Newcastle United 1-2 AC Milan (13/12/23)

Yorkie

Was going so well.

Unfortunately we lacked what's needed to finish sides off, they had a much, much better game plan second half, our subs seemed poor, the lads that started seemed hungrier, Gordon was running things on the left, when Isak came on nothing happened. I understand the subs probably needed making, but the same energy wasn't there at all from the players that came on.

Surprised Schar is getting the blame like, he's been praised for those runs all season. The issue was Bruno and Isak letting their midfielder walk through them, absolutely has to be a tactical foul there, guarantee Howe will bollock them for that. 

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

Does it all the time and gets away with it, but he’s scored 2 great goal out of the amount of times he’s went forward and left us short.

The opposition don’t usually have four forwards on, and need to win to stay in Europe.  It was amateur stuff

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

So irresponsible Schar just throwing away Europe altogether. Could have been competitive in the Europa league.

what do you mean? You rather sit back and go to Europe than actually go for it? I believe we could’ve been cooler as Milan were going to throw more men forward, but we can’t fault Schär for that.

Good effort from the team.

Naive in many ways, but it was a free hit. Just have to use it as a learning experience and move on.

They will rightly reflect on how they could have done better. Quite surprised at how open they left themselves. Not sure if there was a directive to go for Champions League or nothing, because it looked that way. A lot of kamikaze defending, which has been a feature of Newcastle defending for a while.

Giroud had some fantastic centre forward play. Cracking for his age.

The squad needs to strengthen. Hopefully in January. Would love a centre forward who can take on a defender and win.

Decent effort but not to be. Would have been Europa but for the PSG pen.

We let Milan back into it with poor defending for their first goal. It came out of the blue and was hardly deserved. Once it was 1-1, pushing for a winner would always leave us exposed, and so it proved.

Just now, TRon said:

Schar was just being Schar, I think at 1-0 up maybe we didn't need to play such an open game considering it was Milan who needed to chase the game.

Nothing wrong with his run but he has to do what he usually does there and shoot!

If it flies over then he can get back into position. That one two with Isak and continuing his run into the box is bloody ridiculous.

I dearly hope there's no undue slack leveled at anyone on the playing or coaching staff because although they've been naive at times, it was a brutal group and we've been competitive throughout. Not to mention we go through if it wasn't for that objectively scandalous decision in Paris.

1 minute ago, SiLvOR said:

Was Trippier injured? If not, it makes absolutely no sense especially with him being suspended for the weekend. Oh well. We'll be back, and it won't be 20 years this time.

I dont think so he just looked very leggy

We didn't deserve that. Nowt fucking drops for us ever, was just like the Dortmund home game in that respect, so many near misses or chances where the ball almost fell for us.

I need to see the winning goal again but my reaction in real time was that Bruno absolutely swerved the opportunity to make a foul, take the yellow and keep us alive. He played so well all night but that moment may have been the one that cost us.

Absolutely gut wrenching stuff tonight. Feel like it'll probably be flat as a fart on Saturday after that, everyone's taken an emotional hammering.