Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

3 hours ago, Froggy said:

Only the same as what you see. We were utterly convinced he just wasn't fit. Dropping him for Evans is pure and utter madness.

Martinez is a character so has a lot of fans because of that. Gets stuck in, plays for the badge and is a good footballer. Varane is a Rolls Royce though. Head and shoulders above any other centre back for us. When Martinez was injured last season Varane still held the defence together. When Varane isn't there it's usually a shambles.

At the same time Evans has been above expectations (which were low to be fair). Varane struggled with fitness, so there could be something there that Ten Hag wasn't happy with. I just hate that whenever there's a decision made at the club that it's always leaked and blown up in the press. It's pretty embarassing at this point.

Cheers @Froggy- good to hear the logic.

Where would you say Varane ranks when compared to Ferdinand etc etc.

Now things have settled with Martinez after the initial shite in the media, how good do you think he can be? Does he have much more of a ceiling or is this pretty much it with him do you think?

Top story on BBC News that Premier League clubs are continuing to play players who have abuse claims made against them.

It's obviously terrible but it's pretty common knowledge that this is been happening?  I'm surprised the BBC are making it out like it's some sort of exclusive big story

Our neighbours down the road did it and you only have to have been on Twitter in the last year or two to know about other players who have been accused but continued to play

I guess it's good that action might be taken though just think it's odd that they're going on about it as if it's a surprised to anyone

A current PL Manager excused of being a pedo is certainly a story. 

image.thumb.png.1f3de66ba3ab4e89592eae129cbb4477.png

There's only 6 of the managers that were in the country during the early 1990s. Only two of those over the age of 18 at the time. 

Ouch. 

Edited by OCK

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Top story on BBC News that Premier League clubs are continuing to play players who have abuse claims made against them.

It's obviously terrible but it's pretty common knowledge that this is been happening?  I'm surprised the BBC are making it out like it's some sort of exclusive big story

Our neighbours down the road did it and you only have to have been on Twitter in the last year or two to know about other players who have been accused but continued to play

I guess it's good that action might be taken though just think it's odd that they're going on about it as if it's a surprised to anyone

If such a claim was made against me at work, I'd be suspended straight away - no questions. A footballer should be no different, even though there is innocent until proven guilty.

9 minutes ago, OCK said:

There's only 6 of the managers that were in the country during the early 1990s. Only two of those over the age of 18 at the time. 

Ouch. 

What's this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67508310

Kate says she was 15 when she was raped by a man who is now a boss at a Premier League club.

"He's a very powerful man who threatened me into silence," she told the BBC.

She reported it to the police in the early 1990s, but as she was "terrified", said she only wanted to proceed if other women came forward.

Kate says she didn't hear anything more from the police until she decided to make a historic report in 2021 - after seeing other victims of high powered men being taken seriously following the Me Too movement. The man was questioned about her allegations in June 2023 and released under police investigation.

The boss was also investigated in 2021 after an allegation that he sexually abused a different 15-year-old in the 1990s. No further action was taken in that case because of legislation which stated that if an offence of "unlawful sexual intercourse" took place between 1956 and 2004, and the alleged victim was a girl aged 13 to 15, she had to make a complaint within a year.

Kate says a month after the boss was questioned by police she contacted the FA and Premier League about her allegations, after learning that major football clubs in the UK trained children as young as nine.

"I really started to worry about young girls at the academies and women employees and players that might not know," she told the BBC.

The FA and Premier League have clear policies relating to safeguarding children. But Kate feels in the case of this man they have failed.

It took the Premier League over two months to acknowledge her report to its safeguarding email address - claiming the email had been lost in its inbox.

The FA told Kate that despite her safeguarding concerns she won't be informed of whether any action is being taken as it does "not ordinarily comment publicly about individual safeguarding cases".

"I've been unable to relax not knowing if any precautions have been taken. As far as I know they are still putting children at risk," Kate says.

We have been unable to establish if any action has been taken by the club and it did not respond to requests for comment. Since June, the boss has appeared to continue his prominent role and has attended club games or events within the past month.

Kate says she has repeatedly reached out to organisations and government ministers, including the NSPCC and relevant police commissioner, urging them to protect children and women within football. Her last request to all of these, seen by the BBC, was sent on 10 November.

The BBC understands the boss has denied the allegation.

The BBC has spoken to another woman, Lisa, who says in the late 90s she was locked in a room by the boss as he attempted to coerce her into sexual activity. She says this took place during a job interview when she was in her early 20s.

The police are investigating her account.

Regarding its safeguarding policies the FA told us they were "regularly reviewed by the NSPCC's Child Protection in Sport Unit".

It added that the Premier League is responsible for its clubs.

Just now, Tiresias said:

By boss is it definitely a manager or could it be a chief exec or some sort?

Aye, not that it makes it any less serious, but I'd imagine boss is someone above the manager.

Not sure why they wouldn't just come out and say manager if that was the case. 

4 hours ago, OCK said:

Ouch. 

I count 3?