João Pedro

1 hour ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I don't know why anyone thinks Romano knows anything to be honest. He's a tap in merchant... has he ever been first with news? Ever? He watches all the journalists, sees what the consensus is, and then posts. That's all.

I’m not saying that a lot of his news aren’t broken that way. However, it’s a known fact that he does have some sources for some transfers at the very least.

2 hours ago, jonny1403 said:

I find these sort of arguments funny. Let's face it, have you ever seen Ekitike play in a full game outside of Youtube highlights? Have you ever seen Joao Pedro play outside of Newcastle v Watford? I highly doubt 99% of our fans have.

Maybe there's more to it then what fans on the internet think from Youtube clips?

We have access to a lot of free data nowadays, obviously not as much as scouting teams, and we're obviously not anywhere near as good at reading it as they are, but combined with Youtube and reports from data analysts you can often get decent info on players without having to sit and watch hours of footage.

There were a few decent things written about Ekitike before he moved to PSG, his stats to a layman were great, and looking at his goals on Youtube it's clear he has a lot of composure in the box for his age. His goal record in France was also great for any age. 

There's nowhere near as much positive info out there for Joao Pedro, there's snippets but not enough that a bit of Dennis Wise scouting and FBRef hunting can tell us much. 

Edit: l'm really excited about Joao Pedro like, but I don't think anyone would claim he's as promising as Ekitike.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I get the feeling we won't be using him as a striker. There seems to be a lot going for him, the only thing not going for him is scoring goals (and getting assists). At such a young age, I doubt the pressure of playing in front of 52,000 fans will be conducive to him suddenly banging them in.

This is all based on not noticing him previously though so I may be wrong. Not sure what to expect but we do need to succeed with a signing sooner rather than later so I hope we get the deal done.

I find these sort of arguments funny. Let's face it, have you ever seen Ekitike play in a full game outside of Youtube highlights? Have you ever seen Joao Pedro play outside of Newcastle v Watford? I highly doubt 99% of our fans have.

Maybe there's more to it then what fans on the internet think from Youtube clips?

No but PSG and Dortmund did which is always a very good sign. I kinda wish we had such competition for this lad, but then again we'd be unlikely to get him if that was the case.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

No but PSG and Dortmund did which is always a very good sign. I kinda wish we had such competition for this lad, but then again we'd be unlikely to get him if that was the case.

This is fair.

Arsenal were heavily linked with Bruno for example. Milan obviously in for Botman. Paqueta has City links and already had a move to a massive club.

Same is true in reverse. Someone like Aouar went from Liverpool and Arsenal links to Forest and Palace and you think - what's happened to the lad? Never seen him play one way or the other.

Rando I remember hearign Seri compared to Xavi. A year later he rocked up to Fulham, scored a wonder goal than stunk the place out. 

Of course there is, but considering Howe and our scouts looked beyond YouTube clips and decided on Ekitike, Dortmund and PSG did want him, and his stats are better than João Pedro's, I'm not sure what difference it makes.

37 minutes ago, Sean said:

At such a young age, I doubt the pressure of playing in front of 52,000 fans will be conducive to him suddenly banging them in.

He's played and scored against us 7 months ago :lol: He has 2 seasons of PL experience already. I wouldn't worry about his age and whether he can take the pressure at all tbh.

10 minutes ago, Conjo said:

He's played and scored against us 7 months ago :lol: He has 2 seasons of PL experience already. I wouldn't worry about his age and whether he can take the pressure at all tbh.

And he has a record of scoring lots of goals yeah?

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

This is fair.

Arsenal were heavily linked with Bruno for example. Milan obviously in for Botman. Paqueta has City links and already had a move to a massive club.

Same is true in reverse. Someone like Aouar went from Liverpool and Arsenal links to Forest and Palace and you think - what's happened to the lad? Never seen him play one way or the other.

Rando I remember hearign Seri compared to Xavi. A year later he rocked up to Fulham, scored a wonder goal than stunk the place out. 

And now tearing up for Hull [emoji38]

These guys at the Watford forum. :laugh:

"Supertommymooney said: ↑

I think we should pay for JP to have a day out in Newcastle.

If he thinks Watford is cold then he'll soon bin off this move.

Poor sod has just started to learn English too"

23 minutes ago, Conjo said:

No, but that wasn't really what I was commenting on either.

Well that was what my post was about. Him scoring one at St James, for the opposition, is kinda irrelevant. 

55 minutes ago, Sean said:

Well that was what my post was about. Him scoring one at St James, for the opposition, is kinda irrelevant. 

Maybe I misunderstood you. Thought you were implying there's a risk that he can't handle the pressure of playing at St. James' Park, which he clearly can.