Alexander Isak

Disco

I believe he's a striker who tends to drop deep to pick up the ball, release and dart into the box - also likes to drift wide too. He's probably better at playing as a wide forward in our system for now and spelling Wilson in the central role. Good problem to have. 

6 hours ago, Nine said:

We paid that before Miggy got Howe’d. There were noises about including both Wilson and Isak in a starting 11 iirc? I’d assumed he was signed to start on the right when Wilson’s fit.

Also with Wilson’s fitness record back up is the wrong word, he’d be expected to play as many games as Wilson does at ST.

We all love Miggy after he got Howe’d, imagine how a Howe’d Isak would look like. And I don’t think we bought Isak to play as a RW, so I don’t see a competition between him and Miggy/future RW transfers

6 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Is there any evidence to this 'He can play on the side of a 3'? Sure when I looked up his stats when he signed he'd played like 50-60 centrally and maybe 1 or 2 on a side. Only ever seen him at euros at CF.

Look where Miggys been playing of late. He's hardly been a winger.

Just now, madras said:

Look where Miggys been playing of late. He's hardly been a winger.

Oh aye, agree, and spot on example. Eddie's clever though cos he's put Miggy there to utilise specific strengths: Chasing down and cutting in centrally. Could do something similar with Isak maybe, dont know him as a player well enough to say. What I have seen though he's shit hot centrally.

6 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Oh aye, agree, and spot on example. Eddie's clever though cos he's put Miggy there to utilise specific strengths: Chasing down and cutting in centrally. Could do something similar with Isak maybe, dont know him as a player well enough to say. What I have seen though he's shit hot centrally.

Yea, more an inverted winger cutting left and it sure has been effective.

5 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

He could possibly do the Almiron role if he drops out of form.

Or needs resting or if he brings something different and creates a new role. With better players we don't have to replicate like for like and play the same way game by game. Look at how we are varying game to game now.

Edited by madras

It’s such a weird position to be in, dropping someone from this team ffs. :lol:

I think in the end he’ll have plenty of time up front on his own but if he’s on the pitch with Wilson it’ll be just behind him and one of the three midfielders will have to get dropped. :( 

I thought he looked wicked in the glimpse we got, especially for someone just off the plane. The goals against Liverpool were sensational and its only the other crappy narratives about that match that stopped him getting the credit he deserved. The one-on-one he missed against Bournemouth? Palace? was down entirely to him solo pressing. He's got the same languid look about him as Chris Waddle, he doesn't look like he's giving 100% but it is very deceptive. Callum Wilson is extremely sharp but needs goals created for him. Isak looks more capable of doing it on his own.

Prem players listed by expected goals per 90, 200 mins minimum to qualify. The offside goal against Liverpool will not count in his xG.

1193809667_xg90chart.thumb.jpg.33f3068395abee6c86c8f29d1e1d5483.jpg

If you look at non-penalty xG, Isak is still eighth, above Salah, Mitro, Harry Kane etc. Wilson is fifth. Top is Darwin Nunez, I fully understand folks hating on Liverpool, but that lad is a player.

11 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Is there any evidence to this 'He can play on the side of a 3'? Sure when I looked up his stats when he signed he'd played like 50-60 centrally and maybe 1 or 2 on a side. Only ever seen him at euros at CF.

Im sure I heard a Spanish football reporter who’d been interviewed saying he’s flexible and can play across the front 3. Either way he’s in good hands with Howe coaching wise and we’ll get the best out of him. He gives us so many options. Bring Wilson off at 70 and move him inside if he starts right or left or bring him on off the bench. He’ll be great away from home with his lace too. The thing is if Miggy keeps playing the way he is and Isak starts smashing it ASM is going to have to work hard to get back into this side which is what you want.

It’s ridiculous but he will be like a new signing ?

Edited by ExiledGeordie

My still snoozing dreamy crystal ball says Eddie refuses to change a winning team in the league. Alex can’t get a start and compensates for this by playing the best football of his career, scoring in every round of the league cup, topped off with a brace to win us the final. I’d be happy keeping £60+ million on the bench in that scenario! 

A front three doesn't necessarily mean two wingers and a striker, and we see that all the time in Howe's system. In a fluid front two/three I can see Isak as a left forward playing the channels, dropping back, tucking in, all without encroaching on Wilson's position. Think of Henry, he was a centre forward, often playing with a striking partner, but on a heat map he'd classified more as a left inside forward. Drifting wide, cutting in and curling with his right. How many times did we not see that?

I imagine Isak could have a similar role "on the left" and it probably even being his best position, playing to his strengths.

Anyway, what a strange feeling to actually have faith in the manager to work it all out :lol:

26 minutes ago, Unlucky Luque said:

A front three doesn't necessarily mean two wingers and a striker, and we see that all the time in Howe's system. In a fluid front two/three I can see Isak as a left forward playing the channels, dropping back, tucking in, all without encroaching on Wilson's position. Think of Henry, he was a centre forward, often playing with a striking partner, but on a heat map he'd classified more as a left inside forward. Drifting wide, cutting in and curling with his right. How many times did we not see that?

I imagine Isak could have a similar role "on the left" and it probably even being his best position, playing to his strengths.

Anyway, what a strange feeling to actually have faith in the manager to work it all out :lol:

And to compare one of our players to Henry :laugh:

from what I read about him at the time he signed, Isak considers himself a 'modern striker', able to play anywhere across the front line. He's not a stranger to the high press either, he seems perfect for Eddie's system and I have no doubt whatsoever he will be a success

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I’ve no doubt he can do the attacking side of a wide attacker role.  But chasing fullbacks? That’s a whole new challenge. 

2 minutes ago, Holloway said:

from what I read about him at the time he signed, Isak considers himself a 'modern striker', able to play anywhere across the front line. He's not a stranger to the high press either, he seems perfect for Eddie's system and I have no doubt whatsoever he will be a success

Mentioned, elsewhere, I watched the Chelsea game again on their channel. 

Was interesting listening to their two commentators. When they were on about our press and, even, how Wood was putting a shift in they mentioned "you can imagine it being even more difficult for us with Wilson racing in" 

Isak can do it too, no probs, as seen v Liverpool