Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I agree, but that was too many changes and changes which seemed more scattergun than you’d normally see from Howe.  

Even then, we played our 30m defender, our 2 starting midfielders, our 70m star striker. Bruno, Trippier, and Almiron were on for 30 minutes. I don't accept it as the reason we lost like, the line up was more than enough to win. Isak and Wood should have scored and we paid the price.

We don’t have the squad to compete in both cups and the league imo.

Not just the quality but most of those barely play any minutes in the league. Lascelles has played something like 20 minutes in 2 months. He’s not going to come in and play to his best level straight away. 

And the back up players that do get regular minutes (Wood, Murphy) are not good enough.    

What was the point in giving Dummett an extension?

The loss could benefit us later in the season. Tuesday is just that bit more important now and the need for better squad depth clearer.

We need to play our best 11 to progress to the latter stages of either cup. All in for Tuesday and use today as ammunition for transfers in key positions. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Anyone travelling daft enough to expect anything other than a significantly altered line-up probably deserves to have the piss taken out of them. Besides, the travelling support have been treated fairly okay this season with 5 wins, 4 draws and 2 defeats. 

Bit harsh on people spending good money to go and watch.

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

It was totally obvious this would happen with that many changes. I'm really pissed off with that starting lineup today. That took the piss out of 4500 fans paying good money today. 

Partly agree but it's not like Eddie picked youngsters or U21s to play. He picked players he thought that could genuinely win us the match. The players that came in, all had PL experience and were no strangers to the squad. Only thing now obvious is that Eddie cannot simply reply on these players anymore than he has previously.

Wood, Murphy, Lewis, Lascelles, Dubravka were my ultimate dissapointment when we relied on them the most. Ritchie and Manquillo I would regard them as doing what was expected of them.

Edited by nufcjb

Just now, Beth said:

Murphy? Ritchie? Anderson is clearly not reay yet either.

If you can name the players you’d start in their place, considering we have a cup quarter final in 3 days, be my guest.

Ritchie played fine, as did Anderson.

Wood, Lewis and Murphy were dogshit though.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not sure about the 'credit to Sheff Wed' posts mind. Their 'keeper aside I thought they were extremely lucky to get a win there.

Given that their first goal was massively offside and would've been ruled out by VAR I'd agree. They got very lucky. 

Edited by Bizza

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Even then, we played our 30m defender, our 2 starting midfielders, our 70m star striker. Bruno, Trippier, and Almiron were on for 30 minutes. I don't accept it as the reason we lost like, the line up was more than enough to win. Isak and Wood should have scored and we paid the price.

Yep, was really similar to Cambridge. Should've progressed but missed our chances and that was that. 

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Get a grip. The starting 11 was absolutely fine, barring Lewis. 

Not sure it was to be honest. We had 3-4 1st team starters today. Ok the team we put out should have still been able to win and would have done if we had VAR or decent officials, however those who got their chance fucking wasted it.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I assume that those advocating for a strong side aren't too arsed about the League Cup quarter final or being fresh for Fulham? You need to rotate at some stage

This. This and more This.

Our squad isn't capable of fighting on 3 fronts yet.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yep, ultimately you’re right like

5 minutes ago, STM said:

I see a few in here can't control their emotions.

We lost because;

1. Howe started a few squad players, which he HAD to otherwise we would have suffered in the league Cup.

2. Poor finishing.

3. An offside decision.

It still doesn't make it acceptable.

29 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

Not disappointed at all if we go out, shows the owners we have absolutely nothing beyond our starting 11 and it’s also a break in a heavy schedule 

Spot on - for me it was a walk down memory lane to a time when we had dubs and lascelles in every week and we were always waiting for the two goals.

i remember when we bought pope and a lot of people (myself included) saying it was an unnecessary purchase.

1 minute ago, nufcjb said:

Partly agree but it's not like Eddie picked youngsters or U21s to play. He picked players he thought that could genuinely win us the match. The players that came in, all had PL experience and were no strangers to the squad. Only thing now obvious is that Eddie cannot simply reply on these players anymore than he has previously.

Wood, Murphy, Lewis, Lascelles, Dubravka were my ultimate dissapointment when we relied on them the most. Ritchie and Manquillo I would regard them as doing what was expected of them.

No excuse we all know those players are not good enough in the first place and to change nearly the entire lineup with those players was a piss take imo. 

Just now, Dancing Brave said:

Fair play to Sheff Wed, they deserved the win.

Eddie gambled with the starting line up but it didn't and never looked like working.

Never mind, League Cup is still up for grabs. 

The need to strengthen the squad is there for all to see. 

Aye full credit to them, they were superb and so was their game plan, god knows what ours was, our pressing game was missing and towards the end we were just rushing everything and hoping something would stick from set pieces. I’m happy for the Geordie lad in their team and the Sheff Wed supporter on here and I really like Darren Moore, who was harshly let go at WBA IMO. It’s good to see a black manager doing well in the game, and let’s be fair, they are a pretty decent sized club with a rich history. I hope they get promotion.