Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Newcastle United (28/08/2022)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

He's not going to last much longer. He's blaming the ref, our so-called long ball game and our dirty defending, when his team didn't play with enough spirit to match the talent at their disposal. He needs to put his own house in order.

Are you confusing Neves with Their manager? 

Guest HTT II

Looking back on this game, again I thought we were, in general, very good. We’d have been hammered under Bruce by this lot and would have barely touched the ball last season even under Howe.

A good point in the circumstances and we probably should've nicked a win tbh.
Still think there was something a bit off with the tempo and quality of our attacking play but that’s understandable missing the players we did. It would be awesome to get a couple of players in this week (a midfielder and a winger) to lighten the burden on some of our key players. If we do we’ve got a real chance at upsetting quite a few of the supposed big boys come May and handle upcoming injuries.

Just now, r0cafella said:

I was surprised how little these lot offered. They played like they were far away team. 

I was shocked at how badly they kept possession, having Moutinho, Neves and Nunes in the middle should give them control over most games. Can’t see their manager lasting the season.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I was shocked at how badly they kept possession, having Moutinho, Neves and Nunes in the middle should give them control over most games. Can’t see their manager lasting the season.

Aye, the plan they had was to sit deep and counter quickly down the flanks. I mean it makes sense it’s a logical system but it seems more well suited to playing away than playing at home. 

8 hours ago, huss9 said:

poorest away crowd, and best home crowd performance for a while.

safe standing makes such a difference to the atmosphere.

There was one safe standing section in the home end that all seemed to be sitting down, arms draped over the barriers. What’s the fucking point? :lol:

I can see where the Wolves fans are coming from when saying they controlled the game (although I don't fully agree with them. For me neither team was really in control and it was a very open game). They were happy for us to push our team up and hold the ball as they were quite comfortable defending against us and very good on the counter attack. We've seen several times, especially under Rafa, that we could control a game where we didn't have most shots or possession.

The Neves comment about the tackle is baffling though, especially if he's seen the replay as he says. Schars boot barely scraped the shin before landing on the Wolves players foot. No risk of breaking anything whatsoever, and a clear yellow card.

They controlled the game in the sense that we used to with Rafa, where they shut everything down, give up possession and for the most part never look in any danger.

What can't be explained is just how often they gave the ball away and why a team with players as good as their's is playing like that in the first place. You look at their line up, think pffft this is going to be tough, then the match starts and they're pretty shit. Bruno starts that match yesterday and we win it imo.

4 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I can see where the Wolves fans are coming from when saying they controlled the game (although I don't fully agree with them. For me neither team was really in control and it was a very open game). They were happy for us to push our team up and hold the ball as they were quite comfortable defending against us and very good on the counter attack. We've seen several times, especially under Rafa, that we could control a game where we didn't have most shots or possession.

The Neves comment about the tackle is baffling though, especially if he's seen the replay as he says. Schars boot barely scraped the shin before landing on the Wolves players foot. No risk of breaking anything whatsoever, and a clear yellow card.

Having a read through Molineuxmix and none of them seem to think they were in control. Many of them do think we dominated.

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Looking back on this game, again I thought we were, in general, very good. We’d have been hammered under Bruce by this lot and would have barely touched the ball last season even under Howe.

Love the way we are purposely bringing the ball out from the back now, what a warm fuzzy feeling I get when I see Pope rolling the ball out to the nearest man instead of hoofing it long. :love:

1 hour ago, TheGuv said:

There was one safe standing section in the home end that all seemed to be sitting down, arms draped over the barriers. What’s the fucking point? :lol:

i think we suffered by being streched out the whole length of the pitch.they had 2 sections of safe standing. the stand to our left were canny loud. those in the corner to our right no so much.

1 hour ago, madras said:

Having a read through Molineuxmix and none of them seem to think they were in control. Many of them do think we dominated.

Fair enough. Haven't read myself, just going off what some was saying a few posts up.

6 minutes ago, Yassassin said:

Ref Watch Dermot thinks we should have had a penalty

We clearly should have. It's like they thought we had an advantage as Willock missed a sitter so decided to hold that against us.

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

We clearly should have. It's like they thought we had an advantage as Willock missed a sitter so decided to hold that against us.

Exactly, there's no advantage greater than a penalty unless you actually score 

7 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

They were so bad. Couldn’t be watching those cheating cunts every week. Some quality players. Yet they had a similar style to Stoke second half. Mixed in with some proper continental diving and fake injuries. 

Would have taken a point when the fixtures came out. Even more so when we had 2 of our 3 best attacking players missing. All that said. I felt like we could have won. They were dreadful and we were decent, all things considered. 

Seems ridiculous to say we could have won, given how late our equaliser was, but we had 3 excellent chances to win it.

Wolves really is an atrocious away day. It's a perfectly OK town with a ground pretty much in the centre so should be great. But every single pub (apart from 1 hidden away from the centre) is shut off completely to away fans. Needlessly hostile, and unnecessary, and makes for a shite pre-game experience. Then when you're in the ground the away atmosphere is pish because of how stretched out the support is on that lower tier. Very poor noise from our fans yesterday - but the circumstances basically kill it as an experience allround.

When you add in what an arse it is to get to the Midlands from Newcastle - it's not an away game I'll ever be doing again. Thankfully I spent the morning in Birmingham before heading through - and would probably recommend anybody ever going to do the same.

Would have been mortified if we hadn't have got the draw.

Guest HTT II
Just now, ponsaelius said:

Wolves really is an atrocious away day. It's a perfectly OK town with a ground pretty much in the centre so should be great. But every single pub (apart from 1 hidden away from the centre) is shut off completely to away fans. Needlessly hostile, and unnecessary, and makes for a shite pre-game experience. Then when you're in the ground the away atmosphere is pish because of how stretched out the support is on that lower tier. Very poor noise from our fans yesterday - but the circumstances basically kill it as an experience allround.

When you add in what an arse it is to get to the Midlands from Newcastle - it's not an away game I'll ever be doing again. Thankfully I spent the morning in Birmingham before heading through - and would probably recommend anybody ever going to do the same.

Would have been mortified if we hadn't have got the draw.

Wolves is a grim place full stop, spice city capital, full of beggars, shit pubs with angry people and shit hotels.