Newcastle United 2-0 Manchester United (02/04/2023)

Disco

Probably been mentioned plenty times already but just watched the highlights and how the fuck was Fernandes kicking Schar's head not reviewed? He literally kicks him flush in the head!

3 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Probably been mentioned plenty times already but just watched the highlights and how the fuck was Fernandes kicking Schar's head not reviewed? He literally kicks him flush in the head!

Anywhere else on the pitch that’s a free kick.

5 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Yeah for some reason that seems to have passed everyone by, but on Reddit a really big deal was made of it. 

7 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Yep even though schar was stooping. Fernandes foot was way above waist level

Great win, great performance and a very hostile atmosphere which no doubt helped the players. 

I'm a little concerned at our lack of composure in front of goal because that could have cost us, and definitely will in other games.

Also if this is going to mean anything we'll have to put it behind us and get in the zone ready for two very difficult away games in the next 6 days.

15 hours ago, nufcjb said:

Does Luke Shaw want a transfer to Newcastle or something?

A few months ago, Sanjay the stats dude on Twitter ran some numbers and they said Luke Shaw was his number one choice for our next LB.

Probably wrong age profile, but he is very good.

23 minutes ago, jack j said:

Yep even though schar was stooping. Fernandes foot was way above waist level

It's a penalty and i was raging for a while. The fact that it was a clear head injury and they were allowed to play on as well was a disgrace. 

Watched it again last night and it was more or less as I experienced it the first time tbh - probably because we were so in control and dominant throughout that there wasn't loads to worry about beyond our own missed chances. 

Trippier was outstanding man, everything he did was more or less perfect. He is a seriously special player - Maybe calling his style British or English isn't quite right, but he has a part of his game that I remember Shearer or even Lampard having, where he doesn't look like he's doing anything fancy, but he does what look like the basics to the absolute highest level. The greatest RB this club has had in my lifetime, no contest. 

ASM wasn't far off and should have had a hattrick of assists - watching it the first time I kept thinking he should mix it up a bit and take Darlot down the outside, but nah, every time he was going inside he was either putting it on a plate for someone, or playing someone into a great position having dragged a Man United player out of position. His decision making was excellent and his header back is underrated as well, he had to get that spot on and his execution was flawless. 

Not a negative, but no idea how Bruno got MOTM tbh - what he did on the ball was great, but he was quite quiet compared to the other contenders on second viewing and would be behind Trippier, ASM, Schar, Willock, Botman, Isak as MOTM for me. What a brilliant position to be in though - Bruno puts in probably around an 8/10 performance and I'm sat here thinking there are 6 players who deserve the MOTM award ahead of him. 

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

FWIW, I thought Martinez was incredible. I don’t want to like him. Yet every game I see him. He seems to impress me more and more. Shame

about the rest of your gutless fucks on the day. 

The Martinez block from the Longstaff scuffed shot from the Isak knockdown probably stopped a goal. If we score that early in the game, I think they get a real hiding, five or six nil.

De Gea wouldn't be set up to stop a mishit ball from that range, so I reckon its heading into the net.

9 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Loved hearing Gary Neville acknowledging that the real Bruno (he may not have called him that…) was by far the best midfield player on the pitch. 

I wouldn't say "by far". It wasn't like he took over the game by himself. All 3 of ours overran Man U for pretty much 90 minutes straight.. Willock in particular was right up there. 

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

He thinks he's smart but he's stupid...probably.

Got McClaren written all over those subs. 

After 80 minutes of seeing his high level team bullied all over SJP, all that was left was asking for Shteve’s tactical input. Might of worked in the Dutch league.

Surprising to see such a high level manager reduced to desperate measures.