Anthony Gordon

Jack27

1 hour ago, mouldy_uk said:

Surely people aren’t writing him off already, they’ve seen what Howe has done with Joe and Longstaff?

He’ll come good, but I think he’s fortunate that we are on such a good run that we don’t need him firing on all cylinders yet.

This is a weird argument to me.  

People have suggested he’s not a £40m player and we should have spent the money on someone that is. 

I didn’t think he was particularly talented and I still don’t. He’s shown little in thr way of genuine quality. 

I like him as an impact sub again at tired minds annd legs atm. 

I thought he was ok, initially got the better of Lyeanco on the outside and had a good left foot shot, anlso hit post from Isaks pass.  After initial success he tried to go inside and then out to beat the man and was outmuscled every time. Still work in progress but he wasn’t that bad, just we weren’t clicking as a team and we had a better player in a Wilson to bring on. Think he needs bringing on when we’re already winning and there’s no pressure to build up the confidence.

I think we should be signing players in 1 of 3 groups:

1.  Obviously better first team player that going to come in and push one of our current players to the bench(in a week or 3)

2. Young players who are good enough to be on the bench between now and a year or so.  all going well in 18 months or so they will be fighting for a starting place

3. Young player that go out on load.

I dont want us signings player who are players that are similar level to our current players.  I think Gordon’s issue is that he’s between a 1 & 2 and we played 40 million for him.   

I think if you can forget about the fee and think of him as a 2.  He is doing brilliantly.  

The guy needs time.  He will come good?

A mixed bag today as others have said. Plenty of endeavour and a lot of good runs to get into promising positions, he almost seemed to be the main focus of our forward play for large parts of the first half as a result of that.

However, his decision making was poor, I agree that he didn't seem to be entirely in sync with our patterns of play and was perhaps playing too individually, which may have been a significant factor in his HT substitution. 

Too early to be writing him off for sure but it's not unreasonable to have doubts about whether he has the potential to evolve into a top-four level PL player. 

Edited by Barnes23

Looks short of match fitness and confidence, should have scored. Let’s start judging him next season when he could have a lot more game time. The game completely changed when he came off. Mind you, Isak; sky’s not the limit. 

Think he will benefit from a full pre season with Eddie and team.

I had my worries when we signed him, but while he is wearing black and white he will have my support. 

Right now I think can't fault his commitment, work rate etc. Just end product. 

He’s trying a bit too hard at the moment. You knew when he missed those two chances his head was going to go a little.

It’s a maturity thing. He’s only really been knocking around at this level for a couple of seasons and has had a properly bruising first half to the season. It’ll come with time.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

This is a weird argument to me.  

People have suggested he’s not a £40m player and we should have spent the money on someone that is. 

I didn’t think he was particularly talented and I still don’t. He’s shown little in thr way of genuine quality. 

I like him as an impact sub again at tired minds annd legs atm. 

How can you know yet if he's a £40 million player when he is so young? At his age the fee is not for the player he is right now.

Who on Earth thought Joelinton was a £40 million player when we bought him for example? He's ended up being worth even more than that.

Just relax and let the man settle in. Way too early for making all these calls on the guy.

1 hour ago, loki679 said:

Sold in a year or two.  In five years he'll be one of those 'shit, I forgot he played for us' players.

You people never learn man. It's like you're desperate to make a fool of yourself :lol:

How may players at the club will be written off only to end up embarrassing you lot. Humble yourself.

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

You people never learn man. It's like you're desperate to make a fool of yourself :lol:

How may players at the club will be written off only to end up embarrassing you lot. Humble yourself.

Wish I had your confidence, Kaka! But I hope that all of us negative cunts think the same as me, that I want him to come good but I just cant see it (right now)

You can see that he is desperate to impress, and I think that hurts his decision making. I think we can see the potential is there, and he will come good.

Next season he will have had some time to gel and a full preseason, and he will have much improved performances.

He is just 22 as well!

He's had 3 starts and two of them when the midfield balance has been lost with Longstaff missing. 

Thought the timing of his runs was good and although it ended up becoming too predictable in the end him been willing to go so much on his left was a positive sign. 

6 minutes ago, worthy said:

Wish I had your confidence, Kaka! But I hope that all of us negative cunts think the same as me, that I want him to come good but I just cant see it (right now)

Yeah, I know you can't see it. Like you couldn't see it for any of the other players.

I have no idea how it's going to pan out for him, but I'm certainly not going to write him off after a few months and keep on over reacting to every performance acting as if he's the worst player we've ever seen.

I really don't know what you lot are trying to prove with this kid man. It's ridiculous.

Was lively first half, should feel hard done by coming off but the tactical change made sense so it was him or Murphy. His pace and directness will be great attributes for us and he'll be an integral part of our team Im sure. Had that shot been 6 inches to the right opinions would be less short sighted. 

Writing off a new young singing 3 months in :lol: 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I know you can't see it. Like you couldn't see it for any of the other players.

I have no idea how it's going to pan out for him, but I'm certainly not going to write him off after a few months and keep on over reacting to every performance acting as if he's the worst player we've ever seen.

I really don't know what you lot are trying to prove with this kid man. It's ridiculous.

Sadly a lot of people had made up their minds before he even stepped on the pitch for us 

35 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I mean that is by far fair enough for sure. But I truly hope he makes me look like a utter twat more then I possibly can do myself :lol: