon's best position: "On either wing, I see being his primary position but he can play as a number 10 or number 9. He's done that this season for Everton. So he gives us that flexibility with Chris's absence that we now feel we have strength in numbers in the forward positions."

He clearly sees him as a Wood replacement, not like-for-like, but in terms of his ability to play in that forward position.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Might be a total brain fart, but don’t most of the top sides only have two out-and-out strikers in their squad?

Yeah I’d say so, and they have a number of players who can play striker is required in an emergency. In an ideal

world we’d have replaced Wood but I’m more than comfortable with Joelinton, ASM and Gordon as alternatives for the games where both Wilson and Isak are

out.