Left-Back

Guest jamesmartinsmith
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we were to go in for Heinze, maybe offering the armband would help tempt him.  He's an experienced player, and he's captained Man Utd before.  More qualified for it than the rest of our squad, anyway

So if things stay the same who would people prefer us to start the season at left back? Baba, Ramage or Huntington?

Would give Edgar a try, not that I think it will come down to it.

Surely with a kick up the arse from Allardyce Babayaro could do a better job than Ramage or Huntington, two players who have shocking technical skill and positional sense.  I agree that Edgar looks a bit more polished, but those two players get caught out all the time, and can't cross either, which leads to all kinds of problems when we have players committed forward.

So if things stay the same who would people prefer us to start the season at left back? Baba, Ramage or Huntington?

Babayaro, I suppose.

Huntington.

Seriously? He may be a prospect but I'd have Baba, Edgar and Rampage ahead of him in the left back slot. He looked woeful there last season, and it can't have done him any good.

no no no.. we can't start another season without a left back.. Babayaro playing every week is simply not possible.. Huntington is shocking at the left and unless we want to play the LB as a center back on the left, like Roeder did (which is pointless), i'd have Solano or Geremi in there or even Zog

Don't we have any other left backs at the club other than Babayaro? If we can't get an experienced left back surely it wouldn't be too hard to pick up a promising understudy?

I'd take any leftback now.  He should have got J Lloyd Samuel he would have been ok for cover.  Better than playing a centreback or an attacking winger (duff) there like roeder did.  Anyway if we've got all this 'money' - make an 8M bid for shorey ,I know he's not worth that but its the only way we'll probably get him and we need a leftback more than anything else.

I'd take any leftback now.  He should have got J Lloyd Samuel he would have been ok for cover.  Better than playing a centreback or an attacking winger (duff) there like roeder did.  Anyway if we've got all this 'money' - make an 8M bid for shorey ,I know he's not worth that but its the only way we'll probably get him and we need a leftback more than anything else.

We still have about 3 weeks until the season starts, calm down! :lol:

If we had signed Samuel people would have gone mental!

no no no.. we can't start another season without a left back.. Babayaro playing every week is simply not possible.. Huntington is shocking at the left and unless we want to play the LB as a center back on the left, like Roeder did (which is pointless), i'd have Solano or Geremi in there or even Zog

tbh I think Zog would make a superb left-back. He has all the qualities to do so, the trouble is depending on the system we play it might be a bit of a waste of his talents, plus with his current state of mind asking him to play in defence would probably push him over the edge..

Three weeks isn't that long considering our pre-season preparation is already well under way. As Sam says we need 3-4 defenders. It'll take a bit of time to bring that many players in, and once the season starts it becomes harder to negotiate. Defence is an area where understanding is key, we have three weeks to bring in 3-4 defenders and get them acclimatised if they're coming from abroad, quite frankly I don't see us doing it in time. How we cope with that is anyone's guess, but Bolton will probably be better prepared than ourselves.

I'm confident we'll get at least two new defenders in by the end of August. Whether we get enough, they're good enough or whether they'll have the right preparation to succeed are my concerns at the moment. We could have a lot of teething problems in the early weeks. In that sense time is not on our side at all.

Three weeks isn't that long considering our pre-season preparation is already well under way. As Sam says we need 3-4 defenders. It'll take a bit of time to bring that many players in, and once the season starts it becomes harder to negotiate. Defence is an area where understanding is key, we have three weeks to bring in 3-4 defenders and get them acclimatised if they're coming from abroad, quite frankly I don't see us doing it in time. How we cope with that is anyone's guess, but Bolton will probably be better prepared than ourselves.

I'm confident we'll get at least two new defenders in by the end of August. Whether we get enough, they're good enough or whether they'll have the right preparation to succeed are my concerns at the moment. We could have a lot of teething points in the early weeks. In that sense time is not on our side at all.

Seems like Allardyce wants premiership players first and foremost so hopefully its just a case of getting to know the players a bit better.

Guest makemeacupoftea

IMO we should have Babayaro as our main left back, on his day he can be one of the best, and sign some understudy player, someone from the championship. We also have Carr who can play there and he was awesome last season when we needed him to step up.

IMO we should have Babayaro as our main left back, on his day he can be one of the best, and sign some understudy player, someone from the championship. We also have Carr who can play their and he was awesome last season when we needed him to step up.

Not the popular opinion, I think you'll find. :lol:

Guest makemeacupoftea

IMO we should have Babayaro as our main left back, on his day he can be one of the best, and sign some understudy player, someone from the championship. We also have Carr who can play their and he was awesome last season when we needed him to step up.

Not the popular opinion, I think you'll find. :lol:

Why?