Tino Livramento

Yorkie

4 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Usual highlight reel disclaimer, but he looks very good. Presumably he goes down as a "U21" for the squad. Only 1.73m, so the new Fraser to Dan Burn.

Lots of ballwinning and bursting forward in central and advanced positions in that video, so definitely wing back capable. He looks like a midfielder in some of the clips.

Ia actually thought he seemed quite tall on that vid ?

He's 6'1"

Edited by Magpie

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

Like Gordon we have a list of targets and when they come available, sometimes ahead of scheduled time due to circumstance we get them.

Gordon was for this season but Everton needed the cash for FFP and cash flow etc due to ownership issues so we pounced at the price. Livramento was probably for next season but Southampton relegated so have grabbed him now. With his injury and position we can ease him in gently which will suite us both.

Tonali was our number 1 target for this window and we’ve got him this window. 

Like Liverpool’s approach the plan is to get THE player we want. Rather than in the order we need necessarily at times.

Trust the process.

Livramento could’ve easily cost 20-30m more if they’d stayed up and he’d played another season. 

Man City regularly drop £50-60m+ on defenders, especially fullbacks.  

3 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He's scored 2 goals in 2023, and went February 2021–April 2022 without scoring or assisting a goal. There's nothing to suggest that from his 4 and a half years here that that goalscoring run from October-November last season wasn't a purple patch.

And I don't want him sold btw. He's a good option for the squad given the volume of games. But our options there are only Almiron and Murphy unless you count Gordon towards it.

I get the hesitation to back Miggy to get into double figures again this season, but it's not beyond the realms of possiblilty. He does get into goal scoring position, and I don't think it was luck he was getting goals, I attribute a lot of his form down to Howe pushing him to get more goals. He might not score a dozen goals, but he could easily score 8-9.

Just now, TRon said:

I get the hesitation to back Miggy to get into double figures again this season, but it's not beyond the realms of possiblilty. He does get into goal scoring position, and I don't think it was luck he was getting goals, I attribute a lot of his form down to Howe pushing him to get more goals. He might not score a dozen goals, but he could easily score 8-9.

And I sincerely hope he does.

8 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Makes you wonder why we signed Ashby though? If he wasn't to be Trippier's understudy/backup, why did we sign him? We still have Manquillo and Krafth on the books as well and although they aren't great, Krafth deputised for Trippier brilliantly after he got injured in 2021-22. ACL this season scuppered his minutes. 

Yeah, the Ashby thing is strange, but maybe he just wasn't as far along (or as good) as they thought when he arrived. Kraft did do well, but there was still a bit of nervous apprehension when he played, and kind of more a relief that he wasn't actually bad, rather than someone who you would want to start a significant number of games, now as an established top half club pushing on, plus while they are in a similar boat in terms of injury, you might be more concerned about how a 28 year old kind of journeyman comes back than a young prospect, although definite risks to both.

29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It is fairly horrific like. Many players don’t return to their best after one. 

Yes it’s not always straightforward but I would say those cases are fewer than the majority. Loads of players recover to full fitness and potential thesedays. The club clearly aren’t that concerned judging by the price. I’d say a mensical repair can be more iffy. Granted ever transfer carries a risk. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Sure, but he can also close down 3 players at once in one of the best pressing sides we’ve ever seen. 

True and he'll have his role in games where we do that.

But when some sides come to SJP, even away from SJP tbh, and allow us 65%+ possession of the ball which will happen more frequently, the history suggests he'll offer little towards breaking them down.

8 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Yeah, the Ashby thing is strange, but maybe he just wasn't as far along (or as good) as they thought when he arrived. Kraft did do well, but there was still a bit of nervous apprehension when he played, and kind of more a relief that he wasn't actually bad, rather than someone who you would want to start a significant number of games, now as an established top half club pushing on, plus while they are in a similar boat in terms of injury, you might be more concerned about how a 28 year old kind of journeyman comes back than a young prospect, although definite risks to both.

I think a bit of that, a bit of him being cheap and solid cover for Trippier in the short term, and a bit of us progressing faster than we thought we would.  Right back is probably the most important position in the tactics we use so we need exceptional cover now that we are playing more games this season

Edited by simonsays

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

True and he'll have his role in games where we do that.

But when some sides come to SJP, even away from SJP tbh, and allow us 65%+ possession of the ball which will happen more frequently, the history suggests he'll offer little towards breaking them down.

Looking back at those games last season when we struggled against Leeds/Bournemouth/Palace etc, it wasn't breaking teams down we actually had a problem with, it was putting the fucking chances away. We had so many chances in those games and just didn't take them, that's the big difference. 

17 minutes ago, FLUMPO235 said:

Great together another player through the door. Jesus, how far we have come.

although I would hope the Saudis can pay privately (outside of ffp) to have trippier on a new diet to extend his career:

breakfast - stem cells

elevenses - stem cells 

lunch - stems cells

You get the idea. 

Sounds like we should get Tino on them early doors too. 

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Looking back at those games last season when we struggled against Leeds/Bournemouth/Palace etc, it wasn't breaking teams down we actually had a problem with, it was putting the fucking chances away. We had so many chances in those games and just didn't take them, that's the big difference. 

And he had his fair share of those chances missed.

Then again, both games against Bournemouth, the away game at Leeds, Palace away are games from the top of my head where we struggled to create chances from open play and/or didn't work the keeper often.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

This £75M budget is being stretched a bit mind.

To be fair we've probably spent about that net once you deduct £40-45m for Wood and ASM...

Edited by ponsaelius

42 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Makes you wonder why we signed Ashby though? If he wasn't to be Trippier's understudy/backup, why did we sign him? We still have Manquillo and Krafth on the books as well and although they aren't great, Krafth deputised for Trippier brilliantly after he got injured in 2021-22. ACL this season scuppered his minutes. 

a good season at Swansea and he will be worth a fair bit

48 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yes it’s not always straightforward but I would say those cases are fewer than the majority. Loads of players recover to full fitness and potential thesedays. The club clearly aren’t that concerned judging by the price. I’d say a mensical repair can be more iffy. Granted ever transfer carries a risk. 

Exactly. The idea that ACL tears are terribly horrific mostly unrecoverable once again is just not true. It was  in 1986, but not now. When I got mine in 1998, near full recovery rates were quite high, assuming it was just a straight ACL tear.

A few are just relentlessly looking for anything.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls