Other other games (2023/24)

simonsays

Just now, Yorkie said:

Basically like Gordon's against whoever it was (Brentford?) Completely bought. Desperately unlucky but there's a fair argument to give the pen.

Came in to say the same thing, it's thick defending and very aware play from the player who's seen the situation and nipped in first. It's extremely disproportionate to award a pen but it's still a (soft as fuck) foul in the box

Would be absolutely raging if that was my team that had lost that game. The contact was so minimal on both occasions. Why they chose to make

one a clear and obvious error and the other not makes no sense to me. The first one they clearly didn’t think was a pen but couldn’t overturn because it wasn’t clear and obvious enough. However, they should have applied the same logic for the second one 

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Would be absolutely raging if that was my team that had lost that game. The contact was so minimal on both occasions. Why they chose to make

one a clear and obvious error and the other not makes no sense to me. The first one they clearly didn’t think was a pen but couldn’t overturn because it wasn’t clear and obvious enough. However, they should have applied the same logic for the second one 

Yeah, they are just bad at their jobs and the clear and obvious shite just muddles the water.

As soon as you hear the name Stuart Atwell you just knew it was going to be a fucking joke. He's abysmal and has been for a long time, yet they just persist with the fucking idiot. Beggars belief he's still in the Premier League.

Edited by Bimpy474

If you make a challenge in the penalty area, make contact but don't get the ball, you're in trouble. However, it does look like VAR is increasingly favouring the attacker. If that's consistent, then I suppose we can live with it. 

I wasn't in favour of VAR except for pure matters of fact like offsides and whether the ball has crossed the goal-line. However, now that it's here, we have to expect a period of adjustment until some level of stability is achieved.

Ultimately, I suppose, there has to be some acceptance by managers and pundits that the system is operated by human beings and some decisions are very difficult. If everyone's going to continue moaning like this, then maybe it'll soon be time to revert to 'fact only' decisions.

I have a major issue with contact meaning penalty. I know you’re getting into subjective areas but basically any contact with legs is now being considered as a pen. We know that players love to fool refs so we’re going to see even more trailing legs and collisions that were never going to lead to goals being awarded as pens. Feel like the refs should be braver when it comes to contact in the box. Was it dangerous? Did it stop a goal scoring opportunity? Was the contact enough to bring someone down? These are questions that should be asked. If the answer is yes to any of those it’s a pen