Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

I’d argue that Isak isn’t a natural goalscorer. His stats don’t say that anyway. 1 in 4 at best. Can’t wait for Wilson to get back.

67 goals and 15 assists in 174 games, aged 23, sounds pretty natural to me.

5 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

I’d argue that Isak isn’t a natural goalscorer. His stats don’t say that anyway. 1 in 4 at best. Can’t wait for Wilson to get back.

Maybe not, perhaps those fantastic finishes against Liverpool are still lodged in my mind. He looked decent today I thought. His header was weak though, should have gave us the lead with that, but will wait and see what he produces once he's up and running.

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Worst thing about going out early in the FA Cup is the number of weekends where there's no Newcastle game to watch. At least the League Cup is mostly wid-week.

Only 4th round weekend (28th Jan) will be blank as the 5th round is midweek. 6th round weekend we'll be away at Forest.

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He hasn’t been in his career to date.  He’s a very talented player, but you wouldn’t be relying on him scoring loads of goals. 

Isak scored more league goals in a major division campaign than Wilson ever has just a couple of years ago. Iirc, his first 2 seasons at Sociedad he was averaging a goal or assist every 150 minutes or something (he was often a sub in his first season there, from memory). Was obviously poor last season.

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Isak scored more league goals in a major division campaign than Wilson ever has just a couple of years ago. Iirc, his first 2 seasons at Sociedad he was averaging a goal or assist every 150 minutes or something (he was often a sub in his first season there, from memory). Was obviously poor last season.

He’s an outstanding footballer - I just meant he isn’t an old-fashioned instinctive centre forward

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Only 4th round weekend (28th Jan) will be blank as the 5th round is midweek. 6th round weekend we'll be away at Forest.

That break done us no harm last year, hopefully the same this time. 

18 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Sounds like there was some terrible crowd problems tonight caused by the Leppings Lane tunnel. Not like they've had 30 odd years to do anything about it.

That stand should've been demolished decades ago.

Just now, Dancing Brave said:

Got a shiver down my spine reading that.

Brought back bad memories of Spurs away in the 80s

Same. Some of ours saying they were just herded through the tunnel despite not knowing where to go. Lessons still not learned. Haunting, dangerous stuff.

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

Not sure it was to be honest. We had 3-4 1st team starters today. Ok the team we put out should have still been able to win and would have done if we had VAR or decent officials, however those who got their chance fucking wasted it.

Just to compare - look at Leicesters team away to Gillingham. Only Tielemans & Ayoze from their 1st team started that match. Howes line-up was perfectly fine. Their performance however was not good enough.

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

Not sure it was to be honest. We had 3-4 1st team starters today. Ok the team we put out should have still been able to win and would have done if we had VAR or decent officials, however those who got their chance fucking wasted it.

Our goal also looked well offside to be fair. 

Isak will be brilliant when he's up to speed. I have no doubt about that!

Murphy, Lewis, Wood, Manquillo and Lascelles needs to be replaced. Ritchie aswell even if he can still put a decent ball into the box.

Murphy seems afraid of the ball and any opponent around him. Has no awerness of what's happening around him.

Lewis just isn't good enough for this level.

Wood just can't hit the target! That's the basic for a striker.

Lascelles and Manquillo isn't awfull but doesn't add much on the pitch.

Still think we should have started a strong team to give us a chance of building a lead then changing out. Eddie and co called this one wrong this time for me

Shows everyone we still have a mountain to climb with building a squad.  8 changes made us look like a championship team. 

And fuck this hangover