Steve McClaren

Dave

Ultimately it won't really be about McClaren but investment in the squad. That will be the real statement of intentions.

Well we've been conned plenty of times about this in the past with Ashley, but this time he's actually come out on tv and implied we would be spending big money in order to win something. McClaren might have a chance if that happens but if we just carry on penny pinching he's going to get just as many pelters as Pardew.

Very surprised if anybody decides to go back because of Mcclaren like :lol: obviously there are those who would still turn up no matter what, but they are beyond help.

The only thing which will sell season tickets is big signings.

Better atmosphere in a pub anyway. There's a better atmosphere in a library for that matter.

That's what happens when you support a club that exists to exist.

Ultimately it won't really be about McClaren but investment in the squad. That will be the real statement of intentions.

Well we've been conned plenty of times about this in the past with Ashley, but this time he's actually come out on tv and implied we would be spending big money in order to win something. McClaren might have a chance if that happens but if we just carry on penny pinching he's going to get just as many pelters as Pardew.

MA is looking at the long con now...The value of the club in 5 years will double mainly due to TV money. I think he will throw about 30-40m net in this window. That amount won't affect his strategy mainly because we have that much lying around and more TV money to come. If it's spent wisely the team will be decent and THEN we can properly discuss SM. Right now there are too many intangibles and we're essentially going on instinct. He's a reasonable manager nothing more, but he's quite capable.

Yep. If Ashley does what he says and 'punches above our weight' in the transfer window, then I think McClaren can do well. In that event, it'll be a big opportunity for him, which should energise him.

And yes people, I know we've heard it all before, and you can't believe that people can still be fooled and Ashley's a proven liar etc etc I know, I know.

MA is looking at the long con now...The value of the club in 5 years will double mainly due to TV money. I think he will throw about 30-40m net in this window. That amount won't affect his strategy mainly because we have that much lying around and more TV money to come. If it's spent wisely the team will be decent and THEN we can properly discuss SM. Right now there are too many intangibles and we're essentially going on instinct. He's a reasonable manager nothing more, but he's quite capable.

That's what I'm thinking as well, with the amount of money coming into the coffers now, he could spend that amount and still be in the black. He's in a position now where penny pinching would make no sense from any angle. Given a decent squad McClaren would have to be particularly crap to make us struggle next season. With a £30-40m investment in the squad he should be looking at Europe.

Question for those that have given up going to matches. Will the appointment of Steve McClaren mean you will attend games again?

Nope. Someone like Viera (with lots of new faces being brought in) might have swayed my decision to get my season ticket back but I still think the football next season under McClaren/Carver will be completely dour, can't be bothered wasting my time being completely bored inside SJP.

Guest Roger Kint

Question for those that have given up going to matches. Will the appointment of Steve McClaren mean you will attend games again?

Not a chance.  :lol:

:lol: As if anyone would be stupid enough to be bought off and get back into bed with Ashley because we have him as manager

:lol: As if anyone would be stupid enough to be bought off and get back into bed with Ashley because we have him as manager

Unfortunately there'll be thousands of the morons.

Guest Roger Kint

No way would people who have given up come back just on this appointment

Not without proper investment in the squad. The crowds were already starting to dip below 50k, I don't think they'll come back on the back of hiring McClaren.

The hope with McClaren is that he can eliminate factors that were pure Pardew or pure Carver. You can't blame Ashley for the set penis, for the team trying to shut up shop at 1-0, for the piss poor efforts twice a season against the mackems, or for the way certain players, recently MYM, didn't get a fair chance. The blame there stops with the manager.

What Ashley can be blamed for is the underinvestment, the draining of ambition, and the whoring of the entire ground to Sports Direct and the shirt to Wonga. Underinvestment in itself is not uncommon below the top tier of clubs, but as the team with the lowest net spend (=highest profit from transfers) over the past five or so seasons, ours is still worthy of note. Ashley's failings also go way beyond simple underinvestment.

Does McClaren like a certain type of player like tall and can run or does he like actual footballers ? Like will he blackball Willo straight away.

Don't even know what his team's have been like at set penises

Thing is, because he's Carr's mate, it's bound to be more of the same. Glaring shitness/incompetence will be ignored and the likes of Carver, Stone, Woodman, Willo, etc will continue to steal a living.

Despite the obvious problems, which pretty much everyone bar those at the club can see, I'll bet we'll not be shot of the shite for a long time to come.

Ronniegill!

This fucking club!

Michael Laudrup wanted to talk, and so did Frank de Boer.

For a couple of days last week, Patrick Vieira was open to the idea of discussing Newcastle United’s head coach vacancy as a way of fast-tracking his own managerial development – before the interest fizzled out with both parties adamant that the other one had been the instigators.

There had been others, too. With Remi Garde it went as far as the interview process while Christophe Galtier and Jocelyn Gourvennec, two of France’s brightest young managerial talents, would have been amenable.

Yet Newcastle took a head count of these candidates – one of two of whom might have had a seriously transformative impact on the club – and went, instead, for Steve McClaren.

Ronniegill!

This f***ing club!

For a couple of days last week, Patrick Vieira was open to the idea of discussing Newcastle United’s head coach vacancy as a way of fast-tracking his own managerial development – before the interest fizzled out with both parties adamant that the other one had been the instigators.

There had been others, too. With Remi Garde it went as far as the interview process while Christophe Galtier and Jocelyn Gourvennec, two of France’s brightest young managerial talents, would have been amenable.

Yet Newcastle took a head count of these candidates – one of two of whom might have had a seriously transformative impact on the club – and went, instead, for Steve McClaren.

Name after name, blow after blow.

Ronniegill!

This f***ing club!

Does anyone know if there was any genuine interest in Thomas Tuchel ? He was my original choice but now he's replaced Klopp at Dortmund.

Shame really, our last German manager took us into the CL with the likes of Santiago Munez and Gavin Harris. Would have been nice to see that replicated.

Not without proper investment in the squad. The crowds were already starting to dip below 50k, I don't think they'll come back on the back of hiring McClaren.

Last season they were still including season ticket holders in the attendances even if they didn't turn up so those people will not be there next season.  I reckon attendances will only be boosted if the team are doing well.  Play like they did last season and they will continue to fall.

Some people are going way over the top bashing McClaren, like.

But, on the other hand, it's not like he's an inspired choice either.

The answer is probably somewhere in the middle.