Newcastle United 3-3 Manchester City (21/08/2022)

Yorkie

I know it was only a draw, but it still hasn’t really sunk in how good that was. not just as a result but the game as a whole, it felt like a bit of a throwback. just two teams trying to outscore each other, in very different ways. I absolutely loved it, and probably still would have loved it if they nicked one at the end to make it 3-4. that’s what football is all about.

I usually avoid watching Man City because I find them a bit boring, but Haaland makes them a different team. what a beast he is. he’s got everything.

Maxi was brilliant, I wish he could do that every week because he gets the whole stadium off their seat when he’s in the mood. get him to the metro centre before every match!

We’re Newcastle and we’re going to eventually win the league.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Big River said:

I know it was only a draw, but it still hasn’t really sunk in how good that was. not just as a result but the game as a whole, it felt like a bit of a throwback. just two teams trying to outscore each other, in very different ways. I absolutely loved it, and probably still would have loved it if they nicked one at the end to make it 3-4. that’s what football is all about.

I usually avoid watching Man City because I find them a bit boring, but Haaland makes them a different team. what a beast he is. he’s got everything.

Maxi was brilliant, I wish he could do that every week because he gets the whole stadium off their seat when he’s in the mood. get him to the metro centre before every match!

We’re Newcastle and we’re going to eventually win the league.

It was a bit of a throwback kind of game, two teams going all out attack and Haaland, he looked lazy and uninterested at times and then bang, pace, power and a goal. He’s deadly and you kind of think he’s just saving himself for the right time to attack/go/kill. Man City are scary, they can now play several ways with him in their team. They cut us open like they would usually do, and then they went direct. He suits them perfectly. He still has flaws in his game mind, but what a player. 

Overall, extremely encouraging, because for half an hour we actually looked the better side. And when you consider that probably none of our players would have made it into their eleven, that's quite amazing.

ASM's decision-making has improved a lot and he was very effective.

Trippier was a bit lucky - that challenge was 50-50 between a yellow and a red, I thought. Normally that sort of professional foul means a yellow, but it involved a jump and he caught the opponent by his knee.

The aerial challenge on Schar would have been a free kick anywhere outside the penalty area. It was one of those.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I thought Willock pulled out of a couple of challenges. 

And Eddie, please stay here for ever.

Lots to savour about that game but it typifies every paradox we, NUFC, supporters have to now navigate. 

Plucky wannabees battling manfully against the mighty City. Best team in the world (sic) etc etc or the new kids on the block going toe to tie? 

Most people I know just didn't want to get battered. To, at least, show a progression from last year's 9-0 aggregate. Then we concede. 

Half an hour later were winning 3-1 and seemingly in control. 

Of course it couldn't last, after all they're Man City,  the great Man City. These teams always seem to have another gear or 5 of them coming off the bench. Whatever the errors in each concession one couldn't help thinking if it wasn't that time they'd just come again.  It's almost inevitable. 

It's a measure, tho, of how quickly we've improved that a 3-3 home draw against such vaulted opposition comes with a slight feeling of disappointment.  What could've been. 

Then thinking if we'd won would everyone have got carried away 🤔

Once again Howe gets these lads playing at an improved level. It can only get better as well. 

One thing I noted, iirc, the commentator saying something about Pep/Man City "when faced with adversity" blah blah. 

Aye, mate, they just go and spend £100m on a player,  poor cunts. 

Guest HTT II

My mate who has been to pretty much every home and away game for 30 + years easily, said it was like being at a KK game yesterday, proper end to end stuff, he said if we had won 5-1 it wouldn’t have been ridiculous, nor if it ended 5-5 or they beat us 7-3. 

18 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

One thing I noted, iirc, the commentator saying something about Pep/Man City "when faced with adversity" blah blah. 

Aye, mate, they just go and spend £100m on a player,  poor cunts. 

Yeah, this is irritating. We have Pep's tactical genius and fighting spirit, but just in case, we'll spend a billion pounds on the squad.

Was thinking that yesterday, apart from Foden have they brought anyone through their academy? Feel like I'm missing someone obvious

Chelsea get criticised for farming players out on loan but at least they've got players making it to their first team.

Just seen miggys celebration for the first goal again. A fan looks like he's gonna go over the boards and trippier kinda ushers him back to make sure he doesn't cos he'd probably get fucked

What a bloke😎

8 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Was thinking that yesterday, apart from Foden have they brought anyone through their academy? Feel like I'm missing someone obvious

Chelsea get criticised for farming players out on loan but at least they've got players making it to their first team.

Don’t think so. Trippier, Kasper Schmeichel, Sturridge, Sancho, Mee, Iheanacho, etc have all had to leave. 

currently, Claudio Gomes and the likes of Liam Delap, Harwood-Bellis, Cole Palmer and James McAtee might make it, and have made sporadic appearances (I think?), but are getting loaned out/sold rather than integrated into the first team.

Odd feeling that the 3-1 was needed to secure the point because of all teams, city seem the best at scoring so fast with so little effort at times. 

needing to improve the bench is massively needed, and over time we’ll be able to change games when Wilson comes off with another attacker who can do something. 

Guest HTT II

When we went 3-1 up I said to my bro who come to mine for a drink to watch the match, I’d take a point ha ha. When Trippier scored I thought it was the wrong angle for him, but my bro said he will score trust me and he did. A rare match day between us after covid shit. 

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Leading up to their second goal, there was twice when Schar put the ball out for a corner with Pope just behind him ready to collect. That communication will improve the more they play. 

saw and thought that too. I don’t really get annoyed at goal sequences as much as the stuff that happens before that could be avoidable. 

8 minutes ago, HTT II said:

When we went 3-1 up I said to my bro who come to mine for a drink to watch the match, I’d take a point ha ha. When Trippier scored I thought it was the wrong angle for him, but my bro said he will score trust me and he did. A rare match day between us after covid shit. 

Stood up in front of my tv and said to wife “he’s going to score this” 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Kanji said:

saw and thought that too. I don’t really get annoyed at goal sequences as much as the stuff that happens before that could be avoidable. 

Stood up in front of my tv and said to wife “he’s going to score this” 

My wife was in her room, pissing and moaning how we were calling the ref all kinds, their team and shouting and screaming, I’m just loving being involved so much in our games, even if it’s from the sofa! We have a social club next to where we live, all mad Toon fans, it was a nice day yesterday, I had the door open to the balcony, I could here them scream and shout and cheer and all our neighbours too. And them me and my bro! 

class game and atmosphere yesterday

someone said it above but it felt keegan/robson-esque and as much as i really dont want to keep bringing those eras up it is so nice to be able to go to matches home and away with some belief in the football and also to enjoy the games rather then just the before and after drinks with mates

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

My wife was in her room, pissing and moaning how we were calling the ref all kinds, their team and shouting and screaming, I’m just loving being involved so much in our games, even if it’s from the sofa! We have a social club next to where we live, all mad Toon fans, it was a nice day yesterday, I had the door open to the balcony, I could here them scream and shout and cheer and all our neighbours too. And them me and my bro! 

Look at me, I've got a balcony........Pathetic!