[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

Strangely I feel more confident about this game than before the loss today. I think we showed tremendous spirit when down to 10 men, and with Willock, Wilson and Bruno hopefully coming back in, we'll go into the final with some fire in our belly.

Well at least I’m not nervous about this game now as I fully expect us to get beat. [emoji38]

We are going into this game with roughly the same chance of winning as the 98 and 99 finals. Unfortunately we have lost form at exactly the wrong time and the opposition’s tails are completely up. I make our chances as 35/65 at best, unless Man U lose Rashford and Casemiro to injury this week.

The mancs still have 2 games to play before the final let’s see what shape they’re in after these. Lose Fernandez or Rashford and they don’t look so good.

The big thing for me is getting the defence sorted, though I do think Bruno sitting in front makes a massive difference. I have a feeling we’ll click up front against these and if St Max is rediscovering his Man City form, he’s a potential match winner for us.

1 minute ago, Bizza said:

Karius ffs. Losing Pope is a disaster.

We’re one of the best teams defensively in the league and must/should put in a great defensive performance. So the keeper shouldn’t be THAT important. Hopefully.

34 minutes ago, Collage said:

We’re one of the best teams defensively in the league and must/should put in a great defensive performance. So the keeper shouldn’t be THAT important. Hopefully.

This argument is starting to wear a little IMO. We were wide open defensively today and in the previous 2 games conceded soft goals from corners.

Edited by Dr Venkman

People saying the final has come at the wrong time, form etc will see us lose.

Fucking hell, cups are all about League form being irrelevant. In this League Cup alone you can look at the wins of various teams where League form has meant fuck all. Swansea, Birmingham, Boro, heck Blackburn and Leicester as well.

Fucking hell, Southampton beat Man City to play us in the semi’s.

You could actually say that the League Cup is now due a more unlikely winner on the basis of history/statistics/law of probability.

In the FA Cup we have seen the likes of Wigan and Portsmouth win the final. Both of their wins were against the run of form etc.

I also think a lot of people are over playing Man Utd’s form. Heck they got beat to Arsenal a couple of weeks ago, and were lucky to get a draw at home to Leeds, and beat them a few games later.

Their performances haven’t been all that when people have watched them play. They are not the unbeatable force everyone thinks they are.

Aye I’d rather be playing Nottingham Forest in the final, but if you had offered any of our fans at any point in history the chance to win the cup by playing Man Utd in the final, everyone would take it and be optimistic.

This season we have lost 3 games all season going into the end of February, one of them against Liverpool where 1 goal for us was disallowed despite being ok, and losing by a goal in 98th minute when 5 minutes were added on. Another game where some of our 1st team players were out to be replaced by squad players we know are not good enough, and the 3rd against Liverpool where on another day we would have won, despite being down to 10 men for vast majority of it.

On top of that we have not lost 2 games on the bounce and in games where we have been poor, we have still got a result out of it.

I’m not saying we are going to win, that’s why we play the game, but fuck me, it’s not the straight forward loss everyone else thinks it is.

So go out there, stick £100 on Man Utd to fuck the bookies over incase the worst happens, have hope, and remember, even if the worse does happen, at least we aren’t some Cockney cunt who ‘supports’ Man Utd who couldn’t really actually give a fuck about this game, and we actually live for our club.

Newcastle is our city.

It is where we work, where we, our family, and friends live, it’s where we call home, it’s our lives.

We are Geordies, we give the world the electric light, we give them the steam engine, built them the ships, where the coal for our power stations and even our fires at home came from. We introduced the world to the train. We literally dragged the world out of the fucking cold and the dark and into the modern era.

Newcastle United is who we put forward to represent our great city, and our city is going be a success again, maybe in the 26th February, maybe we might have to wait a bit longer, but we will be a success once again!

Edited by Stifler

32 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

This argument is starting to wear a little IMO. We were wide open defensively today and in the previous 2 games conceded soft goals from corners.

It was the one things I sort of hung my hat on for the final whilst other facets of our game started wearing thin.

Unfortunately that one is starting to wear thin also!

Can only pray we are on it that day.