Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

To be fair, these 1 to 11 things would be very boring if players just picked the players with the best ability. It's a bit more interesting when they talk about their own personal relationships with players, how they complimented each other within the team/dressing room etc, and why.

I watch that segment a fair bit and it's crap when they mostly choose international team mates they barely played with. Nobby over Beckham was a great choice as they actually spent maybe 5 years together.

Beckham's positioning was massively under-rated. Considering he was the best crosser of a ball in the world for nigh on 10 years, it was ridiculous how often he found loads of space to put in a cross.

More to do with the quality of the cross. He didn't need to be in a traditionally dangerous position. With the likes of Yorke & Scholes central you needed a compact team to defend properly and he'd stick wide as anything. Didn't need an angle or more than a single touch.

I think those 1 to 11's should be more about who you worked best with, than the best you've played alongside for a handful of games. Nobby's a better choice just because they played so much together.

Of course Beckham was better. But Nobby was superb and had a lovely range of passing and creativity. Probably had the best eye for a pass i've seen at SJP. He must have put Dyer, Bellamy, Robert & Shearer through on goal hundreds of times. You can see the great understanding he had with Dyer in that Dyer compilation on Youtube. Nobby seemingly assisted Dyer in half those goals.

For a lad with no engine, zero pace, little trickery - Solano was amazing. Had he been a real athlete he would've been world class.

Guest Howaythetoon

I love Nobby and he was a very underrated footballer, but Beckham as overrated as he has sometimes been labeled, is a level above the likes of Nobby in every department. Beckham's passing wasn't just the hollywood ball, he could play killer through balls and switch play which is often overlooked in today's game. His crossing and free kicks were generally of a high quality too. His work-rate, temprement and leadership skills were huge too.

Speed was not an easy player to rile, but I can remember him nearly coming to blows with Dyer over something he said.

I'm not convinced that Dyer has given us the full account of what he said to Bowyer. Would Bowyer have reacted like that just because someone told him he was shit?

Speed was not an easy player to rile, but I can remember him nearly coming to blows with Dyer over something he said.

I'm not convinced that Dyer has given us the full account of what he said to Bowyer. Would Bowyer have reacted like that just because someone told him he was shit?

I think you need to be put down.

I'm not convinced that Dyer has given us the full account of what he said to Bowyer. Would Bowyer have reacted like that just because someone told him he was s***?

It's Lee Bowyer man. And Dyer was and had clearly wound him up.

A few minutes before Dyer chooses to not pass to him - he should have but it didn't look like a major deal but you can clearly see Bowyer shouting at Dyer in disgust. A few minutes later, the same thing basically happens - it looks like Dyer chooses to not pass to Bowyer because of the previous needless aggro to piss him off and it kicks off.

I have no doubt Dyer was very rude and expletive but I imagine the gist of it was - "you can't tell me what to do, if I don't want to pass to you I wont, and it's because your shit so eff off."

An already irate Bowyer isn't going to have that.

I'm not convinced that Dyer has given us the full account of what he said to Bowyer. Would Bowyer have reacted like that just because someone told him he was s***?

A few minutes before Dyer chooses to not pass to him - he should have but it didn't look like a major deal but you can clearly see Bowyer shouting at Dyer in disgust. A few minutes later, the same thing basically happens - it looks like Dyer chooses to not pass to Bowyer because of the previous needless aggro to piss him off and it kicks off.

I have no doubt Dyer was very rude and expletive but I imagine the gist of it was - "you can't tell me what to do, if I don't want to pass to you I wont, and it's because your shit so eff off."

Maybe you're right, but I think that kind of exchange happens quite often on a football field, and between professionals it usually gets sorted out in the dressing room afterwards.

Like I said with the Speed incident, Dyer did seem to have a way of getting under someone's skin.

A few minutes before Dyer chooses to not pass to him - he should have but it didn't look like a major deal but you can clearly see Bowyer shouting at Dyer in disgust. A few minutes later, the same thing basically happens - it looks like Dyer chooses to not pass to Bowyer because of the previous needless aggro to p*ss him off and it kicks off.

I have no doubt Dyer was very rude and expletive but I imagine the gist of it was - "you can't tell me what to do, if I don't want to pass to you I wont, and it's because your s*** so eff off."

Maybe you're right, but I think that kind of exchange happens quite often on a football field, and between professionals it usually gets sorted out in the dressing room afterwards.

Like I said with the Speed incident, Dyer did seem to have a way of getting under someone's skin.

Watch the video of pre-incident. You rarely see players so angry at another player for not passing to them.

I'm sure Dyer was/is a very cocky and arrogant lad which gets to people.  It probably doesn't take much to get under Bowyer's skin.

• 2 years later...

What has he said?

Dyer: “A new investor will see the club as a business. They’re not bothered about winning something, they just want to keep churning the money. Arsenal have shown that – they’re happy to come top four – job done.

“Knowing the Newcastle fans, would they settle for just that? I think Newcastle staying in the Premier League will just make money with the TV deal.”

Shreeves: “I’ve spoken to quite a few Newcastle fans. I was on the train with quite a lot after the Brighton game and they said they’re fed up with this reputation that they believe they have a right to win a trophy or belong alongside Manchester United. That’s a myth. They just want to support their team and see them do well. They do not believe they have any divine right.”

Dyer: “I disagree. I disagree. Being there I think they expect to be up there. I’m not saying winning the league but I think the fans think they’re a Champions League team. I honestly believe that.

“They were spoiled with Kevin Keegan.”

What has he said?

Dyer: “A new investor will see the club as a business. They’re not bothered about winning something, they just want to keep churning the money. Arsenal have shown that – they’re happy to come top four – job done.

“Knowing the Newcastle fans, would they settle for just that? I think Newcastle staying in the Premier League will just make money with the TV deal.”

Shreeves: “I’ve spoken to quite a few Newcastle fans. I was on the train with quite a lot after the Brighton game and they said they’re fed up with this reputation that they believe they have a right to win a trophy or belong alongside Manchester United. That’s a myth. They just want to support their team and see them do well. They do not believe they have any divine right.”

Dyer: “I disagree. I disagree. Being there I think they expect to be up there. I’m not saying winning the league but I think the fans think they’re a Champions League team. I honestly believe that.

“They were spoiled with Kevin Keegan.”

:lol: :lol: Absolute ring piece.