Newcastle United 0-1 Borussia Dortmund (25/10/23)

Yorkie

Have the wingers ie; Gordon/Miggy been instructed to cut in from the wing and go through the centre? Miggy has done it a fair bit, and Gordon on numerous occasions leading to their goal. If it has been part of the plan, that might explain the lack of cover when they've got forward, not a fan of it at all, prefer Miggy working with Trippier on the wing overlap and supporting each other.

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Better side deservedly ahead, Isak going off took the fizz out of us

Worth remembering who we’re playing against, too - Dortmund was always likely to be the hardest game.  PSG aren’t any great shakes 

I know they were at home but psg beat dortmund 2 - 0. It seems this group is going to be very tight.

2 minutes ago, simonsays said:

I think we've been alright, they have just been better.  Easy to forget this is the champions league against one of the best teams in Europe.

Well said.  A voice of reason amongst all this angst.

They're smart and good in possession, they pass the ball well and are cutting through the press too easily. This is another lesson about how to deal with different opposition and ways of playing and we need to either change it at HT to deal with it or get smarter pressing beyong the ball. We've been caught out by a single pass too many times that half, fucking learn from it

5 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Fans online complaining about the support of fans in the ground always feels a bit ridiculous to me

I mean it’s not as if tickets are easily available.

Edited by Rafalove

3 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Fans online complaining about the support of fans in the ground always feels a bit ridiculous to me

"Fans online" [emoji38] 

So anyone who couldn't get a ticket can't criticize the ones who did? It's been pitiful man.

We're not crap, we're playing a good team that aren't intimated by the atmosphere (unlike PSG), gameplan likely affected by the injury to Isak and despite what the commentators have remarked, we could very much do with Botman on the pitch. It's been an open game and they've taken their chance.

This is the quality at rhis level,they looked dangerous going forward from the start,as did PSG. Everything went our way in that game,we're not romping the group. Having said that I expect a surge from us 2nd half,we can pull it back

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

Have the wingers ie; Gordon/Miggy been instructed to cut in from the wing and go through the centre? Miggy has done it a fair bit, and Gordon on numerous occasions leading to their goal. If it has been part of the plan, that might explain the lack of cover when they've got forward, not a fan of it at all, prefer Miggy working with Trippier on the wing overlap and supporting each other.

Tbf, with his lack of a right foot, he can only really cut in.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

What the fuck is this? Nobody's complaining. We're just analysing the first half and trying to work out where w can be better.

Sometimes its seems its not allowed to talk about the game when we are behind :lol:. Mental sometimes.

Feel like Longstaff has possibly been playing a bit high up. Maybe drop him back a bit for some more control and focus on getting our crosses in from the right to the far post where we’ve regularly had Wilson and Joelinton man to man with them in the box.

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

What the fuck is this? Nobody's complaining. We're just analysing the first half and trying to work out where w can be better.

This. All I've seen are posts from fans that are a little disappointed but just trying discussing the first half. Can't stand when certain fans look for ways to cut down other fans for showing any emotion.

3 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

They seem to have scouted that when we lose the ball there is acres of spaces behind Trippier. Sadly Lascelles is there and he is not very good 1v1 defender.

Yup, everything they've done has come in that space.

9 minutes ago, Smal said:

ref’s been all over the place like. Definite pen for us, Gordon clearly had his shirt pulled before he was tackled for their goal and he just played on anyway, and then blowing his whistle for half time when Dortmund had a pretty good chance.

Glad it’s not just English refs who are shite.

No way was it a pen tbh, Almiron fell over before he was touched