Newcastle United 4-1 Brighton & Hove Albion (18/05/2023)

Yorkie

Just now, TK-421 said:

My boss is a Brighton fa and was at the match in the away section last nigth. Says their fans didn't take well to Burn celebrating the way he did after his goal. ;D

Nah they started booing him after that ?

3 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

My boss is a Brighton fan and was at the match in the away section last night. Says their fans didn't take well to Burn celebrating the way he did after his goal. 

Oh, shame. ;D

Like I said last night, fuck this "holding your hands up" shite, especially as is in Burn's case he's signed for the club he supported as a lad.

Edited by Sima

8 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

My boss is a Brighton fan and was at the match in the away section last night. Says their fans didn't take well to Burn celebrating the way he did after his goal. 

Oh, shame. ;D

I mean he was always gonna celebrate ffs, scored one of the most important goals in our recent history. 

Only time I think you shouldn’t is if it’s a really bad goal for your former team (ie you are relegating them and your goal isn’t decisive) other than that fill your boots.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Who was playing Wilson on for his goal btw?

Van Hecke, it looked very close & surprised there wasn't much of a VAR delay on it.

3 minutes ago, KDT said:

Van Hecke, it looked very close & surprised there wasn't much of a VAR delay on it.

Aye at the time and from where we were sat, he looked off, but then there didn;t seem to be a VAR check delay, and nothing came up on the screen to say VAR checking (as it did for Undav's goal).

Watching it back on highlights, he's 'just' on as its played, then van hecke drops back to try and catch him offside, but its too late and Callums away.

Sky highlights didn't show the other chance he had a t 4-1, but from memory it was simialr to his first, but steele managed to smother the shot?

Edited by TK-421

Just now, TK-421 said:

Aye at the time and from where we were sat, he looked off, but then there didn;t seem to be a VAR check delay, and nothing came up on the screen to say VAr checking.

Watching it back on highlights, he's 'just' on as its played, then van hecke drops back to try and catch him offside, but its too late and Callums away.

Sky highlights didn't show the other chance he had a t 4-1, but from memory it was simialr to his first, but steele managed to smother the shot?

They did the replay on the level seven screen straight away and you could see he was on.

Just now, TK-421 said:

Aye at the time and from where we were sat, he looked off, but then there didn;t seem to be a VAR check delay, and nothing came up on the screen to say VAr checking.

Yeah pretty much, it looked like he was caught in two minds a bit. He tried to feint/dummy slightly and slip it past Steele but just got it wrong.

2 minutes ago, 1964 said:

After they scored I think we defended a bit more like we did earlier in the season, we looked solid and they created very little 

Was similar to last season against them too. They had a lot of the ball but never really created anything, despite me feeling nervous as fuck. :lol:

Did anyone spot Anderson's (I think) little shoulder barge at the start of the wilson goal build up.  Just stopped the Brighton players momentum so he could chase Almiron and double up on him.

Small thing but actually significant 

3 minutes ago, 1964 said:

Did anyone spot Anderson's (I think) little shoulder barge at the start of the wilson goal build up.  Just stopped the Brighton players momentum so he could chase Almiron and double up on him.

Small thing but actually significant 

Yeah I saw that. Was canny. 

19 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Aye at the time and from where we were sat, he looked off, but then there didn;t seem to be a VAR check delay, and nothing came up on the screen to say VAR checking (as it did for Undav's goal).

I was so convinced it was offside and going to be ruled out by VAR I didn't celebrate, I thought 'I'll wait for the VAR check' but it didn't happen just an odd gradual realisation that it wasn't going to be ruled off [emoji38]

I got to celebrate properly not long after though :indi:

24 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Wanna hear a wild stat? From minute 76 to end of game we have scored 10 home league goals and conceded none. Wow. 

Another one from last night for any xG nerds out there:

Newcastle 4.11 (4) - (1) 0.59 Brighton

We've done that to so many teams this season. Deserve top 4

Edited by JP

2 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

The pressing in that first half was unreal like.

I was astounded they kept repeatedly trying to play out short from goal kicks. Kept getting caught every time. Lost the ball over and over in dangerous positions but didn't see fit to change it up. 

Thought we were excellent all over the pitch. Poor for our goal and we really really need to make more of our chances. Almiron was great but I wish he'd regain some of that composure from earlier in the season. 

Well deserved.

To be honest, what is the alternative with that team? Kick it long when there is Burn, Schär and Botman winning headers? They are playing from the back nicely, but the they really missed MacAllister and Caicedo in the middle, and we were relentless with the press. That Brighton team is not very good, it had Undav and Welbeck up top ffs. 

You know what you get with De Zerbi, like you know Big Sam has his team kicking it long all the time, no matter how wise it is.

1 minute ago, Jackie Broon said:

I was so convinced it was offside and going to be ruled out by VAR I didn't celebrate, I thought 'I'll wait for the VAR check' but it didn't happen just an odd gradual realisation that it wasn't going to be ruled off [emoji38]

I got to celebrate properly not long after though :indi:

Glad I wasn't the only one [emoji38]

He looked miles off and because there was a (relatively) long period of time between him breaking through and scoring the goal, I had convinced myself it was going to be disallowed and that the linesman would be flag-up as soon as it hit the net.

It's so impressive how far and how fast Anderson has come on.

I was thinking he needed another loan season before being in the squad, but he's become a real valuable member of it now as a sub. Might even need to start the next match depending on injuries etc.

1 minute ago, Abacus said:

It's so impressive how far and how fast Anderson has come on.

I was thinking he needed another loan season before being in the squad, but he's become a real valuable member of it now as a sub. Might even need to start the next match depending on injuries etc.

He’s a confident lad too!