Newcastle United 1-0 Manchester City (27/09/23)

Disco

Just back in from the game. Class that second half.

Two big takeaways.

- This forums opinions of Tonali’s performance is weird. He was sub standard first half, but second half he was involved in everything good we did.

- What is Jack Grealish? Seriously… every single time I watch him play I’m just more and more baffled about what people see in him. Gets the ball, dribbles a bit, cuts inside, passes it to a CM. Repeat. Just a nothing player. All of his good, exciting qualities, gone ?‍♂️

Grealish is a good player. He does exactly what Pep tells him to which ofcourse makes him less of a maverick (Pardism) bit like when Mourinho got hold of Joe Cole or Ferguson with Rooney. 

Seen him have excellent games for City and I think that style of play that looks so boring and repetitive is exactly what Pep wants from them because he's looking at the bigger picture. But it's still boring to watch fro a spectator perspective. 

Think he was returning from a injury lay off tonight aswell.....Christ I sound like a Grealish fanboy here and normally infant stand the cunt.

No doubts Livra had him in his pocket though. Nice to have a full back with pace for a change.  

Just watched the second half, probably not gonna bother with the first as it seems all we did was defending, some take aways.

Bruno was fucking magnificent. Absolutely bossed the midfield, back to his very very best out there tonight.

The incredible work from the front three tonight was a joy to watch. Extra credit to Murphy who played the full 90 minutes, but all three (or four including Isak for his spell in it) were incredible. Any time there was even a sniff of the ball, they would bust a gut to get there, even after 90+ minutes. 

Livramento is some guy, up until Doku took him on a couple of times, he looked unbeatable. That tackle for the Nunes chance was brilliant as well. Extra plus points for the Swedish commentator mistaking him for Tonali, even after Tonali came off :lol:

Fair fucking play to Dummett and Lascelles, neither ever panicked in possession and just dealt with everything that was thrown at them.

Nick Pope, I love you, but can't be putting goal kicks out for throw ins to them around the half way line in stoppage time mate :lol:

1 hour ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Two big takeaways.

- This forums opinions of Tonali’s performance is weird. He was sub standard first half, but second half he was involved in everything good we did.

- What is Jack Grealish? Seriously… every single time I watch him play I’m just more and more baffled about what people see in him. Gets the ball, dribbles a bit, cuts inside, passes it to a CM. Repeat. Just a nothing player. All of his good, exciting qualities, gone ?‍♂️

I think the opinion of Tonali was largely based on the first half. He was very bad.

5 hours ago, alexf said:

Grealish is a good player. He does exactly what Pep tells him to which ofcourse makes him less of a maverick (Pardism) bit like when Mourinho got hold of Joe Cole or Ferguson with Rooney. 

This is exactly it. He seems to have instructions to draw 2 players onto him to create space inside. He did it every single time.

Would take more issue with Pep's instructions than Grealish.

7 hours ago, Beren said:

Disagree. We had a particularly strong spell for 15 minutes after half time, but we were subsequently confident on the ball and still a threat throughout. They knew we were there.

You can't call that a spell IMO.  The Etihad was 90 minutes of today's first half. It was a different performance completely.

It's fine to disagree!

I just think there were more similarities with game at the Etihad than differences, and that the difference in results lay at the margins (+ weaker City team yesterday) and in a short spell where we were dominant and got the all-important goal. My main concern is that folk (including people who should know better like Craig Hope) were overcritical of the Etihad performance, and this started a lot of negativity that was doubled by Liverpool fluking a win at SJP and then the "everything that could go wrong...." type day at Brighton.

6 hours ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Two big takeaways.

Grealish is doing what Pep tells him to do. He comes across as the sort of player who'd thrive under a "ah dernt do tactics" type where he's allowed to lose the ball once or twice as long as he's trying to skin the fullback. Great player with excellent control of the football at all times, I just wish he wouldn't look for the foul every time.

Wish refs would pull up their tactical fouling more. Its a big part of their game plan. They dominate the ball, then as soon as you win it back and look to break, there's a foul. They're able to regroup from the free kick and possession is up for grabs again, which they win and you're back on the merry go round. Winning a free kick in your own half allows them to get back into position and provides us with absolutely no advantage in comparison to the position you were in. 

Its never punished with more than a free kick which serves them and not us. Grealish got away with two and never came close to a booking. Persistent fouling should be totted up against the team as opposed to the player. 

When I saw the teams last night I did lose all hope, but it really shines through that Howe and the coaching staff work on the whole squad regardless of whether it is the star player or the 25th man.

put it to context, the only other manager who was able to dig deep into the back end of the squad and get the required performance was Sir Bobby.