Newcastle United vs. Southampton: 30/04/23 @ 14:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

I could have done it from the start of January when our position was far worse, but Southampton won a few games around that time, but it's crazy going back to Feb 25th, so only 14 months ago, and seeing where the teams were in the league, and where they are now:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/premier-league/25-february-2022/

We jhad picked up a bit, just outside the relegation zone, but still with a shocking GD and a chance to fall back into the bottom 3 if Burnley won their game in hand. Southampton were in the top half, 35 points, had only lost 7 games, and an outside chance of Europa League / Conference football.

Fast forward 14 months and the respective league records are:

Newcastle: P46 W26 D11 L9 PTS 89

Southampton:  P45 W7 D8 L30 PTS 29

One couldn't have gone much better from that position, the other couldn't have gone much worse.

Chris Sutton:

"The position Saints are in, I was expecting them to play with desperation and throw everything they could at Bournemouth. Instead, they looked like a team who had already been relegated. How on earth they got a point against Arsenal last week, I really don't know.

"Newcastle, meanwhile, are just absolutely flying. They have everything they need to finish the season strongly and secure a top-four finish - I think they will wipe the floor with Southampton for starters."

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

What's the record for most goals scored in 3 consecutive game in the Premier league?

If for example we score another 5/6 would that be a record? 

I don't know, but Man City beat Liverpool, Watford and Palace 5-0, 6-0 and 5-0 respectively in consecutive league games in 2017-18. 

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

I don't know, but Man City beat Liverpool, Watford and Palace 5-0, 6-0 and 5-0 respectively in consecutive league games in 2017-18. 

Just had a quick Google and I'm struggling to find anything. 

So that's 16 in 3 games, meaning if that is the record we'd need 6 on Sunday to match it.

25 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Have a feeling Longstaff will miss this one. Can’t see him recovering in time. Any word on JWP for them? Heard he was ill.

Might see a midfield 3 of, Bruno and the 2 joes with Isak outside left 

Having a quick browse of their games (back to December’ish) and they aren’t getting smashed by other teams, just losing by a single goal a lot of the time. I realise that’s  enough to put you rock bottom but they are scoring, teams are just pipping them to 3 points

Must a frustrating season for their fans.

Edited by JUICE690

3 minutes ago, JUICE690 said:

Having a quick browse of their games (back to December’ish) and they aren’t getting smashed by other teams, just losing by a single goal a lot of the time. I realise that’s  enough to put you rock bottom but they are scoring, teams are just pipping them to 3 point.

Must a frustrating season for their fans.

That’s quite surprising considering anytime I’ve seen them they have been shocking, and they have the 3rd worse GD in the league.

Edited by Stifler

My favourite Southampton memory was of sitting in the pub with a couple of their fans recounting their horrific drive up. Then the game being called off about an hour before KO because of snow.

Dell. 84-85 I think. They won 1-0, David Armstrong with a late-ish goal. The width of the Tyne offside. Never liked them since, and that's before the big-nosed fella scored his annual worldies against us.

47 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Won 5 of the last 6, averaging 2.5 goals a game.

I’ve just looked, we’ve got a pretty good record against them ?. I’ve got distinct memories of some important draws or defeats when by rights we should have stuffed them. Sure Le Tiss scored a cracker up here.