Steve McClaren

Dave

Like Remi Garde,who every f***er was screaming for?

:lol:

Must feel good to badger everyone around with the blunt force of hindsight. Garde would still have done decently at a club that wasn't the abortion that is Aston Villa. And everyone was simply going by previous achievements and track record, and Garde trumps McC every time.

That's not true at all, Garde just doesn't have much of a CV to critique, other than doing a reasonable job at Lyon.

However you look at it, at the time, in most people's eyes, there was no question of anyone preferring McClaren over Garde. Regardless of how you gauge each of their records. In my books, what he did with Lyon was far better than what McClaren's achieved and at least it was someone younger and on the up and up, as opposed to someone who'd been sacked from Derby.

Winning the Eredivisie with FC Twente was a big achievement, irrespective of how patchy the rest of McClaren's CV is. What's Garde ever done that comes close?

I was under the impression he won one of the titles for Lyon, but a bit of Wikiiing has proved me wrong. So fair enough, McC has a better CV, but I'd still have taken Garde over McC due to the other reasons I stated above, not simply the CV. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20, and it's not like we're tearing up the fucking league with McC.

I just can't judge how Garde has done at Villa, they're just too awful and that started a long time ago.  His sense of timing is pretty poor though, considering he chose the Villa job after the owner had basically stated he couldn't be bothered any more.  Perhaps he was promised more.  They did seem to make an effort at some spending at the start of the season.

I think Garde would have been a more exciting appointment for us, because he was seen as a coach with potential.  That may have been ramped up hype after fact gathering and such on here.  People wanted a real change after Pardew.  That doesn't mean he'd have been better than McClaren, but the offer of someone who could be brilliant is more exciting than someone we all knew is pretty mediocre like McClaren.  That's especially true in recent times.  Twente was McClaren's last success and he's had a fairly poor time everywhere else since, including in his return to Twente.

Why was Garde such a popular choice, apart from the lads that are shit hot on the Euro scene most people didn't have a fucking Scooby about his credentials to take over usapart from some obscure reference from Arsene Wenger. And obviously the Carver fear factor,which hit home like a fucking Scream movie.

I remember reading an article which claimed that he'd done a great job at Lyon developing the youngsters who were then sold on, rinse and repeat. It was a selling club so developing a consistent run of success wouldn't be easy. Supposedly he's improved Villa's performances as well, just they don't have any decent strikers worth a light.

Of course he's still unproven in this league but he never really had much of a chance with the squad he's been handed at Villa.

Guest Howaythetoon

Watching Villa under him they retain possession much more and don't seem to panic, but they lack cutting edge and seem easily out fought in midfield. They have shored up defensively though. TBH I think they were doomed before he was even appointed.

Just heard him talking about tonights game, what a demotivating cunt- may as well hand them the 3 points and just not bother-

What did he say? I'm so sick of these cuckold managers we keep hiring.

Everton are ace- brilliant, murdered us for 1st 20mins at sjp. got one of the best strikers in Europe- Everton, Everton, Everton,.... us 'chuckle'.

Just heard him talking about tonights game, what a demotivating cunt- may as well hand them the 3 points and just not bother-

What did he say? I'm so sick of these cuckold managers we keep hiring.

Everton are ace- brilliant, murdered us for 1st 20mins at sjp. got one of the best strikers in Europe- Everton, Everton, Everton,.... us 'chuckle'.

Ugh.

so negative so defensive despite buying no new defenders and having one of the poorest defensive records in the league, playing to DM may have changed for now but we still sit too deep as a form of protection which so far this season hasnt worked for shit