Alexander Isak

Disco

5 minutes ago, AlanSkÃrare said:

Yes. That's mine. I've covered him extensively and done a lot of stuff on his background, career and social surroundings. He comes across very clever and calm. Seeing him make his professional debut at 16 and talking to him at that time, those attributes came across immediately. Talking to his old teachers and people he grew up with, it sounds as if he hasn't forgotten much about who he is and where he comes from. For example, he called his old Spanish teacher from San Sebastian to thank her for teaching him the Spanish language (she told me in person).

In my mind, Isak is a fantastic signing. I wouldn't be overly concerned with his goalscoring form from last year. He possesses qualities that could potentially make him devastating under Howe. His awareness and understanding of the game is vastly underrated. He has a tendency to link up with good passers (Ödegaard was a very good source for him), his movement is both smart and quick, he's a good finisher. His decision-making is what makes me think he'll fit in especially well under Howe, we attack teams with pace now, and what makes us dangerous is when our players manage to capitalise on the spaces they create for each other. Isak has been playing in a quite slow system at Real Sociedad. When he scored 17 for them the other year, they were more direct. Last season he was asked to do a lot of other stuff next to Sörloth, and La Real for some reason started to play a lot more through Oyarzabal, which just slowed them down even more. On top of that, he's overcome struggles in his career, his time at Dortmund in particular. 

If you want to look at recent, big games where he's performed well, I'd say you look at how he played against Spain last year, both in the Euro's and in the WC qualifiers. His goals against Greece in the WC qualifiers. His performance against Slovakia at the Euro's was also magnificent.

:thup:

Remember reading that when you first wrote it. Don't subscribe to Expressen anymore (sorry mate, aftonbladet are showing the European qualifiers, had to be them over the summer :lol:), but remember it being a cracking piece on him. 

TalkSPORT’s Jason Cundy has claimed that Chelsea should launch a bid to sign Alexander Isak

The Swedish international is reportedly close to confirming a £63m deal to join Newcastle United, who are threatening to upset the traditional ‘big six’.

Eddie Howe’s side are set to make yet another fantastic signing, after a highly impressive first few windows under their new owners.

The Blues are in the middle of their own striker crisis, with them struggling to find goals to start this season, particularly from their attackers.

Cundy pushes Chelsea to sign Isak

He said: “What a good player he is. I have to say now, I would not be unhappy if Chelsea signed him at all. It’s a lot of money, he’s had a lot of moves considering his age, he hasn’t quite done it. I think he’s an absolute superstar in the waiting.

“I think this is a big, bold move. It’s top end. He’s worth it in my opinion, I think this is a proper, proper player. Bags of pace, physically quick. This is a proper player this kid.”

looks like Cundy rates him, But Chelsea too late :mackems:

9 minutes ago, AlanSkÃrare said:

Yes. That's mine. I've covered him extensively and done a lot of stuff on his background, career and social surroundings. He comes across very clever and calm. Seeing him make his professional debut at 16 and talking to him at that time, those attributes came across immediately. Talking to his old teachers and people he grew up with, it sounds as if he hasn't forgotten much about who he is and where he comes from. For example, he called his old Spanish teacher from San Sebastian to thank her for teaching him the Spanish language (she told me in person).

In my mind, Isak is a fantastic signing. I wouldn't be overly concerned with his goalscoring form from last year. He possesses qualities that could potentially make him devastating under Howe. His awareness and understanding of the game is vastly underrated. He has a tendency to link up with good passers (Ödegaard was a very good source for him), his movement is both smart and quick, he's a good finisher. His decision-making is what makes me think he'll fit in especially well under Howe, we attack teams with pace now, and what makes us dangerous is when our players manage to capitalise on the spaces they create for each other. Isak has been playing in a quite slow system at Real Sociedad. When he scored 17 for them the other year, they were more direct. Last season he was asked to do a lot of other stuff next to Sörloth, and La Real for some reason started to play a lot more through Oyarzabal, which just slowed them down even more. On top of that, he's overcome struggles in his career, his time at Dortmund in particular. 

If you want to look at recent, big games where he's performed well, I'd say you look at how he played against Spain last year, both in the Euro's and in the WC qualifiers. His goals against Greece in the WC qualifiers. His performance against Slovakia at the Euro's was also magnificent.

Hook it up to me veins. 

17 minutes ago, gdm said:

Listening to total sport and the Spanish football ‘expert’/commentator John Driscoll they’ve got on isn’t too impressed :lol: said if he went to another la liga club you’d be looking at £15m and fee is enhanced coz of PL and Newcastle

said his stats were ‘awful’ last season. Scored 6 goals 2 from pens and 1 from a direct free kick 

and he said Callum Wilson starts ahead of him every day of week but he is an upgrade on Chris Wood which he paused before even saying that

and said he could find better for cheaper in la liga

:lol:

I’ve been more negative than most about this transfer but that’s way overboard. He’s at the very least a 35m player and in this market 40-45m would have been fair. He’s a very unique style of player and ideal for certain systems. Sounds to me like a bit of PL envy/bitterness which is (perhaps understandably) a lot more prominent from proponents of other Leagues these days.

Edited by McCormick

He seems to fit perfectly with the 'no dickheads' policy as well, very balanced and intelligent lad. 

I'm also confident that he's top or near the top of out list on all the key attributes for our system.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

5 minutes ago, prefabtoon said:

TalkSPORT’s Jason Cundy has claimed that Chelsea should launch a bid to sign Alexander Isak

The Swedish international is reportedly close to confirming a £63m deal to join Newcastle United, who are threatening to upset the traditional ‘big six’.

Eddie Howe’s side are set to make yet another fantastic signing, after a highly impressive first few windows under their new owners.

The Blues are in the middle of their own striker crisis, with them struggling to find goals to start this season, particularly from their attackers.

Cundy pushes Chelsea to sign Isak

He said: “What a good player he is. I have to say now, I would not be unhappy if Chelsea signed him at all. It’s a lot of money, he’s had a lot of moves considering his age, he hasn’t quite done it. I think he’s an absolute superstar in the waiting.

“I think this is a big, bold move. It’s top end. He’s worth it in my opinion, I think this is a proper, proper player. Bags of pace, physically quick. This is a proper player this kid.”

looks like Cundy rates him, But Chelsea too late :mackems:

They’ve already got Havertz who looks exactly the same player.

6 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I’ve been more negative than most about this transfer but that’s way overboard. He’s at the very least a 35m player and in this market 40-45m would have been fair. He’s a very unique style of player and ideal for certain systems. Sounds to me like a bit of PL envy/bitterness which is (perhaps understandably) a lot more prominent from proponents of other Leagues these days.

The guy was English so not sure why he’d be bitter. I agree tho his view was overboard 

Forward is arguably the easiest position to be thrown in to start with little preparation, I can see why Howe has been cautious with defenders and midfielders but hopefully Isak can get a bit of training in on Friday & Saturday & then be thrown in.

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

Fuck me you're simple sometimes. RW is not a role, it's a starting position. How the player plays the position is dependent upon what you ask of them. We don't lack penetration on the right wing, we lack bodies in the box to get on the end of that penetration. With a starting position of RW with the instruction to get into the box, he'll be essentially playing CF for 80% of the match.

Playing up top in a 2 is very different to playing wide in a 3.

In a 3 you will have far more defensive responsibility or a big tactical decision to not chase fullbacks. You are also much more likely to be 1v1 against a fullback wide in a 3 than central in a 2. And the player typically starts further away from another attacker. 

I mean.. it's literally not the same position and requires different skillsets.

I haven't seen enough of Isak's game to know whether he likes to run the channels or those outside - in runs like a Lukaku enjoys. Lukaku has played well wide in a 3 several times under Martinez. He likes to face goal and run that way, make runs between fullback and CB and isolate a fullback at the far post. 

Don't get arsey with me fella. I'm just pointing out what i've seen/read. Someone said he played RW in a season which according to transfermarkt is not true (it might be in practice). You've suggested RW and playing CF is 80% the same role... and most of the time.. it's not. Not to say he can't be a massive success at RW, I just haven't seen the evidence to suggest that's what he's been brought in for.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Like myself, they think he’s overhyped after a very good 20/21 season and a great Euro performance. Not a prolific goal scorer but I do really like him. Sociedad’s play-style didn’t help but he was largely underwhelming last season. I’ve no doubt Howe can get the best out of him as he does have the attributes to potentially be a very special player.

I’ve said it earlier I’m very impressed that we’ve managed to convince a player with his reputation to sign for us and we’re showing that, if we really want a player, we’ll pay over the odds to get him in. That, in and of itself, is very encouraging.

Aye me too.

They've done what I wanted all summer. A marquee signing that sends a message throughout Europe. The profile of player is excellent (young, seems a good lad, quick, skilful etc.). Show we can identify a top target and push the boat out to get him.

Well chuffed.

Although for the money, I would've preferred Tammy. He's more similar to Wilson in style and would be a direct replacement.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Playing up top in a 2 is very different to playing wide in a 3.

In a 3 you will have far more defensive responsibility or a big tactical decision to not chase fullbacks. You are also much more likely to be 1v1 against a fullback wide in a 3 than central in a 2. And the player typically starts further away from another attacker. 

I mean.. it's literally not the same position and requires different skillsets.

I haven't seen enough of Isak's game to know whether he likes to run the channels or those outside - in runs like a Lukaku enjoys. Lukaku has played well wide in a 3 several times under Martinez. He likes to face goal and run that way, make runs between fullback and CB and isolate a fullback at the far post. 

Don't get arsey with me fella. I'm just pointing out what i've seen/read. Someone said he played RW in a season which according to transfermarkt is not true (it might be in practice). You've suggested RW and playing CF is 80% the same role... and most of the time.. it's not. Not to say he can't be a massive success at RW, I just haven't seen the evidence to suggest that's what he's been brought in for.

There are no rules that say the player picked in the RW position has to defend. the player who is position when the ball is lost will have that responsibility, and since the plan is to get Isak into the penalty area, if it is him then the attack has broken down early. Fact is it shoud still be Almiron and Trippier, since I'm not asking them to change their game, just their starting position.

If you observe Miggy he circles around that area on the right, exchanging passes with Bruno and Trippier. This play has created more opportunities than any other, but we've yet to score from any of them, because we only had Wilson in the box.

Just now, Mazzy said:

They clearly knew about Wilson being missing for 4 weeks when they went into this deal for Isak! Makes way more sense now why it's been done so quickly.

Seeing Wood struggle against League 2 opposition yesterday probably helped too.