Steve McClaren

Dave

It was a performance today straight out of the Pardew handbook in terms of style being defend, defend, defend, sucker punch. That style also suits the majority of our squad pretty handily, which of course is down to Mr Carr.

With that said, i'm not knocking McClaren one bit for it, as long as it doesn't become the epitome of his reign here. Very happy with that tonight, beating Liverpool just never gets old.

It was a performance today straight out of the Pardew handbook in terms of style being defend, defend, defend, sucker punch. That style also suits the majority of our squad pretty handily, which of course is down to Mr Carr.

With that said, i'm not knocking McClaren one bit for it, as long as it doesn't become the epitome of his reign here. Very happy with that tonight, beating Liverpool just never gets old.

Didn't see the game but was just coming in to mention this, stinks of one of those Pardew games where he picks a team everyone thinks is an absolute joke and borderline offensive then they somehow fluke a result.

Still, that should resolve us having to strengthen the squad in January, we're basically safe now aye.

I don't think that's fair. We attacked far more in the second half IMO.

Pardew's gameplan was to sit deep, we didn't do that for long stretches of the game. Our pressing game stopped after de Jong went off, I don't think that's a coincidence, mind. We tried to play but we don't have a really balanced set of players so it can be very patchy in how it comes off.

I thought Thauvin looked alright for the moments he was on, really would like to see him come in against Villa and start on the left with Mitro ahead of SDJ. Would prefer to see Perez come back in next weekend as our best chances will be counters and he's a better option away from home as a 10, IMO.

Happened again today, up against a top side on the TV and we put 100% effort (I don't credit McClaren for this), play against the bread and butter teams and we play at 80% to 90% and struggle.

We've won 3 and 2 of them have been relegation rivals. We have no bias about who we are s*** against.

We've also lost on t.v against a few teams too. Arsenal and West Ham come to mind.

Just a myth on both counts. We are just s****.

It's no myth, we are s**** because for a large part we don't put the necessary effort in. Forget results, look at the level of performance against "top" teams compared to run of the mill teams. The players get themselves up for the big teams and have been at around 80% for others - that gets you beat on most occasions. McClaren has no influence over the level of performance.

All yesterday did for me was to confirm that McClaren's not the right man to lead Newcastle. The way we are set up means we are relying on a tremendous amount of running from Gini and Sissoko both defensively and driving forward. Can anybody see them doing that week in week out because they respect McClaren so much?

If Ashley had any sense of ownership he would move McClaren upstairs and bring in a Vieira type appointment. This squad desperately needs a real figurehead leader.

I wouldn't have done it but Cisse and De Jong for Mitro and Perez worked well. He put out the most experienced side that he could and it worked. Also went a bit more direct and it worked. Big question is can we get that level of effort from the whole team week in week out ? Not only was that second goal class it took tremendous desire and effort from Sissoko and Gini which we rarely see.

Not only was that second goal class it took tremendous desire and effort from Sissoko and Gini which we rarely see.

It also came at a time in the match when we normally are trying to shut up shop and then let in an equalizer. It made me happy to see them pushing for a goal at the end of the game rather than just trying to defend for the last ten minutes.

Not only was that second goal class it took tremendous desire and effort from Sissoko and Gini which we rarely see.

It also came at a time in the match when we normally are trying to shut up shop and then let in an equalizer. It made me happy to see them pushing for a goal at the end of the game rather than just trying to defend for the last ten minutes.

Think it was evidence that they understood the game plan and followed it instinctively, even if it was late in the game. Question is can they do that with a more complicated plan or one which doesn't involve just defending and getting a goal on the break?

The problem is that our midfielders are not very good at winning the ball back (well maybe Tiote) and are giving the ball away a lot. On Sunday we played so direct and even Blob played it long every time.

One Cabaye-class midfielder would make a huge difference

A Cabaye who could win the ball back.

Yes, tbh Cabaye had the same issues as Colback in that regard, not quick enough across the ground to close down and he was often late in the tackle as a result. Yes he gets stuck in but it's about doing it effectively.

A Cabaye who could win the ball back.

Yes, tbh Cabaye had the same issues as Colback in that regard, not quick enough across the ground to close down and he was often late in the tackle as a result. Yes he gets stuck in but it's about doing it effectively.

Yeah someone said the other day we needed another Cabaye in midfield but that's only true in terms of what he's like with the ball. We desperately need athleticism and presence as much as we need a ball playing midfielder.

Cabaye wins the ball a good amount. He's not quick across the ground but he reads the game well. Holds position well and times his runs forward smartly. On average, he makes the 3rd most interceptions in the league behind Koscielny and Kante. Stop comparing him to fucking Jack Colback. Colback just runs around for the sake of it chasing shadows. Cabaye was effective alongside Tiote because the two of them could defend well against 3 midfielders and Cabaye had that bit of class to get us going forward.

Cabaye's great for a team on the counter. 1 touch to get the ball out of his feet and he's playing it into space for forward players accurate as hell.

SMc: "We go there (Spurs) fully focussed and intent on giving a performance and getting a result." #NUFC

SMc: "If Spurs weren't in the Europa League they would be title contenders." #NUFC

SMc: "(Spurs) are a good team. They have a good squad of players and they play with a very high intensity." #NUFC

SMc: "We need to follow (Liverpool) up at White Hart Lane. We need to put in a performance if we are to get anything." #NUFC

SMc: "Squad-wise we are the same as we were last weekend. Tiote is a couple of days away, Aarons also. Lascelles is out on the grass." #NUFC

SMc: "We go there (Spurs) fully focussed and intent on giving a performance and getting a result." #NUFC

SMc: "If Spurs weren't in the Europa League they would be title contenders." #NUFC

SMc: "(Spurs) are a good team. They have a good squad of players and they play with a very high intensity." #NUFC

SMc: "We need to follow (Liverpool) up at White Hart Lane. We need to put in a performance if we are to get anything." #NUFC

SMc: "Squad-wise we are the same as we were last weekend. Tiote is a couple of days away, Aarons also. Lascelles is out on the grass." #NUFC

Sounds like a cow.