Steve McClaren

Dave

I don't think I've ever heard of a manager (head coach I know) in football who was kept on while there was a quite public search for his replacement going on. Our lot like to do things differently, but I still think it's highly unlikely, especially the McClaren going along with it part. Surely he would demand to be put on gardening leave if he had effectively been told to be the caretaker until they've found their guy?

So you think nothing's going on then? Why don't they just come out and back him so that we can move on?

I don't think I've ever heard of a manager (head coach I know) in football who was kept on while there was a quite public search for his replacement going on. Our lot like to do things differently, but I still think it's highly unlikely, especially the McClaren going along with it part. Surely he would demand to be put on gardening leave if he had effectively been told to be the caretaker until they've found their guy?

It would make sense if he was being moved upstairs therefor still being employed by the club. The people running the club are idiots though there is no doubt about that, but Im still not panicking as of yet. I think we will know one way or the other by Friday.

Guest Phillipealbert

The running joke that is Newcastle United, keeps on going and getting worse. I agree with what Poot said earlier to some extent - us supporters are being deliberately misled and trolled again.

Shameful. The club deserves to crash and burn - people should walk away now.

People should have walked away 5-6 years ago. The camels back has been broken, pissed on, set on fire, decomposed, fed to another camel and broken again.

Personally, I haven't contributed a penny to the club for years, and won't until it is under better ownership.

Whatever is or isn't happening, this has now became another farce that could have been avoided and it is not exactly going to create the right environment to stay up.  Whether the club are "playing" everyone or not, McClaren had zero respect from his players before - at best, he will either be a figure of fun or sympathy now. 

And if the plan is to get a new manager in then they need him ASAP regardless of whether the Leicester game is a write off or not - with 10 games left, a new manager needs as much time as possible with them.

Surely now, the remaining Ashley apologists must see how bad things are, this comedy of errors is going to cost us our premier league status, yes McClaren would have managed it on his own but unless this is brought to a swift conclusion it'll do even more irreparable damage.

Guest Phillipealbert

Surely now, the remaining Ashley apologists must see how bad things are, this comedy of errors is going to cost us our premier league status, yes McClaren would have managed it on his own but unless this is brought to a swift conclusion it'll do even more irreparable damage.

Are there any Ashley apologists left? Surely, the worst 'tards remaining are the 'Support the team, not the regime' bellends?

So you think nothing's going on then? Why don't they just come out and back him so that we can move on?

Where's the fun in that? Remember the January after Pardew left, with all the supposed sounding out potential managers, 80 high profile candidates had put their name in the head yadayada? Meanwhile Carver took to the bench game after game and it wasn't until a full month after Pardew left, by the time we all knew Carver would get/keep the gig he was gagging for, that they finally confirmed Carver would stay in place until the end of the season? Their master plan was what? To wait until McClaren became available? Steve fucking McClaren? And you would trust these men to make the correct decision and pull it off?

I do think something is going on alright: they're in a pickle and they're buying time in the hope that things will sort themselves out on the pitch with McClaren. People don't seriously believe we are after Rafa Benitez or capable of pulling such a deal off do they?

Guest neesy111

If McClaren is remaining on the board, it would make sense. I.e he's still taking training until a new manager is found.

The board position is irrelevant on all of this.

It's just a ridiculous situation. Even if he is a shit manager, the way it's being dealt with is not respectful to Schteve, the fans and the players will not know what's going on. If they are getting Rafa sorted then fair enough but still think they should have sacked him first

The man is full of shit. I couldn't bare to sit in a meeting and have to talk to the bland fucker.. it's like having Keith Chegwin in charge of everything you own. I'm surprised Mike went along with it to be honest

At least Joe Kinnear you could have a pint with, he has a personality (for good or bad) Even Pardew who I fucking despise, i'd sooner have a pint with him than this sorry son of a bitch and his charity shop knitwear.

Guest ElCid

The running joke that is Newcastle United, keeps on going and getting worse. I agree with what Poot said earlier to some extent - us supporters are being deliberately misled and trolled again.

People should have walked away 5-6 years ago. The camels back has been broken, p*ssed on, set on fire, decomposed, fed to another camel and broken again.

Personally, I haven't contributed a penny to the club for years, and won't until it is under better ownership.

I have had debates on here with a few who were going on about how the football was better, that we were in a better position now, the players were better, McClaren far better than Pardew etc etc where it was plainly obvious even within preseason that massive problems lie ahead -  said then wait and see even though it was so obvious it was unreal.

Been saying for a while that every person who attends and puts a penny into the fat c***s pocket derserves everything that is currently happening as this club has been a sinking ships for years. People who attend don't now try and play the 'we don't deserve this card' - sorry you do.

People should have walked away 5-6 years ago. The camels back has been broken, p*ssed on, set on fire, decomposed, fed to another camel and broken again.

I have had debates on here with a few who were going on about how the football was better, that we were in a better position now, the players were better, McClaren far better than Pardew etc etc where it was plainly obvious even within preseason that massive problems lie ahead -  said then wait and see even though it was so obvious it was unreal.

Been saying for a while that every person who attends and puts a penny into the fat c***s pocket derserves everything that is currently happening as this club has been a sinking ships for years. People who attend don't now try and play the 'we don't deserve this card' - sorry you do.

Preseason offers next to nothing in terms of judging the season ahead. What you've done is said, 'we're going to be shite', which 99 times out of 100 with NUFC is going to turn out to be correct. Well done.

And I highly doubt anyone attending believes they deserve anything. As a football fan you deserve nothing, success or failure.

Agreed. It's not exactly anything personal against those who choose to go out of love for the club and what it once stood for, but the fact that they can't see that their being there is actually helping Mike Ashley and lining his pockets means we'll be stuck under his ownership longer than we could or should be. For example right now we have a team who don't give 2 shits about the fans, so why even pay to turn up and support them in the masses? It screams battered wives syndrome tbh.

Not having that Foluwashola, sorry. The alarm bells were definitely ringing already during the most shambolic pre-season I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Not saying all of that was McClaren's fault, but he didn't exactly help himself then either.

Guest ElCid

Preseason offers next to nothing in terms of judging the season ahead. What you've done is said, 'we're going to be s****', which 99 times out of 100 with NUFC is going to turn out to be correct. Well done.

Coming from you as one of the ones who were trying to back him, not really interested in your views to be honest.

Not having that Foluwashola, sorry. The alarm bells were definitely ringing already during the most shambolic pre-season I've ever had the misfortune to witness. Not saying all of that was McClaren's fault, but he didn't exactly help himself then either.

The most 'shambolic preseason' I've ever witnessed was followed by promotion with 102 points tbf.

The most 'shambolic preseason' I've ever witnessed was followed by promotion with 102 points tbf.

That was a league lower, when teams could still romp through it though. Not exactly the same in comparison.

Preseason offers next to nothing in terms of judging the season ahead. What you've done is said, 'we're going to be s****', which 99 times out of 100 with NUFC is going to turn out to be correct. Well done.

Coming from you as one of the ones who were trying to back him, not really interested in your views to be honest.

Backed him as I'd back any manager, and the early signs from competitive games weren't too bad. Obviously it has all gone to pot, as it always does and time is up.

Apart from the Leyton Orient game that pre-season wasn't too bad compared to this one in terms of results and we were managerless for that entire pre-season, so no, wrong again.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/03/09/newcastle-united-are-set-to-offer-their-managers-job-to-rafa-ben/

Bailey saying it as well. iirc he was pretty bang on for the transfers.

Benitez is based in the North West of England, in the Wirrall - the family home he established during his six-years at Anfield - and the Newcastle job will mean he could still spend some of the week their, which makes the job hugely appealing.

*Wirral.

**there.