Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle United

Disco

We've had a couple of big opportunities that have fell to a none composure Longstaff and a badly underperforming Wilson. I'd swap out miggy for maxi burn for Targett and Wilson for isak. 

We could still get something from this. Hoy gordon on the right bit of natural width. 

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

It's concerning how quickly he looks for a safe pass backwards.

He’s finding his feet in a new side and playing Man City away. The confidence to play it forward comes with game time. 

1 minute ago, Holloway said:

Oh,and some of the knee jerk bollocks in here man,wheels falling off etc

Get a fucking grip,man

Just now, Holloway said:

Get a fucking grip,man

Cuoldn't agree more!

Just now, mighty__mag said:

I've not been impressed with Wilson,Gordon, Almiron, basically our so called attack.

Not sure what Eddie's got up his sleeve, we've not been bad, but we could be so much better in the final third.

There never seems like theres much drive when Willock is missing, he's the type who will carry the ball up toward the attack from midfield to get into creative space, it's missing.

Joelinton was doing that for the first 15 minutes and looked a threat.  Agree, Willock would help with the transitions.

the sooner Burn is out of this team, the better. it must be impossible playing as a winger in front of him. it’s a myth he’s a good defender as well, he gets done regularly.

can someone just tell Wilson there’s a last minute World Cup in the summer and Southgate is in the stands watching him? cheers.

1 minute ago, Holloway said:

Get a fucking grip,man

We're doing really well, man. Restricting them to very little while creating two huge chances ourselves.

There are a lot of them out there low on confidence in front of goal. We need one to cannon in off someone's dish/arse and I reckon we'll be right back on it. 

4 minutes ago, HawK said:

For me there's three issues to work on / resolve for second half :

There is no link-up at all between Burn and Gordon. Gordon stays high, Burn plays so deep he's basically on his own byline as he's terrified of being beaten by Foden again. This is creating huge spaces for City to play in when they have the ball, and we have no support for Gordon when we do have the ball. Suggest we resolve by replacing with Targett.

Wilson is being post-World Cup Wilson, easy resolve in bringing on our attacker with the most quality, Isak.

Almiron's not even in the game, and not being mentioned because of other more glaring issues. When he is on the ball, he only cuts inside against Ake who loves him doing this as he can just stand there and watch Almiron play it back. Where has Almiron's confidence gone to try and take a man on and take a shot? Seems to have evaporated since Christmas. Would like to see Maxi on the right to go outside Ake, stretch the pitch, and whip balls in.

Positive points :

Our midfield three, aside from transitions, have largely stopped City playing through the middle very effectively and have looked very good.

Lascelles has looked effective defensively.

Joelinton has looked class.

I recon that big Joe is the only one in our squad who would have any chance of a game for city.

Just now, dcmk said:

Joelinton was doing that for the first 15 minutes and looked a threat.  Agree, Willock would help with the transitions.

He seems more focused on trying to stop city going through the middle. Although DeBruyne is impossible to stop at times, we have kept Gundogan quiet. Usually with Joe and Willock they'll take turns in one going or the other, in the end Bruno carried it all the way up the pitch to Gordon at one stage, for it to end up back with Pope. We need more bravery in attack.

More of the same, really.

Decently in the game and we look organised and able to pass the ball a bit.

The biggest issue for us is that we're a team full of players that don't have a lot of goals in them.

Longstaff and Joelinton are the two most advanced central midfielders but both are very poor in the final third.

We all knew Almiron was in a purple patch earlier this season and it seems like that's very much over now.

Gordon I'm not sure on yet but he didn't exactly score a lot for Everton.

All players that will chip in with a few goals over the course of the season but none of them look like consistent goal threats IMO.

Add to that the fact that Wilson has completely lost it and you have a team that just isn't going to score many goals IMO.

Not played too badly, and might have scored, but we're up against 11 good players. They seem to be beating our press quite easily.

Miggy now looks very predictable - long term we do need an alternative.

Eddie still seems to have concerns about Isak's fitness, but I hope that's sorted soon. Wilson has never been great at holding the ball up, but if his finishing is dodgy now, then he needs to make way.

1 minute ago, NEEJ said:

We're doing really well, man. Restricting them to very little while creating two huge chances ourselves.

There are a lot of them out there low on confidence in front of goal. We need one to cannon in off someone's dish/arse and I reckon we'll be right back on it. 

That's how I saw it as well. Obviously their quality all over the pitch is showing, but our good players don't look out of place, we just don't have enough of them. We should be level really despite their dominance of possession. Their goal was a shit one to concede as well from a defensive POV.

Agree it hasn't been a great watch but we've not been bad! Pope saves that if it wasnt deflected by Botman. In another game, Ake deflects Longstaffs shot into the goal. Just football. 

Wilson is out of form obviously and needs a confidence boost..not sure how he gets that but it's just form. Happens to all players... Again it's football. 

I think Gordon has been coached that side to keep the ball and not try anything too risky so as to maintain possession. We see how quickly man city can go on the counter. So the backwards passes are normal... I mean everyone is doing it. It's just because he's a new signing. Plus confidence..plus first start. 

Go easy on the lads..Lacelles has done very well considering, I'm surprised at how confident he looks. It's nice to see him get a run out. 

Again, agree it's not great watching but against possibly the best team in the league for a few years and the beast that is Haaland, we've done very well to just concede a wonder run and deflected goal by, in my book, a pretty world class player. 

Edited by Lish007

10 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Yeah he's all safe and nicey nice. Literally the opposite of what I expected him to be.

He looks very isolated when he gets the ball in attack, so he doesn't have a lot of choice but to move inside or back. Burn can't offer much support.

Gordon has had no forward options when he’s had the ball. Wilson off for Isak, Miggy off for ASM and swap sides with Gordon.

Bruno ain’t fit which is a concern. Oh, and if ASM does come on then Burn might need to come off as he’ll be even more exposed.