Arsenal 0-0 Newcastle United (03/01/2023)

Yorkie

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

This season has been great all round though, I cannot say that losing x-amount of minutes/seconds per game has had a negligible effect on the quality of matches?

Agree it's been a good season in general (great for us). Time wasting has been a pet hate of mine for as long as I can remember, so it's not exclusive to this or last season. As previously mentioned, I don't mind us making the most of it as long as it is allowed but I wish more was done to prevent teams in general exploiting time wasting. More added time or stop clock seems the obvious and most fair ways to do it. Another way is to punish players for wasting time - i.e follow the time rules for how long a keeper can hold onto the ball etc, yellow card players kicking ball away or holding onto ball when it's the opposing teams ball to play etc, but I fear that is harder to enforce fairly.

13 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Agree it's been a good season in general (great for us). Time wasting has been a pet hate of mine for as long as I can remember, so it's not exclusive to this or last season. As previously mentioned, I don't mind us making the most of it as long as it is allowed but I wish more was done to prevent teams in general exploiting time wasting. More added time or stop clock seems the obvious and most fair ways to do it. Another way is to punish players for wasting time - i.e follow the time rules for how long a keeper can hold onto the ball etc, yellow card players kicking ball away or holding onto ball when it's the opposing teams ball to play etc, but I fear that is harder to enforce fairly.

For as long as I can remember, any attempt or initiative to punish professional footballers for behaving like complete bellends will fall down the first time it has to be seriously enforced. Referees shit themselves and back down, pundits spout lines about damaging the product if too many players are sent off or suspended and footballers, by and large, continue behaving as they always have done.

Just now, geordiesteve710 said:

For as long as I can remember, any attempt or initiative to punish professional footballers for behaving like complete bellends will fall down the first time it has to be seriously enforced. Referees shit themselves and back down, pundits spout lines about damaging the product if too many players are sent off or suspended and footballers, by and large, continue behaving as they always have done.

Exactly, and the moaning from players/pundits have also been understandable as referees aren't able to enforce the rules equally. There will always be a decision during a game this week that contradicts a similar decision that was made last week, so ideally it's handled in a way where you take the matter out of referees hands to deal with.

Couldn’t give a shit about the time wasting any teams do - whether it takes the sting out of the game or not. My issue is only that the teams who do it (us included) need to realize that stoppage time will be longer than usual, and if we/they employ that tactic in stoppage time the ref could add more time on like done at Liverpool.

(I’ve no clue if adding time in stoppage time at ref’s discretion is within the rules or not.)

11 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Couldn’t give a shit about the time wasting any teams do - whether it takes the sting out of the game or not. My issue is only that the teams who do it (us included) need to realize that stoppage time will be longer than usual, and if we/they employ that tactic in stoppage time the ref could add more time on like done at Liverpool.

(I’ve no clue if adding time in stoppage time at ref’s discretion is within the rules or not.)

It definitely is.

quite enjoyed this opening paragraph in the guardian report on the game.

It seemed fitting that Newcastle’s final active part in this game, deep into stoppage time, should feature Dan Burn wheeling away deep on the left wing, bouncing red shirts out of his orbit, cheered wildly by an away support led by a pink, shirtless quivering man who seemed utterly intoxicated by this spectacle, mainlining it, high on that sweet, sweet Big Dan Burn energy.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/jan/03/a-thrilling-messy-wrestle-dan-burn-was-the-heart-of-this-thing

1 minute ago, geordiesteve710 said:

It definitely is.

It's not a new thing....just picked up more now due to every moment being televised and evaluated.

I seem to recall Shearer taking the ball to the corner in a match (possibly against Liverpool?) when we were winning in the 75th minute and held it for a good three or four minutes before it went out for a throw

Guest reefatoon

There is no way that fanny Arteta is going to be able to cope with a title race/run in. Made an utter cunt of himself to boot.

11 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

There is no way that fanny Arteta is going to be able to cope with a title race/run in. Made an utter cunt of himself to boot.

I think last season was the main reason why he coped so badly yesterday as he laid the foundations/expectations for his team for yesterday already in the post-match interview last season.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12614929/newcastle-2-0-arsenal-mikel-arteta-admits-his-side-had-nothing-as-granit-xhaka-questions-team-mates

"It was a really difficult night to swallow," Arteta told Sky Sports. "Newcastle deserved to win the match comfortably, they were much better than us from the beginning to the last minute. We had nothing in the game. 

They were much better in every department. We were poor with the ball. A lot of things happened during the night, with the substitutions we had to make through injuries, but it's not an excuse. Newcastle deserved to win the match."

Asked what he told his players in the dressing room following their damaging defeat, Arteta said: "I'm extremely disappointed. That Newcastle were 10 times better than us and fully deserved the match."

Personally hope him and Arsenal don't drop off. If it isn't going to be us, I'd much rather Arsenal win the league than Man City or anyone else in contention.

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

Ball being in play for 43 minutes is a disgrace tbh, and I'm fully in support of introducing WC extra time or stopping the clock when ball is out of play.

However, as long as it's allowed we need to be as cynical as every other team is allowed to be. 

It's perhaps a compliment that some of these fans and media are so rattled by our performance. It's like they are admitting we have crashed the party and are already at their level so should not be trying to grind out a point away at the league leaders. It's like they forget that last season the majority of this squad were battling relegation.

It's absolutely remarkable what Eddie and this squad are doing and we are so far ahead of schedule that it means there are still times where we can't play our normal style and need to dig in and defend well. That may still happen in the future if we sign better quality players, because sometimes you might be abit off it and playing away against a team bang in form you just need to swallow your pride and just not get beat.

So yeah, while it's irritating that people are moaning on about our tactics in what, 2 maybe 3 games against the bigger teams this year? The bigger picture is we are doing what we need to do and hopefully can keep adding more quality to the group over the next few years. 

Why wasn't Arteta booked for his antics by the way? What's the point of having a 'technical area' and being able to give yellow cards to managers if Artetas going ons yesterday wasn't worthy of a booking? 

They didn't do enough as a league leading team at home to deserve to win.

When you watch the highlights in isolation away from the nerves of the heat of the moment some of their's are nothing chances really, a mis-header looping harmlessly wide as opposed a wild scramble in the box and the the crossbar and post saving us.

Wonder if deep down that's the source of their OTT frustration.

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

Last season, effective playing time dropped to its lowest level in the Premier League since the 2010-11 season, with just 55 minutes and seven seconds of action, on average.

Not looked at any of that data but I've a lot of matches from the 90s where its little different and in fact on one game Richard Keys described the ball as being in play for 61minutes as 'that's good' so can't be much in it.

All that's changed is us.

Arteta complaining that we haven't set up as we did last night when playing other teams this season. Sounds to me that Howe outsmarted Arteta who threw his dummy out of the pram because we didn't adopt the tactics he expected lol!!!