Newcastle United vs. Southampton: 30/04/23 @ 14:00 (No UK TV)

HaydnNUFC

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I’ve just looked, we’ve got a pretty good record against them ?. I’ve got distinct memories of some important draws or defeats when by rights we should have stuffed them. Sure Le Tiss scored a cracker up here.

In the PL, they've only beaten us 3 times at SJP. 1994, 1997 and 2015. We've beaten them 14 times. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

When going through the highlights of past games against them for the OP I completely forgot about last season's game against them in August 2021. Performance was utterly vile and the SJP crowd finally was able to turn on Bruce given the behind closed doors games of the previous season. Somehow found ourselves 2-1 up in the 90th minute before we conceded a 96th minute pen which they scored. Heady days. :lol: :anguish:

I must admit the nerves are kicking back in for tomorrow. Not because of a worry about our ability vs theirs. I’m just worried that there might be an element of complacency from the crowd… if the crowd isn’t bouncing early on that sometimes finds its way down to the players. Fingers crossed for another fast start.

1 minute ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I must admit the nerves are kicking back in for tomorrow. Not because of a worry about our ability vs theirs. I’m just worried that there might be an element of complacency from the crowd… if the crowd isn’t bouncing early on that sometimes finds its way down to the players. Fingers crossed for another fast start.

Sure Wor flags will help and the ground will be rocking again. I don’t take it for granted, but if we are on it,Southampton will loose. If we get the bit between our teeth it could be carnage for them :indi:

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Sunday 2PM agsinst non-top six opposition. I wouldn't hold your breath.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

With a top 4 spot within reach, how could complacency be even possible?

5 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Same. These went away to Arsenal scored 3 goals and came away with a point.

9 times out of 10 we win this game but that 1 out of 10 keeps popping into my head. 

An early goal would be huge for us and a massive blow for them. 

1 minute ago, McDog said:

With a top 4 spot within reach, how could complacency be even possible?

Exactly. We'll have a whole squad of players champing at the bit tomorrow. We will fuck them up one way or another.

I used to look at the match day weather forecast in the hope it would be horrendous and make a mess of the match and even things out a bit. Now I'm pissed off the weather looks crap at around match time.

That game in 1994, after what Le-Tissier did in the away game, was nervous everytime he was anywhere near the ball.

Didn't matter how we played, what was to stop him megging a couple players and wellying it in from 30yards.

Could tell the players felt the same way leading up to the free-kick winner.

A win would be like the week of Leeds away, Arsenal away then Boro at home wins over Christmas under Sir Bobby, we've got a bank holiday instead...plus the weather is just the same

Edited by Jonas

8 hours ago, Rafalove said:

Somehow completely forgot this goal existed.

i'm sure he ran back from an offside position, and there was no flick on, ball went straight to him.

as someone said earlier VAR would have cancelled this beauty.

Despite the Big Joe, Little Joe, left side combo being one of our strongest areas I’d be tempted to start Gordon in this to give Joelinton a rest - we’re going to need him in the run in and if he’s carry a hamstring issue surely it’s be better to rest him. 

I think we’ll scrape a nervy win today 

2-1 

5 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Despite the Big Joe, Little Joe, left side combo being one of our strongest areas I’d be tempted to start Gordon in this to give Joelinton a rest - we’re going to need him in the run in and if he’s carry a hamstring issue surely it’s be better to rest him. 

2-1 

He’s carrying a hamstring issue?

11 minutes ago, St1pe said:

2-1 

Yeah, somehow I think the time is right for Gordon to step up. 

Very much assuming Murphy is back in Isak.

Don't think it's necessary but tempting to have both Wilson and Isak start today... Could run up a cricket score.

Like any game in the PL if you’re off it you can get beat. These have some decent players Alcaraz, Ward Prowse and Lavia in midfield. They we’re decent in LCSF up here for long periods in 2nd half, could be tricky if we’re not on it from the off.

Edited by Whitley mag