Steve McClaren

Dave

We are too naiive away from home. Trying to pass it too much playing high line. Again, very self-destructive with Willian, Pedro and Costa running behind. Just stick 2 banks of 4 and keep it tight, frustrate the opposition. Now when we lose the ball we are so open its ridicilous.

McClaren isn't very good but the idea that this team should be comfortably mid-table is a very misguided one. Not enough goals and a poor defence.

We'll agree to disagree there. A better manager wouldn't have us near the bottom three. I'm pretty sure of that.

It's irrelevant like.

Same here, I just don't get it, we've had s*** managers for 5 years yet some people can't or won't look past the players. Perhaps there's no goals and a leaky defence in part because the coaching and tactics are s*** as well?

The idea that people think Mitrovic, Perez, Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Shelvey, Townsend & Aarons aren't good enough to be firing us out of the bottom three is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Aye, we've not had any strikers in the last 5 years that have scored plenty of goals under crap management. Even this season Mitro should have close to 10 already but has missed plenty. You can only blame coaching on so much.

We've got some nice technical players, yes, but there's an overall lack of clutch between them. We could be in the early stages of making a good side but there's still a long, long way to go. Any mid-table side worth their salt should, at the very least, have a solid defence. We just don't.

I blame all parties for the mess we're in, they're just as culpable as one another. Nobody should escape blame.

Edit: we shouldn't be bottom 3, btw. Lower, lower mid-table is where we should be.

McClaren isn't very good but the idea that this team should be comfortably mid-table is a very misguided one. Not enough goals and a poor defence.

Totally Agree here  we have a bottom six squad , not really sure why people think a defence as bad as ours should be any higher...

I think maybe I've got up in a weird mood this morning - I know it'd get mocked nationally but if I had the cash I'd get a full page taken out in one of the national papers begging Fat Mike and Kevin Keegan to sit down together, put their differences aside and do anything in their powers to get back together for the sake of the club and it's fans, one last roll of the dice... I know, it's ridiculous but that's the mood I'm in right now with things as they are. Ashley did it once, if he admitted to and appologised for how it went south last time around, admitted he'd not make the same mistakes twice and Kev swallowed his pride... we could have something special again.

... go on, you can all take the piss now.

I think maybe I've got up in a weird mood this morning - I know it'd get mocked nationally but if I had the cash I'd get a full page taken out in one of the national papers begging Fat Mike and Kevin Keegan to sit down together, put their differences aside and do anything in their powers to get back together for the sake of the club and it's fans, one last roll of the dice... I know, it's ridiculous but that's the mood I'm in right now with things as they are. Ashley did it once, if he admitted to and appologised for how it went south last time around, admitted he'd not make the same mistakes twice and Kev swallowed his pride... we could have something special again.

... go on, you can all take the piss now.

Wouldn't take the piss but Keegan took him for £2m, no way he's talking to him ever again.

We'll agree to disagree there. A better manager wouldn't have us near the bottom three. I'm pretty sure of that.

It's irrelevant like.

Same here, I just don't get it, we've had s*** managers for 5 years yet some people can't or won't look past the players. Perhaps there's no goals and a leaky defence in part because the coaching and tactics are s*** as well?

The idea that people think Mitrovic, Perez, Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Shelvey, Townsend & Aarons aren't good enough to be firing us out of the bottom three is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Aye, we've not had any strikers in the last 5 years that have scored plenty of goals under crap management. Even this season Mitro should have close to 10 already but has missed plenty. You can only blame coaching on so much.

We've got some nice technical players, yes, but there's an overall lack of clutch between them. We could be in the early stages of making a good side but there's still a long, long way to go. Any mid-table side worth their salt should, at the very least, have a solid defence. We just don't.

I blame all parties for the mess we're in, they're just as culpable as one another. Nobody should escape blame.

Edit: we shouldn't be bottom 3, btw. Lower, lower mid-table is where we should be.

I think the last bit you put in with the edit sums up where most of us are tbh

Agree with this.

The back line was woeful yesterday. Last time we went down it was with Colo and Saylor at centre back add a non-defensive rb in Janmaat and a left winger in Aarons and it's a recipe for disaster. We got away with it against a poor West Brom side but against such a strong attacking 5 it was an impossible task.

A better manager would have these lot way more orgainsed and less shit away from home. A few away results would have us mid table.

Absolutely, it's mental. You mitigate poor individuals with setting up an organised and aggressive team that looks to frustrate and hit on the break. We have the players to do that but are totally incapable of doing it, must be the players though...

The players look utterly clueless tactically and completely demotivated. Of course they're at fault too but ultimately it seems pretty obvious that McClaren has had and is still having zero positive effect on them. I just can't see Ashkey getting rid, he's a gambler so will probably stick with him.

So depressing listening to this halfwit do post match and even pre match interviews. That grinning yesterday in the interview really fucking wound me up

Charnley in January last year

‘We see this as a long-term decision,’ he said.

‘We’ve got a number of options and clearly my preference is to try and find someone to bring in now.

‘However, because it will be a long-term commitment, if I have to wait until the summer for what I believe is the right individual then I would rather wait than actually take someone now who I think isn’t the best fit. 

‘I’m not going to take someone who is free and available now if we have a better option and options by waiting until the end of the season. I know that won’t be an entirely popular point of view but for me that is the most sensible thing to do. It is about the medium to long term and ensuring we get the “right one”.’

The right one, any idiot could see it  wasn't the right one, it seems they made there mind up in January and didn't change even though Derby had an horrific run of form, that has continued into Newcastle, if McClaren goes im thinking Charnley will also.

We are too naiive away from home. Trying to pass it too much playing high line. Again, very self-destructive with Willian, Pedro and Costa running behind. Just stick 2 banks of 4 and keep it tight, frustrate the opposition. Now when we lose the ball we are so open its ridicilous.

This does my head in a lot more than our shit defending. We all know our defenders aren't very good, and i'm sure the midfielders and forwards know that too. So to continuously lose the ball unnecessarily in midfield is extremely irritating, and in matches like last night, is what leads to us crumbling rather than the bad defending itself.

We seem to have a unique ability to never have enough (or any) men in the box or passing options when we attack, yet never have enough men in defence when we inevitably lose the ball.  That's what having the best coach in England gets you.

We seem to have a unique ability to never have enough (or any) men in the box or passing options when we attack, yet never have enough men in defence when we inevitably lose the ball.  That's what having the best coach in England gets you.

So true :lol:  'Newcastle are breaking, it's 4 on 2, oh, cleared, team X on the counter attack, they have 7 on 2, must be, GOOOOAL.  5-0 to team X with only 45 seconds played.  Newcastle can take solace that it's an improvement at least.  They've been tremendous.'

I think there would be plenty of available managers right now who would fancy the job. It's not like the players we have are Championship quality. We have players who played and even scored at the World Cup finals two years ago ffs! Gini, Janmaat, Perez, Sissoko, Shelvey, Mitrovic. These are players who have quality yet with p*ss poor managers that have maligned the team the past 5 years, it's just not clicking for them. That's why I don't think the task of avoiding relegation with the players we have is something that would turn away most managers. It's not impossible.

Give someone the job until the end of the season. Short term deal with the promise of a permanent appointment and plenty of cash to spend in the summer. It's doable and it's enticing. But first, get rid of the c*** in charge right now. He wont improve and we'll be doomed by April if we stick with him.