Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

5 hours ago, TRon said:

Read an interview this weekend, I think it was Fernandinho who was waxing lyrical about Pep's coaching methods. I think it's easy to think he just buys the best players and that's why he wins everything, that piece just reminded me how good he actually is. I will try to dig it up if it's not already been posted.

Pep's deployment of John Stones as an inverted roaming fullback is genius. Arteta copied the same formation in deploying Zinchenko the same way. Klopp did the same using TAA as a hybrid roaming right back and central midfielder and our performances improved. 

I dunno if Stones is an inverted roaming fullback, i think out of posession when he does drop into the backline he drops centrally, or am I wrong on that? He was using that young left back for that role (and Cancelo before that) doing that from wide, but has adapted it for Stones in centre with Akanji and Diaz staying deep

1 hour ago, Froggy said:

Great Job Reaction GIF

Great. 

https://www.espn.com.br/futebol/manchester-united/artigo/_/id/12157802/ex-namorada-acusa-antony-do-manchester-united-de-agressoes-e-ameaca-bo-relata-quatro-episodios-de-violencia

the reports are grim as fuck:

The second episode reported in the B.O. reportedly took place in Cavallin's apartment. Antony allegedly assaulted her for "reasons of jealousy", having caused displacement of her silicone prosthesis. She reports that she was reportedly seen by two Manchester United doctors and then had to undergo surgery in Presidente Prudente, in the interior of São Paulo, in April 2023.

Edited by Smal

lan Shearer interviews Fernandinho: City, Pep Guardiola and genius ‘simple’ football

Alan Shearer

Jun 2, 2023

Fernandinho interrupts my flow — something he was always pretty always special at for Manchester City. I’m trying to prise out details about working under Pep Guardiola and the demands he places on his players, but I’d become lost in clauses and sub-clauses, making things complicated about a manager whose genius is to make the game look so beautiful, so free and fluent and easy…

“Let me ask you something: how many goals did you score in your career?” he says, flying out of nowhere, and I hesitate deliberately, as if every single one of them isn’t seared on my soul. “In the Premier League… 260,” I say, umming and ahhing, playing it cool, “but a few others in the cups. About 400 (it’s actually 283 in league football and 409 in total for club and country, but hey, I’m totally relaxed about it and who’s counting anyway).”

Follow live coverage of Manchester United vs Manchester City in the FA Cup final today

“I’m sure if you had Pep as your manager, you would score even more — double or triple that,” Fernandinho says and now I’m trying not to drool as I do the maths in my head and the awestruck admiration I’ve felt towards Erling Haaland this season is morphing into something closer to outright jealousy.

“Pep makes you understand that football is more simple than you think. He’s got the power to convince you, to show you, to prove to you on a daily basis in training sessions, in meetings, and especially during games, that everything he’s telling you is going to happen.

“Obviously, it’s a different era to when you played and the amount of information a footballer has today is huge. Before you go to a game with City, you know everything about your opponent — everything. In your case, as a striker, you’d know exactly the movements the defenders are used to making, if they have a deficiency on the left or right side, or in covering a big space, if they’re good in the air, using their body or on the ground.

“After a conversation or meeting or training session with Pep, you have all this information and know exactly how to use it. He shows you the way to improve yourself, to be a better version of yourself. I’ve always said I’m the living proof that everything people say about him is true. I first met him when I was 30, I worked with him for seven years and he helped me improve my technical, tactical and physical skills.

“The way I see football now… I’d never, ever seen it like that before I met him. That’s why he’s considered one of the greatest managers of all time and that’s why he’s a hunter of titles. He’s 100 per cent focused on his job, on his work, on extracting a better version of his players every day. If there’s something he thinks you’re capable of doing, he’s going to tell you, he’s going teach you, he’s going to convince you until you do it. He’s really, really special.”

I’m fascinated by that concept of making the game simple and what that actually means.

“Coming from a country like Brazil, the first thing they tell young players they have to do is dribble past two or three players, to make the difference in that way,” Fernandinho says.

“With Pep, it’s different. When someone has the ball, you have to help them: play short passes, move, keep the ball at the right time, pass the ball in the right moment, try to occupy space and try to find the player behind the lines.

“If you take the first goal against Real Madrid (in the Champions League semi-final second leg), the simple pass Kevin (De Bruyne) gave to Bernardo (Silva) and the way he controlled the ball and finished, it was simple football but very effective. When you talk about simple, it’s seeing your team-mate on the pitch and passing the ball in a way he can control it properly to finish the action. That’s the definition of playing simple.”

It was an interview he gave in The Athletic, Alan Shearer doing the interview as well. @rgk_lfc

28 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I dunno if Stones is an inverted roaming fullback, i think out of posession when he does drop into the backline he drops centrally, or am I wrong on that? He was using that young left back for that role (and Cancelo before that) doing that from wide, but has adapted it for Stones in centre with Akanji and Diaz staying deep

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/06/john-stones-centre-midfield-centre-back-hybrid-role/

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/walker-cannot-play-inverted-full-back-citys-system-guardiola-2023-04-08/

They gave us a footballing lesson in the defeat two to three months ago. Klopp pretty much adapted that system and played TAA in the hybrid inverted full back role and our performances have been significantly better since then. 

5 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

https://theanalyst.com/na/2023/06/john-stones-centre-midfield-centre-back-hybrid-role/

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/walker-cannot-play-inverted-full-back-citys-system-guardiola-2023-04-08/

They gave us a footballing lesson in the defeat two to three months ago. Klopp pretty much adapted that system and played TAA in the hybrid inverted full back role and our performances have been significantly better since then. 

I think he was saying Pep does it differently now as Stones is moving into that role from CB rather than the way he used to do it with fullbacks? Arsenal and Liverpool seem to use Peps old method of just inverting a fullback. City aren't really using fullbacks now but rather 4 CBs that turns into a 3 in possession. 

I think Pep said something about noticing playing CBs out wide meant they won a lot more duels and physical battles so they're stronger defensively, got more height for set pieces and can still have an additional body in midfield in possession now. 

37 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

I think he was saying Pep does it differently now as Stones is moving into that role from CB rather than the way he used to do it with fullbacks? Arsenal and Liverpool seem to use Peps old method of just inverting a fullback. City aren't really using fullbacks now but rather 4 CBs that turns into a 3 in possession. 

I think Pep said something about noticing playing CBs out wide meant they won a lot more duels and physical battles so they're stronger defensively, got more height for set pieces and can still have an additional body in midfield in possession now. 

Makes sense. :thup:

On the 'imverted fullback' debate, I have to say that it looked very much like Pep rip off when 'Trent' was pushed into that position following the public clamour for seeing 'something different' and Pep's seeming urge towards implementing that tactical shift -initially with Walker then with Stones.

By the time Pep had done it, the other suckers were trying to do the same. The unoriginal fucks.

Is Ayoze an option to help fill out the homegrown quota with some players that are actually good enough to play a part? I still rate Ayoze, and think Eddie could help his form massively.

5 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I'd love Ayoze back on a one or two year deal like.

Our days of licking the bowl and mixing spoon are gone, we are cake men now.

41 minutes ago, matta said:

Is Ayoze an option to help fill out the homegrown quota with some players that are actually good enough to play a part? I still rate Ayoze, and think Eddie could help his form massively.

I dont think he would count as he was 20 when he signed. 

Plus he is 29 now so pass 

Edited by NUFC

Where the fuck would he fit in?

Not even taking into account the fact he’s basically been shit since leaving us 4 years ago and is 30 next month. We’re bigger than submitting to nostalgia now.

46 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Where the fuck would he fit in?

Not even taking into account the fact he’s basically been shit since leaving us 4 years ago and is 30 next month. We’re bigger than submitting to nostalgia now.

Yeah, i agree.

Thinking Howe might bring the best out of him, but i don't think he would offer more than a backup role today. Tought about this after the Fraser Forster links, which seems to be partly down to homegrown(?).

Loved Ayoze and there'd be worse freebies out there, but I don't think he'd be a good signing for us at this point. Plus all the gammony aggro he got from the stands - which he more than silenced, particularly in 18/19 - would only be rejuvenated. None of us needs that. 

Lots of great memories of him, though. Still the last player to score a hat-trick for us I think? 

Cruyff discusses the inverted fb here. It’s been around for yonks.  

Pep did it with Delph, Zinchenko and Cancelo.  How could Pep he copying Klopp?

Stones isn’t playing FB in any phase of play.  He’s a CB who pushes into midfield.  Ake or Akanji play left back and Walker right back. 

On 06/06/2023 at 09:54, TRon said:

Read an interview this weekend, I think it was Fernandinho who was waxing lyrical about Pep's coaching methods. I think it's easy to think he just buys the best players and that's why he wins everything, that piece just reminded me how good he actually is. I will try to dig it up if it's not already been posted.

Exactly. He has the best players but he usually makes them better. Messi was at his best under Pep. Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Pedro, Fernandinho, Sterling, and many others others got better under Pep even though they were already at a high level.

18 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

God I am fucking thirsty for some football. Just want the new season to start :lol:

I'm bored as fook, like.

Hoping the cockney wankers don't win later.

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Cruyff discusses the inverted fb here. It’s been around for yonks.  

Pep did it with Delph, Zinchenko and Cancelo.  How could Pep he copying Klopp?

Stones isn’t playing FB in any phase of play.  He’s a CB who pushes into midfield.  Ake or Akanji play left back and Walker right back. 

Has anyone suggested this?