Other clubs' transfers

Dave

Sunderland make £7million move for Manchester United midfielder Carrick

Sunderland are weighing up a £7million bid for Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick.

Stadium of Light supremo Steve Bruce is preparing to raid his former club for fellow ex-Wallsend Boys Club player Carrick as he looks for an immediate replacement for captain Lorik Cana.

The Albania midfielder stunned the Wearside club earlier this week after engineering a £6m switch to Galatasaray, two days into pre-season training and just a year after joining the club from Marseille.

Carrick, who moved to Old Trafford from Tottenham for an initial £14m four years ago, would be ideal skipper material for Bruce, who has Michael Turner, Lee Cattermole or Craig Gordon as alternatives to take the captain's armband.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is prepared to listen to offers for the England midfielder, who turns 29 at the end of the month.

Wallsend-born Carrick, like Bruce a boyhood Newcastle fan, struggled to hold down a regular place at Old Trafford last season, starting only two of the last nine games as they lost their title to Chelsea.

Despite losing Cana, Bruce does have cover in central midfield following the surprise emergence of Jordan Henderson and David Meyler from the academy. But Meyler is out until Christmas at least after suffering a serious knee injury against United in May.

Cattermole, Kieran Richardson, new signing Cristian Riveros and highly rated teenager Jack Colback are other options, but Bruce wants an experienced campaigner for the start of the campaign.

Sunderland have also made a £6.5m bid for Schalke's Germany international Heiko Westermann while Argentine defender Marcos Angeleri is training on Wearside as he waits to complete a loan move from Mexico.

Rennes' Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan is under consideration but Wigan have priced Charles N'Zogbia and Maynor Figueroa out of moves to Sunderland.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1293532/Sunderland-make-7m-Manchester-United-midfielder-Carrick.html

Be gutted to see him play for the scum

I'd hate to see Carrick to play for them, Thankfully though I don't think he will. He still does a decent job for Man Utd, his wages will be above what Sunderland could afford, and quite frankly I think a bigger club would take him, thts not to mention the fact that I think he would be unlikely to be willing to play for them.

Would make sense for Fergie to get rid. He's had a shocking season for ManU and looks inferior to Gibson.

Might be a good signing for them if last season was just a blip, could easily be another Nicky Butt though, since if Carrick has looked bad for ManU then it might be alot worse in a lesser side.

He's definitely not inferior to Gibson.

Gibson is crap, like really crap. Beyond having a canny shot once in a while he's terrible technically, in terms of passing, vision etc. He actually would struggle to improve our midfield in that sense.

Gibson is crap, like really crap. Beyond having a canny shot once in a while he's terrible technically, in terms of passing, vision etc. He actually would struggle to improve our midfield in that sense.

But I take it you're referring to the Carrick that moved to ManU for £14m and had a few solid seasons for them, as opposed to the Carrick that played last year for them?

His entire game is based around his passing/distribution. He's not a natural ball winner, he's not the most athletic of players, he's not a goal threat, and technically he's very limited on the ball (which is why he passes it quickly in the first place). Since he was very poor last year in terms of passing/distributing the ball, shockingly so at times, and his touch had deserted him, he was pretty much a nothing player for ManU. Compared to Gibson, he looked inferior when Gibson did play imo. Can't say I noticed Gibson's touch/passing being awful, maybe you're right, but with Carrick being so visibly piss poor, merely posing a goal threat was enough for Gibson to look a better player imo. And given that Gibson is younger with possibly more room to improve as well as being from the ManU academy, maybe Fergie sees him as a better prospect than Carrick?

Or as Dave says, it might be that he wants to bring through other prospects. But with Scholes and Giggs on the wane, and Carrick being in a prime age for a midfielder in his position, surely Fergie wanting him out should ring alarm bells for anyone? Assuming there's truth in this rumour. And of course the notion of him being another Butt type Fergie cast-off depends on whether last season was a blip for Carrick, or the start of a slide. If Fergie does let him go, I'd hedge my bets on it being the latter - he's not infallable, but if there's a manager out there who excels at getting rid of players at the right time then it's Fergie.

But I take it you're referring to the Carrick that moved to ManU for £14m and had a few solid seasons for them, as opposed to the Carrick that played last year for them?

His entire game is based around his passing/distribution. He's not a natural ball winner, he's not the most athletic of players, he's not a goal threat, and technically he's very limited on the ball (which is why he passes it quickly in the first place). Since he was very poor last year in terms of passing/distributing the ball, shockingly so at times, and his touch had deserted him, he was pretty much a nothing player for ManU. Compared to Gibson, he looked inferior when Gibson did play imo. Can't say I noticed Gibson's touch/passing being awful, maybe you're right as it's often easy for poor players to be masked in good teams, but with Carrick being so visibly piss poor, merely posing a goal threat was enough for Gibson to look a better player imo. And given that Gibson is younger with possibly more room to improve as well as being from the ManU academy, maybe Fergie sees him as a better prospect than Carrick?

Or as Dave says, it might be that he wants to bring through other prospects. But with Scholes and Giggs on the wane, and Carrick being in a prime age for a midfielder in his position, surely Fergie wanting him out should ring alarm bells for anyone? Assuming there's truth in this rumour. And of course the notion of him being another Butt type Fergie cast-off depends on whether last season was a blip for Carrick, or the start of a slide. If Fergie does let him go, I'd hedge my bets on it being the latter - he's not infallable, but if there's a manager out there who excels at getting rid of players at the right time then it's Fergie.

To be fair, his first couple of seasons he was very good. My Man U supporting mate reckons Carrick was one of their most consistent players for the first couple of years, but said that last season was disastrous and he seems to have slipped completely - like you said. Whether he's on the downward slope or not I'm not entirely convinced, he might be, but Gibson is not the man to step up and replace him. Neither of them (Carrick or Gibson) are good enough for them in the future.

If they're planning on replacing Scholes long term with a player like Gibson then they're making a massive falldown. Gibson is a poor passer of the ball, has very little vision, doesn't have fantastic technique infact the only thing he does have which can be compared with Scholes is in being able to strike the ball well when shooting. Of course very few players have anywhere near the ability of Scholes, considering he's probably the best English midfielder since Gazza.

Even of the limited viewing I've had of Cleverley I'd rate him higher than Gibson. Despite being 2/3 years younger his vision and technique is definitely better than the Irishman's.

don't know if this has been mentioned but coyle has put a £25m price tag on gary cahill :kasper: i know managers demand silly fees for their players in bullish talk when asked about them moving but if anyone paid that for him they deserve a good whack on the head

Did Carrick not move to Man U for £18.6mill? I seem to remember that figure.

Supposedly that's the maximum possible, but over 16M has been paid up so far. Carrick and Berbatov seem like cracking deals for us (Spurs) now.

Did Carrick not move to Man U for £18.6mill? I seem to remember that figure.

Supposedly that's the maximum possible, but over 16M has been paid up so far. Carrick and Berbatov seem like cracking deals for us (Spurs) now.

Fergie has made some right dodgy spending decisions in his career TBF. Not that I don't rate Carrick, but he was pricey.