Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Newcastle United (15/09/24) | Reaction: pg 51

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

I'm loathed to have a go at Eddie, but the lack of a 6 (it's a 4 in my old brain), and he's made it clear we don't play with one, kills us away from home. You need that protection in front of your defence, everyone can see it, can't they ?

Aye. Pretty much any great team you can think of had a proper DM that just sat, kept things ticking over, and did the dirty work. That gap in midfield costs us time and time again. 

1 minute ago, Mattoon said:

I thought it was an improved performance by us and up until their goal we dominated, but they're parking the bus at home and looking to take us on the break, we need to be smarter, move the ball quicker and take our chances.

It's obvious that the personnel on the pitch is preventing us from full tempo and accuracy. I'd like to see Barnes, Tonali and Willock get some minutes for Murphy, Longstaff and Joelinton.

Completely agree.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

I'm loathed to have a go at Eddie, but the lack of a 6 (it's a 4 in my old brain), and he's made it clear we don't play with one, kills us away from home. You need that protection in front of your defence, everyone can see it, can't they ?

Not to mention Bruno himself has stated he prefers playing as an 8.

And his ability to thread a ball would be more useful further up.

Oh well ...

2 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Yea. It's been clear for 12 months now that the same approach away as we do at home, doesn't work. Either keep Bruno disciplined central and he doesn't move, or you play 2 deep so he can go forward more.