Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

Yeah it's a big worry, not inherently because of their nationality, but because America is synonymous with hypercapitalism. I've been worried about this for years, not just in football, but our economy, our politics, our culture. People have been burying their heads in the sand about this stuff and trying to claim America has no bearing or influence on us - absolutely deluded imo. 

Football going this way in our country is my worst nightmare. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah it's a big worry, not inherently because of their nationality, but because America is synonymous with hypercapitalism. I've been worried about this for years, not just in football, but our economy, our politics, our culture. People have been burying their heads in the sand about this stuff and trying to claim America has no bearing or influence on us - absolutely deluded imo. 

We've been America's bitch since the end of the WW2. Very soon we'll have their "Healthcare" system. 

As for soccer, they'll force through an elite league and franchise the clubs away from where they are now. 

2 club cities, inc London, won't exesist. 

Bookmark

3 hours ago, toon25 said:

I wonder if Fat Mike would have raised the price for us if he were still here in light of the types of coin being mooted for Spurs, Manure etc?

He probably would've but I doubt anyone with good intentions would've come in. In spite of the ludicrous sums other clubs are going for, they're perennial European qualifiers with clear structure and facilities. I don't see how he culd've justified it considering the structural shell of a club.

Either way, he made his bed and ended up lying in it. The dipshit would've made so much more out of us over the 14 years and from the sale if he just didn't have to be such a spiteful little bitch.

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

How is current state PL not 'hyper-capitalist'? 

16 minutes ago, The Bonk said:

How is current state PL not 'hyper-capitalist'? 

It's clubs that are being bought rather than the PL and those clubs leaving the PL is part of the concern tbh.

There's still tons of room for clubs to monetise themselves into meaninglessness (from the local fans' perspective) that hasn't happened yet.

Edited by Kid Icarus

interesting debate. I agree with Carragher on this in terms of why should the premier league make itself less competitive for the sake of other European leagues? Especially when the likes of Barca and Real Madrid don’t even distribute the wealth they generate from their own league in a way that is competitive and fair.

what if there was a solution that could benefit everyone? The premier league generates 2.6 billion in broadcasting revenue. What if the clubs in the country came to an agreement. Either through legal means or in trust, where they agreed that say 25% would be ringfenced towards community spending.

I know many clubs already do this, which is great, but as far as I can see it’s mostly geared towards treating symptoms of a decaying society rather than actually trying so solve it. Instead of putting a bit of money in to say a homeless shelter, why not put a huge chunk in to a council estate. Instead of putting money in to food banks, put money in to a training centre so people can develop skills where they’ll be able to work in a job that offers them a better life?

Clubs could work with local councils and figure out where money could be best spent within each area.

Edited by Rafalove

4 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

The fact Guillem mentions us alongside City in the beginning is just hilarious.

Stopped watching at that point. Spent less than West Ham, but we're being singled out, while Chelsea are throwing money around like there's no tomorrow :lol:

Out 'net spend' is also massively inflated because Ashley was such a tight prick and left us with literally not a single sellable player. 

25 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Stopped watching at that point. Spent less than West Ham, but we're being singled out, while Chelsea are throwing money around like there's no tomorrow :lol:

Out 'net spend' is also massively inflated because Ashley was such a tight prick and left us with literally not a single sellable player. 

The accusations are that we are 'doping' by bringing in an unfair amount of money into the club than what market value should be for those type of sponsorships etc. Nowt to do with transfers. 

He does say the accusations are someone else and he'd argue against it but I'm still not sure why Newcastle are being brought up with City and PSG :lol:

So much talk about the problem but the solutions provided always lean towards protecting the incumbent big clubs. It’s quite clear from the arguments made nobody cares about actual competition they just wanted to create a closed shop. 

14 hours ago, r0cafella said:

So much talk about the problem but the solutions provided always lean towards protecting the incumbent big clubs. It’s quite clear from the arguments made nobody cares about actual competition they just wanted to create a closed shop. 

That's always the solution to everything. How coincidental.

The formation of the Premier League, the formation of the Champions League, every re-jigging of the Champions League (cant have no Spanish/English/German/French clubs qualifying legitimately now), expanding of the Champions League, Super League, TV deals, this rule, that rule