Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

15 hours ago, Village Idiot said:

This past weekend Barça held a referendum for refurbishing Camp Nou and the adjacent area. It passed, and work will begin next season and last two years.

I voted yes, because the stadium is really old and it shows, but the €1500 million pricetag gives me pause, given our current situation.

That Sunderland chairman built the 48000 seater Stadium of Light for £20 million yer knaa.

16 hours ago, Village Idiot said:

This past weekend Barça held a referendum for refurbishing Camp Nou and the adjacent area. It passed, and work will begin next season and last two years.

I voted yes, because the stadium is really old and it shows, but the €1500 million pricetag gives me pause, given our current situation.

Where are you getting the funds from?

Edited by nufcjb

On 22/12/2021 at 11:57, Raconteur said:

I’m no legal boffin, but how the hell do they get a jury together for that trial?

Surely the same ways jury's are normally selected? He won't get special treatment just because he's a footballer.

26 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Surely the same ways jury's are normally selected? He won't get special treatment just because he's a footballer.

Except when juries are selected, they have to convince the prosecutor and defence that they can be unbiased - one of the first questions during jury selection is “Have you read about this story in the papers?” ie do you already know some of the “facts” in the case - facts tainted by media reporting.

Maybe its unique to Australian law, but I thought we took most of our principles from British Justice (TM)

On 24/12/2021 at 11:44, xLiaaamx said:

See Rangnick is already complaining about the league Cup being a thing after 5 minutes. Can see where Klopp got it from indeed. 

He's right though. Doesn't make sense having two domestic cups.

On 24/12/2021 at 08:52, Raconteur said:

Except when juries are selected, they have to convince the prosecutor and defence that they can be unbiased - one of the first questions during jury selection is “Have you read about this story in the papers?” ie do you already know some of the “facts” in the case - facts tainted by media reporting.

Maybe its unique to Australian law, but I thought we took most of our principles from British Justice (TM)

Still not sure what you mean. There's no details in that piece that would prejudice a trial. I imagine the percentage of the population of even know who Benjamin Mendy is, never mind the details of the case, is pretty small.

16 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

There's arguments that it's good for lower league sides but as an actual sporting competition the League Cup is pretty pointless.

I think getting rid of the LC would greatly increase the sense of treading water that exists amongst the mid-table clubs. One less thing you can potentially achieve (the list is already very small) makes things better for who exactly? Only a tiny number of big clubs who have other competitions to focus on.

Easy to say "Scrap that other competition, we don't care about it" when you're in the CL knockouts.

On 24/12/2021 at 08:52, Raconteur said:

When I was on Jury duty. 75% of our jury lived in the same area as the guy who was on trial. didn't matter to the judge. People in the deliberation room were constantly referencing the fact that they lived in the area, in a way that revealed they were concerned about the outcome. Interestingly, I don't think it impaired their judgement, because there was equal concern about both outcomes.

3 hours ago, Wullie said:

I think getting rid of the LC would greatly increase the sense of treading water that exists amongst the mid-table clubs. One less thing you can potentially achieve (the list is already very small) makes things better for who exactly? Only a tiny number of big clubs who have other competitions to focus on.

Easy to say "Scrap that other competition, we don't care about it" when you're in the CL knockouts.

Isn't the league cup, currently, what the PL would become if the super league were to go ahead? It would still be the PL but each season [barring a miracle] it would be won by a club representing a superior competition.

Since the Bradford and Swansea final the League Cup semi-finals have featured:

3 of the ESL chums

2 of the ESL chums

And every winner has been an ESL chum. Man City have won it loads of times in a row.

It's 'pointless' because it's boring as fuck and basically unwinnable unless you're one of the aforementioned. 

7 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

3 of the ESL chums

2 of the ESL chums

And every winner has been an ESL chum. Man City have won it loads of times in a row.

It's 'pointless' because it's boring as fuck and basically unwinnable unless you're one of the aforementioned. 

reserve squads.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

3 of the ESL chums

2 of the ESL chums

Is that not more of a reflection of how teams treat it though? Most seem to just field massively weakened sides and act likes it's an inconvenience. 

6 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

There's arguments that it's good for lower league sides but as an actual sporting competition the League Cup is pretty pointless.

Been as good as the FA cup last few seasons.

Just now, Jaqen said:

Is that not more of a reflection of how teams treat it though? Most seem to just field massively weakened sides and act likes it's an inconvenience. 

Yeah absolutely. Everyone plays weakened teams, but Man City's weak team is ten times better than Villa's/Wolves'/ours/whoever so the level of competition is arguably even more dispirate than the Premier League itself. If the top teams were playing weaker sides in a world where their reserve teams weren't PL top 4 level themselves, we'd probably see a bit more variety. 

Whole competition is a waste of time these days. I would happily see anyone who isn't interested just fuck it off rather than treat it like a chore until they inevitably win it/nearly win it.

Mind you there's probably a fair argument that it's the congested nature of the rest of the calendar that's the primary issue. 

I’m getting the word…………

https://theathletic.com/3030071/2021/12/26/jack-rodwell-interview-everton-sunderland-football-netflix-sydney/?source=user_shared_article

Maybe Australia and Rodwell were meant to be.

It was in the country 11 years ago, when he came on pre-season tour with Everton, that he met the woman who would become his wife and the mother of his children. An eventful fortnight.

“We met at a promotional event for the club at a venue not far from where Western Sydney Wanderers train,” he says. “Her dad was running it and she was there with her friends.

“I came home and she was still at high school but we kept in touch. She came over the following March and then again in that British summer after the season. We went on holidays and that was it — we had to make the decision whether to move in or not. Here we are 11 years later.”