Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

28 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Also how are you not starting our best forward in Isak in that lineup?!

Not how I’d start but what I reckon it’ll be. Wilson was class against them at home last season. 
—-

We need a new bewww boy and Almiron is the most likely to be it given his previous and position. It’s a shite joke that I will be perusing from different angles as the season goes on. 

1 minute ago, Disco said:

Not how I’d start but what I reckon it’ll be. Wilson was class against them at home last season. 
—-

We need a new bewww boy and Almiron is the most likely to be it given his previous and position. It’s a shite joke that I will be perusing from different angles as the season goes on. 

The whole team was tbf, especially 2nd half. But that was against a Villa side with a caretaker in charge. If they play with a high line I think Isak would be the better fit given his pace compared with Wilson's. Plus he's our future through the middle. Love Callum but Isak should be starting most of our games in the striker spot. 

Thought it'd be Gordon tbh. Especially if he doesn't hit the ground running this season.

I think Gordon will start instead of Barnes purely down to Barnes not having as much time to be drilled in our ways yet.

I'm torn between Wilson and Isak for this game and won't be miffed either way.

27 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

The whole team was tbf, especially 2nd half. But that was against a Villa side with a caretaker in charge. If they play with a high line I think Isak would be the better fit given his pace compared with Wilson's. Plus he's our future through the middle. Love Callum but Isak should be starting most of our games in the striker spot. 

Thought it'd be Gordon tbh. Especially if he doesn't hit the ground running this season.

I dunno I just feel like Howe likes stuff like that. See Wilson at West Ham out the blue. I’d be absolutely flabbergasted if they went mad high like they did in preseason but I do agree. As madras says I’m not too bothered either way. Getting the midfield shape and pressing right will be the key. 

I’ll be shitting bricks come 5:30 either way.

I know it’s horses for courses as a PFM would say but if I was Isak I would be extremely unhappy about Callum Wilson getting the nod over me for the season opener. He’s too talented to sit on the bench unless there’s a very good reason for it - ie necessary squad rotation during CL weeks. 

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I know it’s horses for courses as a PFM would say but if I was Isak I would be extremely unhappy about Callum Wilson getting the nod over me for the season opener. He’s too talented to sit on the bench unless there’s a very good reason for it - ie necessary squad rotation during CL weeks. 

Fair comment and I’d start him too and in Yewrup with Wilson doing PL games thereabouts depending on who we draw. 

55 minutes ago, madras said:

I think Gordon will start instead of Barnes purely down to Barnes not having as much time to be drilled in our ways yet.

I'm torn between Wilson and Isak for this game and won't be miffed either way.

Barnes finishing is so much better than Gordon it would be a mistake to not pick him 

For me it has to be Barnes, Isak, Miggy as the front three 

5 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

They’re one of the teams who can hurt us with pace. Could see Trippier on the bench.

Murphy has looked extremely strong and fit all pre season. Howe rates him and rightly so

We're not starting Murphy right-back over Trippier or someone we've just paid £35m for like. 

Not sure why Longstaff should be an automatic starter this year. He has barly played this pre season while other has and excelled. We have a bigger and better squad this year than that he should just walk right in.

Gordon, Wilson, Miggy for me. Wilson has bullied Mings quite regularly when we’ve played them - assuming Mings starts. 

It’s going to be a really hard game. I don’t think any team outplayed us quite as badly as Villa last season. Diaby looks a problem too. 

1 minute ago, St1pe said:

Gordon, Wilson, Miggy for me. Wilson has bullied Mings quite regularly when we’ve played them - assuming Mings starts. 

It’s going to be a really hard game. I don’t think any team outplayed us quite as badly as Villa last season. Diaby looks a problem too. 

Villa will be a really tuff test. But cant help to feel that the game last season at their place and the talk before this season are a little bit excessively. For this game though, the home advantage will be huge for us.

Isak starts for me every time. And I really hope to see Barnes a lot too tonight. To boost Gordons confidence after a really good summer I would problably start him, aswell as Anderson. Hard work should pay off!

Rethinking this.

Howe will start Gordon and Anderson because they worked their asses off over the break. 

--------------Pope---------------

Trippier -- Schär -- Botman -- Burn

Anderson------Bruno-----Joelinton

Miggy----------Isak--------Gordon

Bringing Wilson, Tonali, Barnes, or Longstaff as needed.

Options

Edited by gazza ladra
Ack

6 hours ago, Disco said:

—-

To be fair, it’s much better than the Mexican craic 🤷‍♂️

38 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Rethinking this.

Howe will start Gordon and Anderson because they worked their asses off over the break. 

--------------Pope---------------

Trippier -- Schär -- Botman -- Burn

Anderson------Bruno-----Joelinton

Miggy----------Isak--------Gordon

Bringing Wilson, Tonali, Barnes, or Longstaff as needed.

Options

Yep I think it’ll be this starting lineup too